80/100W bulbs in my hella glass housings? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I upgraded the passenger side. All three; hi beam H1, low beam H4, and JDM fog lights H3.

I see no noticeable difference.

View attachment 1854482 View attachment 1854483
Man i wish mine were that bright cant see $hit in my 62. I installed the relay kit from slc in my buddy's 60 when i did tge ls swap wish i would have gotten one then for my 62 i really want brighter head lights.

Remember when increasing wattage with your new bulbs you’re increasing current
100w / 12volts = 8.3 amps

Effectively nearly doubling the electrical current in the headlight circuit. You may want to upgrade the headlight wiring to accommodate this increase in current.

I've been running the IPF headlights with the 80/110's and upgraded harness. I hadn't really thought about the extra current needed. I have the stock alternator and I've had a small problem with lower than expected voltage/charging. Wonder if just going to the lower wattage bulbs would help?

Voltage x Amperage = wattage. So 12.6V x 55A = 693W. So if you are running 100W bulbs then that’s 200 watts out of your system. Ignition takes power as does the heater fan. Wipers. Brake and turn etc. but still should be plenty.

Upgrade your battery power and ground cables if not already done.

Test your voltage at the bulb when the lights are on and connected to bulb . Ideally the closer you are to battery voltage the better. Voltage drop through the supply wiring is expected but should be minimised with properly sized wire.

I just picked up the high wattage 55/100 hella bulbs. Maybe they’ll be a little easier on my alternator at idle.

I won’t replace them til I burn out my 80/100, over a year of use so far.

I love the 80/100 bulbs in my H4 housings (Hellas). I run a Wayne Tangen harness that I built years ago, and the light output is fantastic. My big complaint is that they do NOT last. I recently ordered a set of LED H4 bulbs that I'm going to experiment with and see if they do okay. It could go either way but reading reviews on them they seemed to do okay in aftermarket housings but poorly in factory US spec housings. Since I've got the Hella H4 housings I figured I'd give them a try. If I like them I'll put up a review.

These just arrived. I’m wondering how they’ll work out.

512AFB41-D4B7-4B35-BA29-ACD8B8FF5A40.jpeg

I used to run IPF Fat Boy Super Clear bulbs and they were very impressive. But like all brighter bulbs it seemed they don’t last as long. However I drive with my headlights on all the time.

For those of you that have installed the ARB M002/M004 kits - If I am running the stock high beams and only running H4's in the outside positions, do I just need the M002 harness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom