80 on tracks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandLocked93

SILVER Star
Threads
Just curious the opinions and testimonies out there on putting tracks on an 80 series.
Overall, is the cost less than the benefit on average? edit:in the kind of environment for which they are designed
For example [credit to whomever]
1645593924574.png

My opinion is that it’s kinda ridiculous.

Probably better off buying a dedicated tracked vehicle if you really need it.

I think it's awesome and if you do it I want to come get a ride.

Neat, but needs a pretty strong use case if you are trying to make a cost basis argument. IIRC, cost of such an install was somewhere north of $20,000. That kind of cash still buys a lot of Land Cruiser parts...or a lot of Land Cruiser parts and a good used snowmobile.

This dudes car I found today needed tracks on his Lexus...View attachment 2935079
Indeed. I see a couple of those a season around here too. Makes me a little sick when I contemplate that happening to me ol'e 80. 👎

I remember finding this guy blocking a water crossing a few years ago. Water had to go around till winter came in and nearly swallowed the thing.
0310181356b.jpg

Last edited:
Neat, but needs a pretty strong use case if you are trying to make a cost basis argument. IIRC, cost of such an install was somewhere north of $20,000. That kind of cash still buys a lot of Land Cruiser parts...or a lot of Land Cruiser parts and a good used snowmobile.
Right. Apart from being independently wealthy, can only see them being worth it if they make you money.
But boy do they level up the capability in snow.

Right. Apart from being independently wealthy, can only see them being worth it if they make you money.
But boy do they level up the capability in snow.
I’d settle for dependently wealthy…just saying.

Carnage in the backwoods like that is spooky. I’m sure they were not setup for a walk out🥲

Indeed. I see a couple of those a season around here too. Makes me a little sick when I contemplate that happening to me ol'e 80. 👎

I remember finding this guy blocking a water crossing a few years ago. Water had to go around till winter came in and nearly swallowed the thing.
View attachment 2935296
Dear god. That’s horrible.

A good friend of mine has a set of Mattracks on his Sequoia. It is vehicle used almost solely for getting in and out of their cabin in the winter. Side, note he also has a Pisten Bully Snowcat (used to be a ski hill groomer). The Snowcat is a huge benefit because it can prep the road to their cabin not only for them, but for others with cabins in the area. But the snowcat doesn't have room for his whole family so the tracked Sequoia is used for getting the family in and out of the cabin. It is supremely effective in the snow when compared to a similar vehicle on 4 wheels, even with lockers and snow chains.

So is it worth it? For my friend it is. Could he do what he needs to without it? Yep he did for years by making several trips in and out to the cabin on Snomobiles to get his family to the cabin. That required enough effort that it made total sense to spend the money on a set of tracks instead of additional snomobiles just to get his family to the cabin with fewer trips.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

If I had the means, I would have a tracked vehicle. Also, if I had a cabin or other reason, definitely.

I occasionally use a tracked UTV for work. They're nice for deep powder and mild off-road.

Snow hides many obstacles, and, tracked vehicles are a mixed bag. They don't do well with off camber, side slopes, since they want to slide, and the added height makes them more top heavy. Similar to snowmobiles, but, snowmobiles, you shift your weight and offset the slope; not so much in a vehicle.

Tracks certainly take you in far more places than tires and chains. However, if you get stuck, you usually don't have comparably equipped help coming to your rescue.

Trees and other buried debris can be another issue with tracks.

I think the cost benefit is not enough to justify, unless you find a killer deal, or use them significantly. Their cool factor doesn't seem to be enough to justify the expense.

I agree with @LandLocked93, they're expensive, and they should make you money-tour guiding, snow area transport, etc. In high elevation Sierras, there's a few companies doing snowmobile shuttles. You could do the same, but with heated interior and more seating

I run tracks on my ATVs in winter... they compliment the snowmobiles in winter for "deep" snow

These will get places no tires even with chains will get to

img_4718-jpg.104050

img_4721-png.104051
img_4720-jpg.104049

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice thread resurrection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom