80 vs. 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few additional points: 80 has slow windows, small windshield wipers, not great air for heating/cooling. Not good sound system. More uncomfortable seats. Is less safe. Poor headlights. My 80 feels like a tractor when compared to my 80. But the 80 is cool for sure.

@OffRoadRN So I am the guy that sent you over here from Reddit.
Think what I posted over there pretty much echoes what everyone else is saying here but I agree that if you are in no particular hurry it may be good to spend the next 6mos researching and going on some test drives. If you can borrow your brothers rig for a weekend, take it out and play with it so you can get a feel for how it drives and whatnot (unless it is one of those super built rigs with tons of armor, 37s, etc.).

Reddit? Never heard of it. Is that the real Land Cruiser site that is taking over Mud for technical postings?

Reddit? Never heard of it. Is that the real Land Cruiser site that is taking over Mud for technical postings?

No tech, mainly just owners with nice cruisers posting nice photos of their nice cruisers for made up internet points. I follow that subreddit and often give made up internet points to these posts because I do enjoy them. But nothing beats this forum for tech and the levity the avatar + comment combination by @Shortpencils provide.

On the subject of 80 vs. 100 - I've driven both. I drove the 230k mile FJ80 in college (lots of highway driving!) and now my 203k mile 100. It's been 7 years after moving on from the 80. My 100 has more space, more power, more comfortable. I've only owned the 100 for 6 months but i really like it.

Last edited:
If I could only own one, it would be a 100. Glad I own more than one though, because while each generation of LC may get a little better than the previous, they also lose a little bit of soul. I enjoy driving my old trucks best of all. My wife drives the 100 (LX).

If I could only own one, it would be a 100. Glad I own more than one though, because while each generation of LC may get a little better than the previous, they also lose a little bit of soul. I enjoy driving my old trucks best of all. My wife drives the 100 (LX).
This... Coming from my 60, I miss the "raw and connected" feeling that it had to driving vs. the 100. I miss rowing my own gears and just the visceral feel of it. I do love my 100 though and the usability of both are incredible. Eventually I will have another 60.

No, you're thinking UZJ100:rofl: on Farcebook.
The commie-run group
1621462717642.gif

@Somebodyelse5 @knewstance @CruiseLanderAZ

It's all a compromise and the price is pretty much the same on both these days.

My '99 came stock with a locker, no traction control (or A-Trac) and isn't winning any speed awards with the 4 speed and no VVTi.

It was as close as I wanted to get to owning a non-LS'd 80 while living at Elevation.

I have both an 80 and 100 series.

For serious off-roading it would be the 80 Series for me, for a number of reasons.

BUT....hours of highway driving to get someplace and then moderate off-road I'd pick the 100 series hands down.

They are worlds apart with respect to comfort, usable space, power.

I love my 80 series (have had it 21 years now) but the 100 series is so much more refined.

As concerns mechanics and trail fixes I'd give the nod to the 80 series and generally feel like it will get me home no matter what, but a well maintained/prepared 100 series should be pretty reliable too.

IF it were just me and the Wife (and our Dachshunds) I'd probably take the 80 series on camping/overlanding trips, but when hauling more than two people and your gear....you NEED the 100 (or a trailer).

Split the differance and Just get a 105. 100 series comfort and solid axle.

I own both an FZJ 80 and an 06 LX470. I shipped the 80 to my place in Belize where it shines on those rutted out rough roads and nobody cares how fast it goes. The 470 is magnificent here in the US, for me it has plenty of power and a great ride. It's more than capable for anything I would do here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom