Builds '78 Refreshtoration, what next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great to see you're driving it again - and thank you for providing the photos! So cool.

I can't wait to get mine back on the road.
Think you’ll be driving it in 2023? How’s it coming?

Drove it in what may be the smallest 4th of July parade in the country. Cool little neighborhood thing around the block. That’s a ‘48 Willys in front of me. And spent the 2nd on Hog Island, a tiny island that feels like a step back in time. No cars, just golf carts. The boys took the cart for a quick ride and it came back covered in mud. Hmm…

IMG_2899.jpeg

IMG_2884.jpeg

Haven’t done much at all to Goldbug. Fixed the horn, ordered some parts to help with steering. Getting ready for the Fall Gathering. It’s been running great. Did some baby step off roading with 5 year old to see if he liked it. He did, so he’ll come to FG. And did some fishing. Scenery isn’t as good as @rkymtnflyfisher but my fish might just be bigger🤣

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_2186.jpeg

AWESOME photos, @Goldbug - man, we need to meet up. I have seriously got to finish this cruiser. Ugh!
YES! Would love to. I don't get down to LI as much as I used to, but would love to see your masterpiece.

Did my annual fall trip to the Yankee Toys event known as Fall Gathering up in New Hampshire. Was a little wet, but had a great time. I brought the 5 year old for the first time. His older brother has been the last 3 years and I was nervous if he'd be able to hang, and he definitely did! Good time was had by all.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Starting the winter projects. The interior lights weren't working very often, and this time of year I'm actually using my lights. I removed all the fuses, used fine grit sandpaper on the fuse box, reinstalled and hit every electrical connection I could find with CorrosionX. @Aloha Jen recommended it and after doing some research, I pulled the trigger. It's not cheap, but seems to work very well.

I now have consistent illumination!

IMG_3994.jpeg

IMG_3999.jpeg

Starting the winter projects. The interior lights weren't working very often, and this time of year I'm actually using my lights. I removed all the fuses, used fine grit sandpaper on the fuse box, reinstalled and hit every electrical connection I could find with CorrosionX. @Aloha Jen recommended it and after doing some research, I pulled the trigger. It's not cheap, but seems to work very well.

I now have consistent illumination!

View attachment 3483123

View attachment 3483124
IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_1002.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

CorrosionX seems to be a very good product. I live across the street from the ocean and a right in front of a boat harbor. A lot of the boat guys there swear by this stuff on their electrical connections that need to work in a marine environment. I used it on every single electrical connection on my 40. It seems to also work its way up into the wire under the vinyl sheath to get at the hidden corrosion. Well worth the expensive price tag in my opinion! Your 40 is s looking great!!

Last edited:
View attachment 3484309
View attachment 3484311
View attachment 3484312
CorrosionX seems to be a very good product. I live across the street from the ocean and a right in front of a boat harbor. A lot of the boat guys there swear by this stuff on their electrical connections that need to work in a marine environment. I used it on every single electrical connection on my 40. It seems to also work its way up into the wire under the vinyl sheath to get at the hidden corrosion. Well worth the expensive price tag in my opinion! Your 40 is s looking great!!
Thanks, I'm across from Narragansett Bay on the other side of the globe, but similar concerns on rust from the salt water. Do you use the QD Electronic Cleaner first, or can you just spray on the CorossionX?

Thanks, I'm across from Narragansett Bay on the other side of the globe, but similar concerns on rust from the salt water. Do you use the QD Electronic Cleaner first, or can you just spray on the CorossionX?
I use the electrical cleaner first to try and remove any dust or dirt. Then you have a clean surface for the CorrosionX to coat and protect the metal terminals and exposed wire ends. I would say it’s definitely better to use some kind of electrical connector cleaner first.

I decided that black Frida was a good day to spend in the garage and enlisted @vfrer and @cruiserguy80 to help do a knuckle job. Two weeks later, all finished. Was about as messy as everyone says, but the attention to detail including torque specs was somewhat new. Came out well though.

IMG_4172.jpeg

IMG_4173.jpeg

IMG_4174.jpeg

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4285.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

Fuel Lines

I went to put the air cleaner on last night and realized I needed to re-bend the new hard fuel line. Long story short, I ended up bending three and learning a few things along the way.

Using a vice to hold the bender made it much easier. Perhaps due in part to the fact I sustained a "game-keepers thumb" injury skiing and am down to 9 digits. I had ordered this tubing which is pretty hard to bend. Might have done a different metal if I did it over again. Used a regular plumbing tube cutter to slice it and then sanded the ends a bit to make sure no metal bits get in the fuel system. Used Toyota olives and nut unions for the ends. They don't require a ton of pressure to cinch down (learned the hard way). Using a sharpie to mark where to bend helped. Came out ok in the end and used the original fuel line I bent to become the return. Right now the return doesn't go anywhere, I'll see if I can figure out where it's supposed to go. Previously it was just capped and seemed to work fine.

View attachment 3295919

View attachment 3295920

View attachment 3295921
Hi @Goldbug! Where does this new line connect? I have that same line capped off like yours was

Hi @Goldbug! Where does this new line connect? I have that same line capped off like yours was
I'll take a look when I get home tonight. Fuel line goes from fuel pump to carb, but I'm assuming you're talking about the other line that goes from the carb. I think mine may actually go to an orphan fuel filter, which always seemed odd to me and certainly wouldn't be OEM, but I'll confirm tonight.

Hey @greenEFSI sorry it took me a bit to get these. My excuse it’s it’s freezing out so not as much incentive to go out to the garage. But I re-ran this pipe when I did all the engine work last winter. It goes by the fuel pump then connects to the hard line on the frame rail below the fuel filter. Here are some pics, though it’s hard to see.

IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

Hey @greenEFSI sorry it took me a bit to get these. My excuse it’s it’s freezing out so not as much incentive to go out to the garage. But I re-ran this pipe when I did all the engine work last winter. It goes by the fuel pump then connects to the hard line on the frame rail below the fuel filter. Here are some pics, though it’s hard to see.

View attachment 3536063

View attachment 3536064
Thank you! I'll save these and get some hardline to bend up 👍

Now that the roads are thoroughly coated in salt, Goldbug will be inside until probably end of March, so I dug in on my next projects:
  1. Get Carb Cooling Fan Working
  2. Get Oil Pressure to Read
  3. Reduce Play in Steering (including rebuilding the FJ60 Steering box)
  4. Get Windshield Washer Working (even though I almost never drive it in the rain)
  5. Get Seatbelts Re-Webbed
So far I've done a great job taking things apart, and did get the belts back from Safety Restore. They look excellent. Thanks to @pb4ugo on real time support while I disassembled the steering column and got nervous.

IMG_4644.jpeg

IMG_4659.jpeg

IMG_4673.jpeg

IMG_4671.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom