Builds ?????????80 tm Build Input Requested (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sliders without hoops wouldn't stick out far enough to prevent door dings would they? I can't imagine a slider sticking out further than the steps unless you do something like one of the guys here did making a step slider out of some 4"x2" rectangular tube or something I can't remember who it was though.

Yeah I figured that LX drivetrain might make it into a restomod 55.

Sounds like you have a lot of projects to manage, better start some tracking boards on the walls for each one. lol.

Y

Pretty close......the '76 Pig is gonna split DD duties with this 80 and the FZJ73 is gonna be the dedicated rock donkey.

But, you forgot the LX450 drivetrain/chassis and that something is gonna grace Don's shop floor next fall, which may change the direction the '72 resto was headed.... I dunno yet.

My thought on sliders was door ding protection, but prolly unnecessary.....

Original plan was pull flares and rack, weld up the holes, deaden, then, with interior pulled, paint and body.

Prolly go back that direction, then tackle top end and other PM after, in preparation for SC.

Thinking the Alpine Carplay deck, new door/dash speakers and some kinda sub that'll minimally protrude beyond the rear quarter, but little ways to go before buying anything.

I have never liked the deflaring - and even after looking at so many deflared rigs here on MUD, I still don't like it :doh:
There is like and there is function for the local trails you wheel.

I deeply apologize for my literary inadequacy. I will strive to provide our noble readership with a more powerful and informative prose in the near future.

I like flares and step sliders.

I have never liked the deflaring - and even after looking at so many deflared rigs here on MUD, I still don't like it :doh:

I feel the same way. It's kind of like when a super sexy girl cuts all her hair off and all her friends are like "Oh, I really love your new haircut! It's so cute!"; but in reality it's not cute. It's not cute at all. The only exception to me would be jcardona1's 80 or possibly a rare 80 like this. Not sure how good it would look flareless with the two tone paint though. I've always been a firm believer in trying to equalize looks and function. Otherwise, we would all be driving around in exoskeleton flareless 80's right?

Sliders without hoops wouldn't stick out far enough to prevent door dings would they?

Prolly not and a stupid rationale, anyway.

Subconsciously, must've not wanted to admit I thought it'd look cool, and it sounds kinda ghey to have "MT door dinger protectors".

Bahahaha.

Have a set to play with, should a visual be necessary, but not cutting these cats out, since I appreciate a quieter 1FZ.

Sounds like you have a lot of projects to manage, better start some tracking boards on the walls for each one. lol.

Ain't that what MUD's for?

At least this one should be quick and painless.

It's kind of like when a super sexy girl cuts all her hair off and all her friends are like "Oh, I really love your new haircut! It's so cute!"; but in reality it's not cute. It's not cute at all.

If she had it going on before the chop, she'll still be sexy after, though.

The only exception to me would be jcardona1's 80 or possibly a rare 80 like this.

I take offense....

image.jpg

Bahahaha.

Not sure how good it would look flareless with the two tone paint though.

Not very good.....

Will have to paint after welding, so thinking monotone, or possibly Moonglow highlights.

If she hadn't evidence of previous surgery, wouldn't consider and would leave alone, but because of the previous respray and few other items, it's a blank slate.

What I meant to say was "The only exception(s) to me, would be jcardona1's 80 and Delancy's 450". My new theory is that you need a cool set of after market wheels in order to properly pull off the flareless look.

As to my other theory:

anne-hathaway-les-miserables.jpg

Prolly think I'm crazy....well, I kinda am, but irrelevant.

What would be the consensus of the best solution to spray the recessed areas of the wheels in Moonglow?

Gonna try one of the better of six I have, first, but tubbing, blasting, sanding the recesses, painting, turning, then clearing and can't find a color close in anything.

If none exists, what's the closest color in a readily available product to the darker OE gray on the wheels.

The 40th Anniversary and Collector's Edition trucks had the "D" windows painted the same dark grey as the side moldings. They look nice...same effect for you with Moonglow Pearl (color code 1A6:https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form-1a.cgi ). Surprisingly, the 40th Anniversary antique Sage Pearl is available in rattle cans from Duplicolor...so you might be able to find color-matched rattle can for the Moonglow...go for it.

Some automotive paint stores can make up single stage spray packs. I had the local Napa paint shop make me up some 6M1 to paint my door handles, they came out very well.

Out of six wheels, only the spare with OE tire can turn down.....

Be it the wheels weights that've hammered on through the years, or the pitting at the center, the dood's telling me it's gonna take a 1/16th to get down far enough and the caps ain't gonna work.

What he's suggesting, I ain't hearing, since I have no desire to blast and paint monotone, matte black, gun metal, and blasting, masking, and painting two tone ain't gonna work, either.

Dunno how stupid, but asked him to blast the sixth, chuck it up and see what kinda brushed finish may be possible, then go from there, my thinking that the brushed may look decent under the clear, and it'd still allow for painting the "D".

Didn't pitch too much a fit about doing, but still doesn't completely help solve the issue, since he's the best out of six to begin with, so I'm probably posing money away.

If new were the same as the OEs, prolly bite the bullet and call it a day.....but have some hair brained idear about "incorporating" Moonglow into the wheel, as well the sides of the body to kinda keep the two tone thing going on after the flares come off.

I think I may need professional help....

I got comfy....

View attachment 1000571

Please note the mismatched headrests.

I'm on a worldwide hunt for the two front that correspond, so if anyone happens upon, please bag the damn unicorns and I'll gladly compensate for the hunt.

I have no idea in hell how I found this thread, or this post. But maybe its some form of unicorn fate or whatnot. I have a very good idea where the headrests you need are. If you still need them lemme know and ill give you the info.

btw, i did read the the rest of the thread, but everyone had the comments covered and i didnt have anything to add

Will

Kinda squirreled this thread with the inclusion of the 80, since there's movement in the ash pile that was formerly original thread topic LX.

Guess I'll worry about sorting out later, but perusing body swap/chop options on the LX and hoping to firm direction in a few days.

Either option will result a single cab configuration, a dedicated wheeler more than DDer, but driveable to wheel and not look Sanford-ish on the journey.

Few questions I have:

Can the a pillars be cut at dash and section a donor in, without it being an issue with windshield fitment or pose issues later I'm not thinking of?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

How about the Bs?

image.jpg

Pretty much, thinking chop the roof off at the last portion of each pillar that isn't bent, welding a donor on.

I've not seen this done, but haven't seen many caged 80s, nor do I recall what's below, but is there any reason the cage pillar can't go to the floor by cutting a hole in the dash corners?

image.jpg

Will be figuring out in the next few, but contemplating these possible configurations.

70 chopped to 75 cab

image.jpg

A ton of work and may preclude usage this wheeling season. If I don't use for this, it'll be stretched and used on another 80 chassis in the future.

Prolly my favorite, but don't know that weight was saved, nor is it completely functional.

image.jpg

Extended

image.jpg

In discussions with Christo, he'd said the Javelina was the best all around configuration he'd built from an 80, which I think they coined "style side" in Oz, him suggesting body/bed separation.

image.jpg

Have to bob the ass end, a more functional bed, but may not address all ails, I dunno.

Bed wouldn't be that big of a deal and thinking a taco bed is, damn near, perfect width. Could tub for the tires, keep the rear intact. hanging the 80 panels off the bed rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom