$8000 to spend on a 60....what would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't let the guys dog you on owning a 60. The 60's have a cool factor that an 80 can never touch. I drive my 80 around all the time, and I've never been waved at by another driver. Hell, most of them are soccer mom's who don't know what the hell a diff lock switch is.

The 60 has character. Love it. Keep it.

If I had $8 G's to drop on my cruiser...two words

GO DIESEL

M

Well said pismojim. I live by the rule: Have no regrets.

Buying the 60 was a defining moment for me. Even if it only makes you think I'm an idiot, here's my story.
I broke up with my live-in girlfriend of 6.5 years. (downhill relationship)
Sold my BMW Z4. (Lovely car, just didn't make me smile.)
Made a decision to buy the car I've wanted for years. (Eleanor, my FJ60).
I wrenched the cruiser for 2 months solid, hoping it would become more than yard art. (I'd never worked on a vehicle before in my life.)
And I'm quitting my job this month. Giving the double bird to corporate America and not looking back. (I'm going to acupuncture school.)

Oh yeah, one more thing. My new FJ60 introduced me to a cruiser chick. She loves cruisers and loves getting greasy. And if the story ends the way it should, we'll be steaming up the windows in the 60 for the rest of our lives.

You only live once. Like pismojim said 'Do something crazy'. Don't you want to be the one they talk about when stories are told? I do. I sure as hell don't want to be forgettable.

Amen to that!

If I was 26 again, I'd jump at an opportunity like that. It won't be long before society expects you to grow up and get married, get a mortgage, and all that other crap. Never again in your life will you be able to do this.

Take a chance. You might regret it. You might love it. Something wonderful might happen. Remember, God hates a coward. God luck in whatever you decide. And make sure you show us all pics. Maybe a digital camera would fit into that budget...

-kevin

shack, pismo
dead-flippin'-on

if there is any way you can remotely justify it, I GUARANTEE you will remember it as one of the best times in your life

best idea ever..pismo

when i was 25 i drove from miami to san fran in a '86 trooper II, camping along pch and hitting yellowstone, painted desert etc

when i was 26 i drove from miami to fairbanks in a '96 aerostar, and then back again.

i worked a bunch of jobs since then, dont remember a dam thing about them...but i still remember the beauty of america, canada, and the alaska highway.

its only 4 years later, and i got the wife and mortgage...looking to go out and do it again....but its hard as hell to find the time when life gets in the way.

everyone on this thread is right...travel the USA...dip into Canada

somehow you are 30 before you know it...and it may be too late to do this

do it NOW- and if anyone tells you it is foolish--- they are not your real friends

One more for the road trip. You'll see things, meet people, and have experiences money can't buy AND be able to build up your truck. This forum is a testament to the quality of folks who love cruisers--and we're all over the map. You never know what you might find out there either...there's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time.....

Diesel Swapout

Hey Wheezy, I know this is going to sound like blasphemy on this forum but oh well. If it was me I would put every penny of it into my retirement account. If you don't have one then now is the time to get one. I know that blinging the 60 out would be awesome to do but the reality of it is, you don't have a job right now and depending on when you plan on retiring you won't have a job then either. The reality is that $7600 you got isn't "free" money. Alot of people blow their tax money because they think it is "free" money but it isn't, you earned it so put it to good use. I hate to sound like a old coot but I am only 27 and I am just giving you my humble opinion. I would love to fix my 62 up but it won't make it more valuable to anyone but yourself anyway and if it isn't a DD then what's the point in spending the money on it if it could go to something more important. I just know that I would rather retire at 50 and do a road trip for the rest of my life versus taking a road trip for a month at 26. But there again, it is only my opinion and I hope that I haven't offended anyone with it. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

I'd rather road trip at 26, and :censor:26 year old girls along the way, than road trip at 50 and :censor: the old hag sitting next to you.

:cheers:

M1ke said:
I'd rather road trip at 26, and :censor:26 year old girls along the way, than road trip at 50 and :censor: the old hag sitting next to you.

You damn skippy.

Look, I LOVE land cruisers, but FOR GODS SAKES INVEST IT! BUY GOLD. YOUR MONEY WILL DOULBE IN LESS THAN THREE YEARS! THEY'RE LOOKING AT GOLD BEING AROUND 2000.00 AN OUNCE BY 2010!!!

BE SMART ABOU THIS.......

gnx7 said:
I would do an OME 2.5" lift/35's/extended shackles $2200, stock gears, ARB rear, '99+ 6.0 GM/NV4500/AA kit to stock FJ60 split case conversion.... If you can do the install yourself... shopped around (car-part.com)... you could do it for about $8K. That would be a pretty bad ass ride with nearly 3x the power, at least 2x the torque, better fuel economy, and excellent cold start characteristics...

Not sure how you arrived at these numbers? No way to get there with a 2F - even turbo'd. Did you intend an engine swap?

As for me, if you are keeping the 60, I would go with 4.11 thirds from an FJ62, OME 2.5" suspension and shocks, and install an H55F. Then spend the balance rebuilding the head and carb, tuning and new plugs, plug wires, etc. It will be very driveable, and get over 15 MPG.

The guy I sold my 60 to drove it to LA from NorCal, and says that he got 17 MPG on the trip.

M

dont get an 80

Holy s***, I can't believe the "buy an 80" comments!!! I am deeply in love with my fj60. The 60 is such a beautifuul statement of simplicity, ruggedness, and reliability. In my opinion it was the last of the Toyota models with those traits at its core. Even as early as the fj62, Toyota started down the path of luxury soccer mom SUV with power windows and locks. I've got a 2002 Audi A4 worth 10x my fj60 and I can't even stand the thing. As nicely as it drives, it's filled to the brim with electronic crap I have no chance of fixing. A couple of months ago I swapped out the battery myself, apparently a big no-no. Sure enough, the Audi started driving like crap, hesitating on accelaration. Apparently the microchip must be reset anytime the battery is changed. A special tool unavailable to the public is needed to do this. The 80 has more in common with my Audi than the fj60. There is absolutely nothing I could not fix on my 60 with a manual and the right parts and tools (i.e. a hammer and socket set).

Anyway, back to the original question. If I had that kind of money to play with I would do a diesel conversion, but I would stick with a Toyota Cruiser engine to keep it as close to stock as possible. My only gripe with my fj60 is the gas mileage. The mere thought that a 3 ton vehicle could get 25 mpg is heavenly. My current 10 mpg is hell.

M1ke said:

I second that, or third that, whichever it is.
I just quit my job after saving a nice chunk. Unless you are born rich (and they never appreciate it anyway) there are very few times in life when you will have time, money, and youth. For many people it's never. I've got all three right now and I could not possibly be happier. I'm taking my savings and freedom and doing a S. America trip. You could always take that money and come along, a Land Cruiser convoy...

Southbound said:
...Anyway, back to the original question. If I had that kind of money to play with I would do a diesel conversion, but I would stick with a Toyota Cruiser engine to keep it as close to stock as possible. My only gripe with my fj60 is the gas mileage. The mere thought that a 3 ton vehicle could get 25 mpg is heavenly. My current 10 mpg is hell.

More like a two ton vehicle, but it is a brick. Use dictates utility, and for many on this board an 80 just works better. The people who take long trips to primitive places ALWAYS seem to take an FJ60.

You can get much better mileage with a stock 60. Even with all the smog gear on it. With an H55F and full repairs and tuning, my (former) FJ60 (170K miles) gets over 15 MPG. Could probably do close to 17 MPG with a head and carb rebuild. A desmog and headers would probably increase efficency as well.

Mike S

8k? Job first then...
OME 3" or SOA
33" or 35" tyres
rear Aussie locker
TrailGear sliders
LT/LS1 swap or diesel
upgrade seats
think about gearing

buy a welder and a bunch of steel
go nuts
All of this could be done for about 6k...2k left in the bank!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom