80 Series PopTop Conversion by Campteq (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decision! Decision! It's been in my mind for 3 yrs. before I came to conclusion that is no regret.
It start in Nov. 2019 when I commented on a post by Fitgarage, regarding their 70 series Troopy Alucab PopTop conversion. I said " If you guy make one for the 80 I would be interest". The reply back from Fitgarage is that Campteq have one that you should talk to. Yes, I'm aware that Campteq does make a handful of PopTop conversion for the 80 and currently discontinued. I got a message from @Campteq Eric Lippencott, the next day ask me if I was looking for a PopTop. The rest is history. I connected and drove from California to Aspen Co, during the Christmas Holiday. Some of you might ask why PopTop. The are many good, great roof top tents (RTT) in the market that available, and I did have an RTT by Freespirit for 3 yrs. Great RTT. But I find that a PopTop is what appeal to me because of dual usage and QUICK SET UP. I can use it as a room (standing room) as a camper van, during bad weather living in it and to sleep during the night. I travel with my wife, and 2 dogs ( Chilli, heeler) (Pesto, Blacklab). I used it for exploring the back country during weekend and extend holiday and to from my Ranch IG: @BlackDiamondofftheGrid. Also the weigh saving vs RTT and aerodynamic. At least for me, the decision to cut the roof is the determine factor beside cost. So I wait 5 months after the PopTop conversion done before I decide to write about the PopTop experience. It sleep 2 adults comfortable. I'm 5'7" and wife 5'3".
If you have to get up during the night, the other person have to scoot aside to be able to open the partial sleeping platform to access. We currently using a 2" foam pad for sleeping. All and All we love it.

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

E6dhbQj3QE2qKn4YUqTpcw.jpg

59944835383__EBC5B2BD-3CAF-428A-BAE9-4CEAA64E4308.JPG

vx0618sJQkimGnoOzcGYxg.jpg

I have some curiosity in doing this, but it raises some questions. Did you have to find a shop to install, or go direct with CampTEQ for install, or do it yourself? Do you mind mentioning costs? Is the stock headliner modified or does the CampTEQ unit include a new headliner? Do you need to add bracing since you're removing so much of the roof, and is it included or extra? How long did install take? Any changes, positive or negative, to off-road driving (i.e. Less/more noise, leaks, dust entry) or other things people should consider before going this route?

Hey Dave! Good to see you on here. Your Campteq is very well finished. Eric did a great job. Can’t wait to see how you build it out!

Hey Dave! Good to see you on here. Your Campteq is very well finished. Eric did a great job. Can’t wait to see how you build it out!
Chris,
Again Congratulations on your new family (LC)
Takes lots of planing and design that will work for us. Stay tune!

I have some curiosity in doing this, but it raises some questions. Did you have to find a shop to install, or go direct with CampTEQ for install, or do it yourself? Do you mind mentioning costs? Is the stock headliner modified or does the CampTEQ unit include a new headliner? Do you need to add bracing since you're removing so much of the roof, and is it included or extra? How long did install take? Any changes, positive or negative, to off-road driving (i.e. Less/more noise, leaks, dust entry) or other things people should consider before going this route?

1. All done by Eric, at Campteq facility in Aspen Co.
2. Approx. 10k-12K
3. No Bracing what so ever.
4. All inclusive. Headliner.
5. Time to install 2 days. That you have to coordinate with Campteq. They make a special arrangement for me since I drove 2 days to Aspen, Co.
6 Positive Note: Drives like a regular rig. No wind drag. Neg: a little wind noice came through the hinge.
Most people start with ground tent, sleep inside , RTT... I chose this route after have done all above mentioned.
Btw, I'm Not sponsor by Campteq. I'm writing this because as a fellow overland I thought I share this experience and there people have the same concern and thought before invest in a large chuck of $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom