$80/liter transfer case oil (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am about to take on this project myself. I recently took my 200 in to get a 55K service and the advisor came back to me and tried to sell me $800 of fuel injector cleaner, power steering flush, and HVAC mold preventative. I told them i just wanted to go by what's in the manual. He proceeded to tell me the dealer manual was different than what is in the owners manual. I almost lost my mind on the guy. They could have uncharged me on the Diff fluid changes and i probably would have been ok (since they missed it at the 50K service too). Now i dont trust them so i am going to do it on my own. I will still take it for oil and filter change since they only charge $80 and rotate the tires while they have it.

Has anyone seen that Mobil 1 and Castrol both make a 75W?

Mobil Gear Oil FE 75W  

It appears to only be for the EU markets though....
Ughh, sucks man. Just another one of the thousands of examples of dealers trying to make a buck.

I worked at a dealership in college. That’s the one of the main reasons I do all, and I mean all, of my own work.

5283E746-12CE-4088-8988-D79DBE04CFE7.jpeg

8834D901-1599-44DB-89C5-D92CF465A622.jpeg
Straight out of my owners manual for my 2013

Have you tested it or is this just off of feel?

I never had CDL issues with the 75w. Went to a 75-110, issues. Especially below 60°F outside. When back to 75w, no issues. Coincidence, maybe, but that’s why we analysis stuff right?

In case anyone is wondering why I did 75-110. It’s becuase I don’t have factory diff gears or axle bearings. So my requirements changed. And it would of been nice to have one less fluid to source, but oh well.

My point was that I had the 75W LF that Toyota now uses, and I have the occasional flashing CDL just like those in 2008-2009 models which didn't use the 75W LF. So anecdotally I don't think the expensive LF fluid has any impact on the flashing CDL/4Lo engagement issues that seem to crop up. Also anecdotally when I switches from 75W LF to the Amsoil severe duty diff gear oil I noticed zero difference in MPG - not saying there isn't a miniscule difference in a fraction of a MPG, just that I didn't see it.

Sounds a lot like something mercedes benz would do.

Could be worse, oil change for a Bugatti Veyron is quoted to be $21,000.

At least with toyota it’s a somewhat rare viscosity and something they don’t sell a whole lot of.

I get that Bugatti will say the same thing, but I wonder if “because we can” is actually typed somewhere on the invoice

Great thread.

But I do find it funny that when it comes to oil, we're so particular. Respecting the manual for differences between the LX570 and the LC, and different model years.

Yet, when it comes to fuel octane, it's all marketing!

:flipoff2:

Great thread.

But I do find it funny that when it comes to oil, we're so particular. Respecting the manual for differences between the LX570 and the LC, and different model years.

Ehhh, not so fast brother. Plenty of people with 2010+ 200s throwing 75w-90 gear oil in their T-cases. In fact, I bet more are skipping the 75w requirement, than adhearing to it.

Ehhh, not so fast brother. Plenty of people with 2010+ 200s throwing 75w-90 gear oil in their T-cases. In fact, I bet more are skipping the 75w requirement, than adhearing to it.

I'd bet more people do that than put RUG into a LX.

It's partially ironic and partially in jest. Some people just see more value in certain things I guess. Marketing might have programmed us that way :)

I'll tell you what I'm doing since I'm due for major service. This thread has been super helpful.

Mobil 1 75W90 in all diffs and transfer case. Actually, its Mobil 1 Delvac 75W90 that I have sitting around that's meant for my other car, but I'll just use it here since I have it.

Toyota ATF WS in the tranny.

I'm not really much of a fluid snob. Good fluids serviced regularly will do the trick on this vehicle. But octane I won't compromise on.

It's partially ironic and partially in jest. Some people just see more value in certain things I guess. Marketing might have programmed us that way :)

I'll tell you what I'm doing since I'm due for major service. This thread has been super helpful.

Mobil 1 75W90 in all diffs and transfer case. Actually, its Mobil 1 Delvac 75W90 that I have sitting around that's meant for my other car, but I'll just use it here since I have it.

Toyota ATF WS in the tranny.

I'm not really much of a fluid snob. Good fluids serviced regularly will do the trick on this vehicle. But octane I won't compromise on.
You never cease to amaze me.

You won’t compromise on a different percentage level of additives that tries to mimic ocatane, in a component with sensors, computers, and cooling systems galor, that can effectively adjust for changes of fuel type.

But... the component that has syncros and brass bushings, but can’t adjust a thing, and cools itself with some heat sink fins. You’ll throw a super slippery GL-5 75w-90 gear lube that is over 3x as thick than what Toyota requires. So you’re cool with putting 5w-40 oil in your engine also? (For bystandards, @TeCKis300 I do this all the time, we’re like brothers)

I’m not saying any off this matters, but I’m surprised you don’t think it matters.

You must be an evil genius.

You never cease to amaze me.

You won’t compromise on a different percentage level of additives that tries to mimic ocatane, in a component with sensors, computers, and cooling systems galor, that can effectively adjust for changes of fuel type.

But... the component that has syncros and brass bushings, but can’t adjust a thing, and cools itself with some heat sink fins. You’ll throw a super slippery GL-5 75w-90 gear lube that is over 3x as thick than what Toyota requires. So you’re cool with putting 5w-40 oil in your engine also? (For bystandards, @TeCKis300 I do this all the time, we’re like brothers)

I’m not saying any off this matters, but I’m surprised you don’t think it matters.

You must be an evil genius.

Hah, we all choose our battles right?

I'm partially cheating here because I have an '09 LX570. It's simple in its requirements. 75W-85 GL-5 all around. If I had a later vehicle, I might try to source that voodoo 75W oil for the transfer case.

I just exchanged all 3 fluids last night. Didn't even have to lift the vehicle, other than putting AHC in H. Not too bad of a job. Will do some more swimming under her next week when the tranny fluid comes in. BTW, the stock armor around the transfer case is a piece of work! And that 3 lb UFO that hangs off of it.

Speaking of hacks. You'd be aghast to hear that I put Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) oil in my... Porsche.

Great thread.

Agree, i’m now using shell 93 octane here in Florida because from my research land cruisers in the middle east in reality use premium fuel they just measure it differently meaning measure the octane level differently. I think in reality Land Cruisers need premium fuel but Toyota retards the timing so they can get away with burning a regular fuel because it’s a Toyota and long term probably not that good for the engine especially for those That tow or do a lot of off-road Ing. But I doubt if we’ll ever know the truth.

This is as good a place as any to post this tip.. I've struggled with a clean/effective way to get axle/xfer fluids into my rigs for years. I've bought a couple different kinds of pumps that always end up reacting to the chemistry and cracking, or losing a bunch of internal volume.. have slipped vinyl tubing over the spout on the end of the gear oil bottles.. very difficult to get all of it out not to mention it having to be pointed downward and a bunch of fluid being stuck inthe hose after filling.

Recently I bought some 150mL syringes on amazon for cheap, put 4 inches of 1/4" (roughly) silicon hose on the end, and it is -PERFECT- for loading a precise volume of fluids into those fill ports. Takes a little longer than blasting it straight from the bottle but I know exactly how much is going in, and very little is spilled/wasted.

hope this helps someone

I decided to go with the Toyota Tcase fluid since it is only $32 a liter on Amazon. I crossed 60K miles so I will do the Tcase

I did the Tranny at 50K since I tow a lot

The Diffs have Mobil 1 Synth from when I put the Lockers in at 26K. Figured those would be good until about 90K. Any reason to change these earlier?

What I can't find is a specific recommendation on Brake and Power steering fluids. Some manufacturers recommend 20K (ridiculous), some 45K Toyota just says to inspect.

Debating on doing the Brake and Power steering flush.

I noticed a recommendation to change spark plugs earlier than 60K, thought in these newer engines 100K was the right time

I decided to go with the Toyota Tcase fluid since it is only $32 a liter on Amazon. I crossed 60K miles so I will do the Tcase

I did the Tranny at 50K since I tow a lot

The Diffs have Mobil 1 Synth from when I put the Lockers in at 26K. Figured those would be good until about 90K. Any reason to change these earlier?

What I can't find is a specific recommendation on Brake and Power steering fluids. Some manufacturers recommend 20K (ridiculous), some 45K Toyota just says to inspect.

Debating on doing the Brake and Power steering flush.

I noticed a recommendation to change spark plugs earlier than 60K, thought in these newer engines 100K was the right time

Great score/find on the Transfer case fluid at 32 a liter. The lowest I found was 58 a liter. I just had mine changed last week. I also used the mobile one on front differential and rear differential.

Damn, went and checked and it wasnt the same thing. It was LT fluid not LF so I canceled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom