80 vs. 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for my first LC/LX and am stuck between choosing an 80 or a 100 series. I will be using this for doing an overland build. I will be doing day trips to local fire service roads, with some overnight camping here and there. I hope to do at least one multi-day over landing trip a year.

The 80 is obviously more capable and it seems easier to do suspension mods on, plus it just has that old school cool aesthetic. The draw of the hundred series is it seems to be larger and more comfortable, which may become important down the line as I have two small children. I'm afraid that if I get an 80 that they will not want to spend all day in the backseat, let alone and multi-day camping trip on the trail. It seems like even though it isn't quite as capable as the 80 series, it is plenty capable for my needs. The only downside I see is it doesn't look as cool and it is much more complicated when it comes to wrenching. I'm not a super good mechanic but I know how to follow YouTube video, and my brother is CAT mechanic who owns a 91 FJ80.

Another part of my conundrum is how the market is right now. For example for $8k I found a very clean 91 FJ 80, with 270k miles. I also found an LX 450 with an ARB bumper and winch that has 205k miles, asking $12k. For the hundred series I have found a few examples that are between 150 and 200,000 mi and they're asking prices have been $14k to $17k. It seems like for not a whole lot more money I can get a newer platform as a base for my build. My rational side says 100 series is the better choice but my emotional side is telling me I may regret not getting an 80, though I am concerned about buying a 30-year-old vehicle with such high miles, as well as fitting a family of four in it for years to come.

I posted this in another forum, obviously the people in this forum are probably biased towards the 100. Who has had an 80 and moved to a 100 or vice versa, thoughts? Regrets?

What should I do?!

Purchase both and add a 200. And a 40. And a 60.

Joking aside I purchased a 200, fell in love with the ethos and heritage of the Toyota platforms and added a 100. Consensus seems to be (and rightly so) that maintenance history should be of paramount importance. From personal experience, I’d say that’s especially true with the older generations. If that history is not complete/well-documented, plan on investing further to “fill in the gaps”.

I can’t speak to the 80 series platform, but the 100 has been (for myself, at least) a great platform for daily-driver/off-road applications. Easy to not sweat little dings here and there, and know that it will fire when you turn the key.

Given the purposes for which you seem to plan on using it, probably anything with low-range 4x4 will work, so just go with your heart. Life is too short not to invest in that which stirs you.

I bought a really nice 100 for the V8 for towing and 4x4 was secondary. Then I was hooked on 4x4 driving and bought a cheap, beat up 80 to build as a dedicated wheeling rig. I am really glad I did it this way instead of starting with a clean 80.

My impressions:
-FZJ80s are so slow they are miserable to drive on the road. Probably better at sea level but not much. I can't imagine trying to drive on the interstate in an FJ80 with even less power
-Both get the same horrible MPG but at least in the 100 you get something for it.
-My LX470 stock for stock offroad blows away my open diff 80 series. No comparison. My LX walks up stuff all day long the 80 could never do. A triple locked 80 might be a different story
-My stock 80 has no where near the suspension travel or articulation of my LX470, constantly lifting wheels whereas the LX is planted
-The 80 series by far has more potential as a dedicated wheeler but it's gonna need lots of parts.
-80s are maintenance pigs compared to a 100
-The 80 drives like an old tractor on the highway whereas my LX470 drives like a Mercedes Benz.

Since your plans are to take your family on road trips and do camping out of the vehicle I would definitely suggest a 100 series.

The 100 will be more than capable for your intended usage, has more room inside than an 80, be more comfortable and ride smoother on long highway trips, and of course has the 2uz engine that is among the most reliable and longest lasting engines that Toyota ever made. I love my 80 and the 80s are superior off-road, but you don’t need coil sprung solid axles to run FS roads. The 80 is also slow and the engine might shoot a rod through the block or eat a head gasket any day now.

You only live once :flipoff2:

You only live once :flipoff2:

Oh man I wish I never saw this haha.

My personal opinion on the matter coming from a situation exactly like you (knowing exactly nothing going into the Land Cruiser club).

(I'm a huge BMW guy for the record/context)
When I test drove my first 80 series I was on the fence about it. The interior was horrendous, the buttons were tiny and primitive/outdated, and it just had way too many mechanical/electrical issues i'd have to tackle before getting into the fun overland build mods. Knowing what I know now as a 100 series owner, the solid front axle is a huge bonus for the 80, the exterior looks awesome and utilitarian, but almost all have bad paint at this point in their lives.

When I test drove my first 100, I absolutely knew right away this was what I wanted. Granted, it drove HORRENDOUSLY. The tires were shot, the suspension was stock and tired, the brakes barely worked, but I just knew and it felt right and that the 100 was for me. I drove it home that day almost 100 miles through the mountains.

Test drive both, you'll know. I don't regret my decision at all and one day plan on doing a SAS.

Ex 80 series owner, current 100 series owner. Buy the newest truck you can afford that has a decent history. Its that simple. Each series of truck is better than the previous one and unless you plan on rock crawling skip the stick axles and lockers.

For example: My 80 series did not have front and rear lockers. I bought decent tires and spent six years driving it at 120 kph on the gravel roads of Nam, Bots, and ZA. My only mods beyond the tires, OME HD no lift springs front and back and a bull bar to keep off the flora and fauna.

The only bit I miss on the 80, the center console fridge. Damn thing made ice in 45C heat in the Namib desert and kept my gin and tonics cold while on the road.

Used car market is crazy high right now. Hold your money.

This goes for pretty much anything other than the necessities right now. Spend this summer researching which one you want and watch the market. Be prepared to jump on a great deal if it comes up but don't justify over paying because the market is hot. Write this year off and do the same things you've been doing all along. Instead of paying top dollar just to have something today, keep saving money and wait for your chance to capitalize when the market drops. I have a couple major purchases / projects that I put on hold just for this reason. It is financially irresponsible to get caught up in the buying frenzy.

As for which model to go with, I've had a triple locked 80 and now I'm in a 100. I sure do miss the 80 but I still wouldn't trade my 100 to get it back. Other than the hit at the gas station, the 100 fits our family of 4 perfectly. It tows the camper or side by side with relative ease and it comfortably sleeps 2 while out in the backcountry. It's also the preferred road trip vehicle, choosing it over my wife's 2017 GX almost every time.

Last edited:
since you posted this in the 100 series forum, you'll typically get more responses biased towards the 100. If you were/have post to the 80 series forum, I'm sure it would be the other way around. I say buy the vehicle that accomplishes what you want it to do for you and your family the most.

Whatever you decide, buy QUICKLY, the Land Cruiser market is HOT, and a cleaner vehicle suitable for an overlanding rig is going to command a premium. Alternatively, you could buy cheap and then build up, but that's a bigger project.
In my mind, a 100 is better for long distance trips, mild to medium trails, and a little more comfort. an 80 is better for shorter trips, medium to hard trails. 80s are a little simpler to work on, have better aftermarket support and will take more abuse on the trail than a 100, but most are HAMMERED and if you find a really nice one you might pay more than you would for a 100. If you're OK with a well-used truck that needs a lot more work, then an 80 might be the ticket, just expect to do a lot of work to get it there.
100s are HOT right now and the market reflects that, trucks that were in the $13K-$15K range a couple of years ago are $17K-$19K now and showing no signs of slowing down. 100s were imported in much smaller numbers than 80s and a large percentage seems to have gone to NE states (beware significant rust).

I began my Landcruiser life with an 80 and now have a 100 and used both as you intend to use yours. That being said here are my thoughts.

80 Pros- maintenance is cheaper on the 80 and more doable in the field, the 80 rides like a truck which I like, the 80 is simple

80 Cons- slower (mine was only good for about 70mph on the highway), more simple, and the big one that really concerned me with the 80 is that there are several accidents documented here on mud where the A-pillars collapsed during a roll over

100 Pros- amazing V8 engine, more comfortable, more airbags, better A-pillars, roomier, better seats

100 Cons- some very expensive parts and some (brake booster) seem to fail with little notice, more complex

In the end I found myself primarily driving the 100 so I sold my 80. That being said, I was always confident my 80 would not leave me stranded in the woods due to a failed part. I do not feel that way about my 100.

Cheers,
Scot

I approached buying into a Land Cruiser like yourself. I really wanted an 80 for solid axles and aesthetics, but I also liked the 100. I went and test drove both of them back to back. It was pretty clear that the 100 was better suited for my needs (which were about the same as you). I've now put 105k miles on the 100 and am still happy with my choice.

@OffRoadRN So I am the guy that sent you over here from Reddit.
Think what I posted over there pretty much echoes what everyone else is saying here but I agree that if you are in no particular hurry it may be good to spend the next 6mos researching and going on some test drives. If you can borrow your brothers rig for a weekend, take it out and play with it so you can get a feel for how it drives and whatnot (unless it is one of those super built rigs with tons of armor, 37s, etc.).

Know that in CA things are going to be more expensive so look in the NON-Rustbelt states for stuff. I purchased Alita from another member here through the classifieds and flew down to Vegas to drive back. Neighbor just sold her 99 with 240k on it for full asking to a guy that flew over from Missouri and then drove it back. So the market is pretty hot, while things are going quickly and I would suggest jumping on something if you find a particular truck that catches your fancy, do your due-diligence and have a PPI done, get all the maintenance history and post any questions here. There may be a good likelihood that we have seen it.

Or if you expand your search and find something in a different state, hit up some of their club members in the relevant Clubhouse section to see if you can bribe someone to go check it out for you. I have done this for a few guys and always good to get someone with a bit of LC knowledge to go check something out if you cannot see in person.

The 80 is obviously more capable

This isnt technically true. I've owned a few 80's and a few 100's. An 80 with just a center diff lock cannot outwheel my 100 series with atrac. However, my 80 series that was triple locked was simply unstoppable.

I'm currently in a built 100 with atrac. We run harder trails that require sliders, etc... I almost never use my cdl and just let atrac do its thing.

So my vote in here would be a 2000 and up. speed, comfort, quiet cabin, atrac.

Also, do not buy a 91-92 80. haha.

Either would be great and plenty capable in stock form without modifying suspension or otherwise "building".

100 is more highway friendly, probably safer and likely to be a better value in today's insane used Cruiser market, so this model certainly makes more sense.
Me? I'd get an FZJ80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom