80 Series Hidden Winch Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those of you that have installed these - I’m having some trouble getting my bumper back on and lined up.

Seems like the bottom corners of the mount (when looking straight at it, the bottom right and left corners below where the fair lead would attach) are touching the bumper on the inside and keeping me from pushing it back far enough to re-attach the brackets.

Anyone else have this issue?

For those of you that have installed these - I’m having some trouble getting my bumper back on and lined up.

Seems like the bottom corners of the mount (when looking straight at it, the bottom right and left corners below where the fair lead would attach) are touching the bumper on the inside and keeping me from pushing it back far enough to re-attach the brackets.

Anyone else have this issue?

I have tested this on 3 different stock bumpers with no issues. Designed off a 92 and test fit on a 94 and 97 as well with OEM bumpers.

I have tested this on 3 different stock bumpers with no issues. Designed off a 92 and test fit on a 94 and 97 as well with OEM bumpers.
I have no doubt it’s something I’m doing wrong, just hoping someone would have experienced it already.

Got it figured out, as I thought, it was an issue with my cruiser.

For anyone else in the future - the front bumper brackets took some massaging. Pretty sure the PO had done some type of work in the front bumper so I had to loosen every bolt on the support brackets and re-align all of them. Tedious, but the mount fits in there perfect.

Got it figured out, as I thought, it was an issue with my cruiser.

For anyone else in the future - the front bumper brackets took some massaging. Pretty sure the PO had done some type of work in the front bumper so I had to loosen every bolt on the support brackets and re-align all of them. Tedious, but the mount fits in there perfect.

No "massaging" Just removed the bumper with brackets off the frame rail, installed mount and bolted back up.

Post pics when finished.

J

Finished it all up this week. I had installed the mount a few weeks ago but didn't have time to cut the bumper and mount the winch and control box until this week. Pretty sure I'm going to switch out the safety thimble for the Factor 55 Flat Splicer, but other than that I think it came out pretty well.

IMG_1573.JPEG
IMG_1574.JPEG

Finished it all up this week. I had installed the mount a few weeks ago but didn't have time to cut the bumper and mount the winch and control box until this week. Pretty sure I'm going to switch out the safety thimble for the Factor 55 Flat Splicer, but other than that I think it came out pretty well.

View attachment 3206397View attachment 3206398
Beautiful rig!! I'm looking to install the hidden winch too. Where did you end up relocating the control box? no clearance issues with the clutch? Any install pix would be appreciated.

Beautiful rig!! I'm looking to install the hidden winch too. Where did you end up relocating the control box? no clearance issues with the clutch? Any install pix would be appreciated.
I put the control box in the engine bay next to the coolant overflow bottle. Made a bracket out of aluminum bar that I just bent and drilled and tapped to fit the spot.

For the clutch, I wanted access from the top as well as access to see the rope spooling on the winch so I cut an opening in the top of the bumper.

CA5FBD35-72D0-4F8D-ABDE-1437DB1EF733.jpeg
85BF6F99-C87F-45E7-90E6-1131FA169C8C.jpeg
17BD75BD-9609-4424-B42A-6567EF60EE98.jpeg
38010CA6-ECCE-4953-965B-0D6D05633997.jpeg

I put the control box in the engine bay next to the coolant overflow bottle. Made a bracket out of aluminum bar that I just bent and drilled and tapped to fit the spot.

For the clutch, I wanted access from the top as well as access to see the rope spooling on the winch so I cut an opening in the top of the bumper.

View attachment 3226880View attachment 3226882View attachment 3226884View attachment 3226883
I was eyeing that spot too, and good idea about access from the top of the bumper. Thank you very much! I'll post pics to when I do mine...hopefully soon. :D

Quick update - now with the Factor 55 Flat Splicer and Rope Guard installed. I like the cleaner look and won't hit my knees as much.

IMG_1675.JPEG

Need some help with my TT hidden winch mount. I'm not sure if I was sent the wrong mount but my bumper will not go back into the stock mounting holes because the bottom and front of the mount stop the bumper from reaching any holes. I was able to get a bolt into an unused hole but it's seriously nose down. Any thoughts?

20230526_155552.jpg

20230526_154555.jpg

20230526_154527.jpg

@stevesoutriding I think the issue is in relation to the hole you need to cut in the bumper to allow the front of the hidden winch to poke through. I may be way off but…..

Mine hit at the same spot, but not nearly as bad. I just had to widen the hole on the left in your photo, but everything worked OK in the end. Both bolts on each side fit back in the original spot/holes. I’ll attach a couple photos from my install a year ago and maybe you can see some thing that will help.

4CE36B7E-94DD-4B88-899B-CAC84BDC4AE1.jpeg

A17A95AF-3642-4414-AED7-C8F04392D78D.jpeg

90EEC8D5-D484-431A-8F51-88A8B316173B.jpeg

63B274C1-C30D-4662-9CCD-3DCF3334FCBF.jpeg

411BEFD9-4FA6-495A-8249-A1405D16C175.jpeg

If my memory is correct, the 91-94 bumper is shorter that the 95-97 bumper. So you may need to cut a whole in the bumper for the front of the plate (where the fairlead bolts to) to protrude through.
I could be wrong.

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep fiddling with it and update my progress. My expectation was to only have to cut out for the fairlead. My goal was to keep my rig looking as original as possible.

Fellas. I don't think this is going to work on my 93. I set the bumper on jack stands and leveled it out. My bracket is 2.25 inches from the top and bottom bolt holes. If I did cut a hole for the entire front of the plate it looks like the winch will prevent the bumper from moving inboard any further as there's only 2 inches until the bumper hits my winch. Even if I enlarge the bumper bracket holes I'd run the risk of the bumper rattling and scraping on the winch.

20230528_130157.jpg

20230528_130210.jpg

20230528_130348.jpg

20230528_130731.jpg

Agreed. 93 bumper is too short. Although one of the aesthetics of that year I like.
Maybe source a 95-97 bumper? They come up from time to time when someone gets an aftermarket bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom