$80/liter transfer case oil (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use Amsoil 75-90 in both diffs and t case. And big syringe makes filling easy, I have a huge 200 mL

I use Amsoil 75-90 in both diffs and t case. And big syringe makes filling easy, I have a huge 200 mL
Lucky for you, Amsoil Severe gear 75w-90 is now available in a squeeze pouch to get into tight areas. So next time, you won’t need the syringe.

I run Severe Gear 75w-110 in the diffs because of the 4.88s and Air Lockers, so I will stick with my tried and true Amsoil pump for now. 15 years, still won’t die!

Just wanted to put this out there as a reference point. I took my 200 in for it's 60K service to Town & Country Toyota in Charlotte NC this past week. They told me that they recommended that i change all of my gear oil (transfer case, rear axle, and front diff) which i was on board with as i was planning to do anyway, maybe myself depending on price. They charged me $501 for an oil and filter change, rotate tires (all 5 as i keep spare in rotation), replace cabin filter, replace engine air filter, grease the drive shafts, and change all of the gear oil. What is interesting is they used the factory recommended 75W-85 for the front and rear diff and the transfer case as well. When i asked them about it and why didnt they use the mystical 75W, they told me that they dont use it any longer and haven't for some time. They said Toyota had approved the 75W-85 for everything. Not sure if this is accurate or not, however my truck is still under warranty, so they are on the hook for it if there is an issue for the next 3 years and ~36K miles.

Just wanted to put this out there as a reference point. I took my 200 in for it's 60K service to Town & Country Toyota in Charlotte NC this past week. They told me that they recommended that i change all of my gear oil (transfer case, rear axle, and front diff) which i was on board with as i was planning to do anyway, maybe myself depending on price. They charged me $501 for an oil and filter change, rotate tires (all 5 as i keep spare in rotation), replace cabin filter, replace engine air filter, grease the drive shafts, and change all of the gear oil. What is interesting is they used the factory recommended 75W-85 for the front and rear diff and the transfer case as well. When i asked them about it and why didnt they use the mystical 75W, they told me that they dont use it any longer and haven't for some time. They said Toyota had approved the 75W-85 for everything. Not sure if this is accurate or not, however my truck is still under warranty, so they are on the hook for it if there is an issue for the next 3 years and ~36K miles.

Call Toyota and ask them if that’s true

Toyota won’t “tell them” to without a paper trail.

Ultimately it probably won’t harm the case but I’d be curious if this is official toyota advice.

When I have mine changed first I’m going to call the dealership and make sure they order me the correct fluid for my transfer case then I’m gonna have them call me back when it comes in then I’m going to make my appointment and go in and have the work done and tell them that I already ordered the fluid and it’s in waiting under my name. I went through this with my Aston Martin dealer put 5W-30 Mobil one oil in my car for the first oil change said the factory had now changed their specs I got home called Aston Martin no change in the specs it required 20 W 50 racing oil called the dealer they apologized and I took it to the BMW dealer they used the same oil that was used in the M class BMW’s

Its tough, the dealer tried the same thing with my transfer case oil.

I started by calling to order the transfer case oil. Was told it was in stock so i brought the car in for service.

The first time they put 80-90 which is wrong - guy told me this is what it comes with from japan (lie)
The second time, after i got annoyed on the advisor, they put the branded diff gear oil (advisor said its the same - its not)
The third time, they were like, "oh, we dont stock that and will have to order." Supposedly its been rectified, but i havent opened the transfer case to check so it probably still has the generic 80-90.

The appalling part is the lying. At one point he even tried telling me the differential was connected to the transfer case so they had to be serviced together - lol.

Its tough, the dealer tried the same thing with my transfer case oil.

I started by calling to order the transfer case oil. Was told it was in stock so i brought the car in for service.

The first time they put 80-90 which is wrong - guy told me this is what it comes with from japan (lie)
The second time, after i got annoyed on the advisor, they put the branded diff gear oil (advisor said its the same - its not)
The third time, they were like, "oh, we dont stock that and will have to order." Supposedly its been rectified, but i havent opened the transfer case to check so it probably still has the generic 80-90.

The appalling part is the lying. At one point he even tried telling me the differential was connected to the transfer case so they had to be serviced together - lol.

This is why I just bring my own.

The dealers in the Chicago area are very mixed. Bredeman Toyota has been the only decent one I've found in my area. AutoNation in Libertyville was OK based on one visit but I reserve judgment on them until I ask for something difficult. Grossinger was worthless. For serious non-warranty work (gears, suspension, wheels, bumpers, etc) I'd hit up Chi-Town 4x4.

In actuality I have diff oil in my transfer case and it has performed exactly the same as the factory fluid at presumably 60k miles. Meaning no mileage difference and the CDL actuator still occasionally sticks... The fluid choice was based on the recommendation from @bjowett. I think regular changes (every 30k) are more important for me than anything else when I consider my use case. YMMV of course.

I did both axles and transfer case today. The axles got Amsoil 75-90, I have a 5 gal bucket pump, it's the best way to do this, so much easier. I buy quarts and dump it into the bucket.

I bought the Ravenol 75W that has been posted here a few times. Very clever bottle, you yank up on these little "handles" on the cap, which extends the neck of the bottle. Then the little cap unscrews, and there's a nifty hose under this cap. It's pretty easy to wiggle the bottle up above the fill hole and get enough out of them to get ~1.5 qts in.

IMG_20181228_134451.jpg

Odd, but it looks like they only sell this in cases now? You can't buy individual liter bottles anymore?

I did both axles and transfer case today. The axles got Amsoil 75-90, I have a 5 gal bucket pump, it's the best way to do this, so much easier. I buy quarts and dump it into the bucket.

I bought the Ravenol 75W that has been posted here a few times. Very clever bottle, you yank up on these little "handles" on the cap, which extends the neck of the bottle. Then the little cap unscrews, and there's a nifty hose under this cap. It's pretty easy to wiggle the bottle up above the fill hole and get enough out of them to get ~1.5 qts in.

View attachment 1864793

Odd, but it looks like they only sell this in cases now? You can't buy individual liter bottles anymore?
So is the drain and fill of the transfer case 1.5 quarts oh 75W ?

So is the drain and fill of the transfer case 1.5 quarts oh 75W ?

Don't you folks ever look in the Owner's Manual? :bang:

LC200XferCaseOil_29DEC18_zpspos5u5ym.jpg

HTH

Don't you folks ever look in the Owner's Manual? :bang:

LC200XferCaseOil_29DEC18_zpspos5u5ym.jpg

HTH
Lol. Or, it’s like every single other vehicle in the world where after you drain, you simply fill until it starts to weep from the full port. I highly doubt anyone is measuring exactly 1.53 quarts

Lol. Or, it’s like every single other vehicle in the world where after you drain, you simply fill until it starts to weep from the full port. I highly doubt anyone is measuring exactly 1.53 quarts

I agree, but knowing how to do it doesn't answer the question of how much is needed to do it. "Drain and re-fill" answers how, but "1.53 Quarts" answers how much - which was the question I was addressing. Knowing how to do it doesn't tell us how many quarts one has to buy to get the job done.

HTH

I agree, but knowing how to do it doesn't answer the question of how much is needed to do it. "Drain and re-fill" answers how, but "1.53 Quarts" answers how much - which was the question I was addressing. Knowing how to do it doesn't tell us how many quarts one has to buy to get the job done.

HTH
Very true. I usually have a case of gear oil at the house and never thought much about going out and buying a specific amount.

I'll add my two cents as I just changed the transfer case oil. The viscosity appeared to be less than the diff oil Mobil 1 75-90. I found the proper Toyota oil on Amazon for $35/qt. It is a $80k vehicle plus our mods, so I don't understand why folks start pinching pennies on the critical items and blow $$$ on overpriced mods. (Yes, I buy those too).

In no way am I pinching pennies, or suggesting that others do so for that reason. Ultimate component protection is the order of the day.

Early information about LF Fluid indicated it may use a high quality synthetic ester base. Possibly, early samples included some in the brew. Several subsequent tests show it to be a hydrocracked group III. The latter info aligns with the Toyota/SAE Paper on the development of low viscosity transmission and gear box lubricants for improved mileage.

I'll add my two cents as I just changed the transfer case oil. The viscosity appeared to be less than the diff oil Mobil 1 75-90. I found the proper Toyota oil on Amazon for $35/qt. It is a $80k vehicle plus our mods, so I don't understand why folks start pinching pennies on the critical items and blow $$$ on overpriced mods. (Yes, I buy those too).
@dryrunner...a link would be much appreciated...all I can find in the way of Toyota oil is 75W-90, and I'm using M1 for that.

Tks

I searched on Amazon for 08885-02506 Toyota oil. 32.50 per can, two can box plus shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom