80 series-welding steering arms to knuckles? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
I’ve read about steering arms being welded to the knuckle as a temporary fix but apparently this shop has successfully used this as a permanent durability upgrade. I’m open to any knowledge, experience and opinions on this.

A few problems:
1. A solution looking for a problem
2. Will never get the king pin bearing or balls off ever again
3. potential for warping the ball
4. heat affecting the lower bearing

other than that... go for it!

A few problems:
1. A solution looking for a problem
2. Will never get the king pin bearing or balls off ever again
3. potential for warping the ball
4. heat affecting the lower bearing

other than that... go for it!
you can 100% remove the knuckle and bearing by just removing the top cap, I did like 37 knuckle rebuilds on 80's like this in my shop last year

you can 100% remove the knuckle and bearing by just removing the top cap, I did like 37 knuckle rebuilds on 80's like this in my shop last year
OK wasn't sure about that, thanks Matt.

It's definitely not a solution looking for a problem either. I've seen *i think* three 80s with the studs pulled out of the knuckles, or broken knuckles, in the past two years. Preventing the steering arm from moving independently of the knuckle with a welded plate is not a bad idea at all.

Last edited:
37? Seriously? That many people weld arms and knuckles together?

I tried to find the info on his Instagram feed, but Brennan Metcalf (@Mieser ) did something similar to his FJ80 steering arms (on a custom FJ80 chassing with custom FJ45ish body). Seems like a cheap solution to a problem if you don't need high steer.

37? Seriously? That many people weld arms and knuckles together?
No. He's just saying he doesn't remove the lower arms when he does a knuckle rebuild.....

If you prep and weld it correctly, this seems like a solid solution. I don't think you really need the gusset. Just super clean the parts, add some weld preps to the joint, bolt it together, preheat, weld with 70 series wire and do a little stress relief with a needle scaler as it cools.

Yes, it will distort the knuckle housing a tiny amount, but so does just bolting it on with the trunnion bearings under proper tension.

The problem as I see it, is finding a skilled welder that will do this job for parts that will drive on the road. This is a DIY job and you best know what you're doing.

If you prep and weld it correctly, this seems like a solid solution. I don't think you really need the gusset. Just super clean the parts, add some weld preps to the joint, bolt it together, preheat, weld with 70 series wire and do a little stress relief with a needle scaler as it cools.

Yes, it will distort the knuckle housing a tiny amount, but so does just bolting it on with the trunnion bearings under proper tension.

The problem as I see it, is finding a skilled welder that will do this job for parts that will drive on the road. This is a DIY job and you best know what you're doing.
I do my a welding. Not a do but did go to school for what that’s worth. If I do anything I’ll put the gussets on so the arms can be remove easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom