Builds 79 Rusty redemption build *PICS* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EVAP System:
In the process of going through all of the fuel system the EVAP harware looked unsurprisingly similar...:cry:
Ideally the entire system could be removed and the lines on the tank capped. does this effect the functionality/safety of the system? I know it could effect smog but thats an issue foe later. There is a ton of rot and rust caner in the area and would like to cut and patch the entire section and seal it off from the fender well.

IMG_20200508_162503.jpg
IMG_20200508_162509.jpg

Is anyine familar with what the long U bend is which is mounted under the bed goes to? I tracked it down and it seems to run along the tub between the rocker and frame and then goes up either into the cab or into the carcoal canister.
IMG_20200508_162701.jpg
IMG_20200508_162559.jpg

Fuel System rebuild.
Earlier on I rebuilt the 2f carb which so far has seemed to be fine except for the rubber boot on the accelerator pump plunger is already falling apart.:mad:

Based on what the tank looked like I decided to go through all of the components in the fuel system and clean/repair/replace as needed.
Short list of tasks:
Boil/coat fuel tank
New soft lines
New hard lines where needed
repair filler neck/ gas cap
new sending unit/wiring.

A majority of my time was spent remaking the fuel pickup assembly. The one that came out of the tank was completely trashed. I did some brief searching and didnt look like it was a part easy to find. I reverse engineered the flange, which had a weird bolt hole circle because none of the hole were equally spaced. I am guessing toyota did this so that it could only be put on in one orientation. I got the flange laser cut out of .093" 304SS which was close enough to the original without being a pain to tig weld. I also bought .035", 3/8" SS fuel hard line for remaking my chassis lines. I used a section of this for the pickup. I bent the individual pieces to match the original as best I could and used a bead rolling tool so my hoses dont fall off.

IMG_20200603_190252.jpg
IMG_20200603_195032.jpg

people say the SS is a pain to bend, but if you mount a hand bender in a vise and lube it all up with WD40 it isnt too bad..

IMG_20200603_220741.jpg

Before and after just tack welded, I need to remake the tube beading tool because Im not too happy with the size, they are on the small side. the tool was supposed to be used to soft Al and copper but I figured I would try it on the SS. oh well.

IMG_20200609_163133.jpg

Trying to keep it from turning into a potato chip while I was welding it. It ended up being decently flat. Just had to go slow and have patience. I think in general its easier to control heat with the tig vs mig

IMG_20200609_191607.jpg

fully welded and mounted back onto the tank. I still need to verify that the new line dont interfere with the under side of the body.

Now I am just waiting on some parts to be plated and then the final assembly can continue!:popcorn:

Nice work! What bead rolling tool do you use? I'm going to replace my fuel lines with nicop and will need to get one of these tools.

Thanks, I used an earls EZ beader. They say its not recommended for stainless and I see why. I ended up having to remake part of it out of hardened tool steel so that it would hold up to the forces needed to expand the stainless.
InkedIMG_20200713_195722_LI.jpg

The new part made a slightly bigger bead which made me feel better, the first try didn't give me super high confidence that the hoses wouldn't slip off.
I think it would work fine for softer materials like nicopp.

By the time I decided to redo the beads on the fuel tank I had gotten all of my parts needed to get the fuel system back together. I got the original filler neck zink plated along with a handful of other hardware. After plating I gave the exposed areas a few coats of bedliner to help prevent future corrosion.

IMG_20200710_112947.jpg

IMG_20200712_105547.jpg
IMG_20200712_105557.jpg

I also replaced all of the felt on the tank and the tank skid, which also got completely media blasted and bedlined.
IMG_20200627_125803.jpg

All the parts tucked up under the truck, gives me motivation to keep making the rest of the truck look as nice.
IMG_20200714_184656.jpg

IMG_20200716_192900.jpg
IMG_20200716_192905.jpg
IMG_20200716_192908.jpg

More of the tank, I decided to keep the evap hooked up but looped 2 of the 3 lines. the last single line still plugs into the the evaporator inside the wheel well but now it just vents through a filter to atmosphere instead of going to the charcoal canister.

I finished bending the new fuel lines which go down the chassis to the fuel pump. I left the ends long and will cut them down for the final fit. I just need to roll beads on the ends and hook everything up. At the point the entire fuel system has been replaced or refurbished except the fuel pump, its satisfying to see it all coming to together. Onto the next project.
IMG_20200716_203453.jpg

Thanks for the feedback🍻
Forward and backward progress. The fuel system is now 100% complete and installed. I put 2-3 gal of gas in just to verify all the connectors were tight and the carb was getting fuel. Only needed to tighten 1 clamp otherwise leak free. The fuel gauge didnt move with 2 gal of gas, I double checked it was wired correctly before I put it in the tank. I hoping that there just wasnt enough gas in the tank to make a difference.

Backwards progress is that I am now not getting any spark. Seems like the same situation that happened a few months back. I pulled the coil and ignitor and checked with a multimeter, everything had continuity and the resistances looked fine.

I didnt check to see if the coil was getting power and if the ignitor was getting signal from the distributor. I dont know how it was fixed last time? I replaced the whole assembly with an fj60 unit and it fired right up???

By the time I decided to redo the beads on the fuel tank I had gotten all of my parts needed to get the fuel system back together. I got the original filler neck zink plated along with a handful of other hardware. After plating I gave the exposed areas a few coats of bedliner to help prevent future corrosion.

View attachment 2372892

View attachment 2372889View attachment 2372890

I also replaced all of the felt on the tank and the tank skid, which also got completely media blasted and bedlined.
View attachment 2372888

All the parts tucked up under the truck, gives me motivation to keep making the rest of the truck look as nice.
View attachment 2372891
The 40 finally got a change in scenery. I got everything buttoned up enough to drive it around the block a few times and have an inaugural fuel stop. :cool: Its satisfying to see the fuel gauge go from E to F after all the work done going through and rebuilding the entire fuel system.

View attachment 2430196
Awesome build, subscribed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom