80/100W bulbs in my hella glass housings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey @slcfj62
Can I run higher wattage blulbs in my Hella glass housings and your wiring harness or am I asking for trouble with the power consumption?

Looking at Hella H4 blulbs that are 80/100W compared to the 60/55's I am currently running. The light I'm getting out of them is way better than the stock setup sealed beams but I'm looking for more light on the roads when I can't fire up my extra lights.

Remember when increasing wattage with your new bulbs you’re increasing current
100w / 12volts = 8.3 amps

Effectively nearly doubling the electrical current in the headlight circuit. You may want to upgrade the headlight wiring to accommodate this increase in current.

The wiring has been upgraded using slcfj62's kit. So the wiring should handle it. Curious what others have done with their setups (no LED's here).

I’m running the 100/ 60 watt h4 bulbs in Cibe housings , I’ve upgraded my wiring as well . And running a 120amp alternator ( alternator wiring upgraded as well) . Lights are really bright!

I've run it for over a year now in that same configuration. No issues. I'll likely throw an extra set of bulbs in my glove box since the higher wattage bulbs are rated at a lower lifetime hour count.

@augirthedude
The alternator is on my list to upgrade. Did you have it rebuilt or buy new oem?

@HemiAlex
Which configuration? The slc harness and what wattage?

I got from George to fit on my 1HZ Diesel. Terrain Tamer/ Valley Hybrids.

I upgraded my headlights using my own scheme and from scratch.

glass will be fine as long as you dont go wading through headlight deep rivers on a regular basis.....in which case I've read a few accounts of lights cracking...hot glass..cold water...makes sense.

I run SLCFJ62s harness on my 60 with Bosch housings and 75w Osram bulbs and Aux 8" HID KCs powered through the same harness.

No problems. Stock 55 amp alt -- I plan to add a couple small LED pods for side-lights, too.

I do have a problem with the 8" HIDs being too big for the 4plus bumper and I can't aim them correctly -- Have to weld a tab to move them forward, at some point :p

upload_2018-12-12_10-53-53.png

@HemiAlex
Which configuration? The slc harness and what wattage?[/QUOTE]

Hella H4 conversion Housings, 80/100 bulbs and an ARB IPF Harness. Works great.

I've run that combo before, with the stock amp. You'll be fine. Be really careful in aiming so you don't get busted for running over bright lights. I've used 75w and up low beam H4's for nearly 10 years, always aimed carefully, never anybody flashing me. So I think if you do it right its a safe solution.

Agreed on propper aiming. When I swapped in the glass housings I spent time at night in front of the garage door getting them tuned to the proper height.

Last edited:
As @HemiAlex said, you just need to carry extra bulbs as they do not last as long.
I run 55/100 in my Hellas. No problem. Plenty bright at night and the highs are awesome. Still carry extra bulbs in case.

I've always carried a single spare for the main headlights. Guess I'll be carrying a set of spares given the notes from more than one people about the longevity of the brighter ones. I assume the heat kills em quicker?

I have the IPF headlight housing and the ARB m002 loom with hella h4 80/100s. I don't think they put off much heat. But before I installed I had finally gotten rid of the relay buzzing by cleaning up my grounds. Now with the new stuff back to buzzing relays. I wonder if old relays with 80/100 bulbs is causing this. I have cleaned up my grounds again but no luck this time.

I have new relays and harness from slcFJ62 so I doubt that would be a problem for me. Never heard of buzzing relays. hmm.

I upgraded the passenger side. All three; hi beam H1, low beam H4, and JDM fog lights H3.

I see no noticeable difference.

D4890BFC-9CBA-4EB2-8E8B-646B4B8E408B.jpeg
284DB1E0-F687-4B5B-BA40-0F85A9276A8E.jpeg

Buzzing relays indicate high resistance or low voltage to relay coil on either side of the coil. Or a faulty relay coil. when relays are buzzing check the voltage on the + side of the relay coil. It should be close to 12volts. If it’s buzzing I’m sure the voltage is low.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom