Builds 76 Project Silver Back (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed this awesome Dakota Digital GPS speedometer box.
Still waiting for the rain to stop so I can try it out.

E51CCC71-B292-4798-8F5B-D055E4153A77.jpeg

7544AB5E-42F1-4664-B0A2-F4B065E83517.jpeg

sad to see you sell after all that work!! really beautifully done. i understand your reasons though. good on you! look forward to the next one when ever that might happen

That is a steal for 3o K....If I would not have one 40 already I would jump on it fast!!Great work SMG!! They just quoted me to put the cummins 2,8 diesel in my already restored 40 around 30 000,-!!! so here you got it...

Last edited:
I have wanting to do this for about a year, but life circumstances sometimes get in the way. I has been about a year since i bought this from Steve. I am the new proud owner of this vehicle. First i would like to thank Steve for such a great transaction. He is a great guy and honest as the day is long. Not to mention his craftsmanship is top notch. .. I have nothing but appreciation for his work. From the moment i showed up to see this rig in his garage, i was hooked. I was trying to be conservative .....I was not going to buy it unless it blew me away ......obviously it did. The attention to detail , and his artist eye was just what i wanted. The detail in the wiring layout, the perfect steering setup are examples that are even more impressive in person. I am not a purist, i wanted an FJ40 that keep the original beautiful look but capable off and on the road. A 40 that i could take anywhere with confidence and take cross country going 70mph if i wanted to. I am not a rock crawler, this 40 is way to nice for that . I also am not new to FJ40's , I have paid my dues building in a garage on a shoe string budget etc. I remember this site when you could get a tub from California for 500 bucks ...rust free...... and have it shipped across country for $300.... Hell i was just a kid from Akron Ohio, i shouldn't even be able to own a FJ40. (LB ref)....but ...I am older now and in a different position in life. And Life is to short to live with out a FJ40.! and more importantly Life is also to short not to thank good people ! So thank you Steve and the others who have contributed to this build over the years.....It has and will bring much joy to my family ....... Also Steve you have the first and last right of refusal to buy this back some day ....as all are witnesses here on IH8MUD. OR your son after he graduates from college and gets a job.......HEHEHE........However i most likely will not be selling this one anytime soon.:)

However this needs to continue.....This rig great as is.... but... it was not 100 finished. I think the story should not end here, this epic journey should not just fade out . So in the interest of keeping it alive for those who might be interested, i will be starting a new Thread . I will share the rest of the build and any debugging issues / solutions with this rig along the way. In hopes that others will benefit. I do not want to "highjack " this thread, so i will be starting a new one called "Silver Back Lives on" as to have a ref link / searchable ref to the original build but have it unique to me.

I have wanting to do this for about a year, but life circumstances sometimes get in the way. I has been about a year since i bought this from Steve. I am the new proud owner of this vehicle. First i would like to thank Steve for such a great transaction. He is a great guy and honest as the day is long. Not to mention his craftsmanship is top notch. .. I have nothing but appreciation for his work. From the moment i showed up to see this rig in his garage, i was hooked. I was trying to be conservative .....I was not going to buy it unless it blew me away ......obviously it did. The attention to detail , and his artist eye was just what i wanted. The detail in the wiring layout, the perfect steering setup are examples that are even more impressive in person. I am not a purist, i wanted an FJ40 that keep the original beautiful look but capable off and on the road. A 40 that i could take anywhere with confidence and take cross country going 70mph if i wanted to. I am not a rock crawler, this 40 is way to nice for that . I also am not new to FJ40's , I have paid my dues building in a garage on a shoe string budget etc. I remember this site when you could get a tub from California for 500 bucks ...rust free...... and have it shipped across country for $300.... Hell i was just a kid from Akron Ohio, i shouldn't even be able to own a FJ40. (LB ref)....but ...I am older now and in a different position in life. And Life is to short to live with out a FJ40.! and more importantly Life is also to short not to thank good people ! So thank you Steve and the others who have contributed to this build over the years.....It has and will bring much joy to my family ....... Also Steve you have the first and last right of refusal to buy this back some day ....as all are witnesses here on IH8MUD. OR your son after he graduates from college and gets a job.......HEHEHE........However i most likely will not be selling this one anytime soon.:)

However this needs to continue.....This rig great as is.... but... it was not 100 finished. I think the story should not end here, this epic journey should not just fade out . So in the interest of keeping it alive for those who might be interested, i will be starting a new Thread . I will share the rest of the build and any debugging issues / solutions with this rig along the way. In hopes that others will benefit. I do not want to "highjack " this thread, so i will be starting a new one called "Silver Back Lives on" as to have a ref link / searchable ref to the original build but have it unique to me.
Can’t wait to see this in person.

I'm glad you're continuing and starting a build thread on this, Silver back is one of my favorite FJ40 builds on this forum, it's the way I'd like to build my own 40 someday. I look forward to seeing your progression towards completion!

Trying to finish up this rear bumper. I wasn’t real thrilled with the look of all the different types of hold down latches until I stumbled across this bad boy. This is an all stainless latch that I was able to get for a good song.
It has that nice brute look and is super strong and beefy.
View attachment 1655350
View attachment 1655353
View attachment 1655355
View attachment 1655356
Hoping to get the rest of it done this weekend. I would like to get this off to powder coating next week.:steer: Fingers Crossed.

So I know this is a little anal, but I don’t like seeing rust streaks coming from my hinges.
I decide to take apart my bib hinge and replace the pin with a stainless one.

Once I had the hinge apart, I was able to clean up the bores then powder coat each piece separately. This should help with rust forming inside the joint.

Keep in mind, my bib hinge was nasty and I didn’t like the idea of spraying paint on a part that pivots.

The pin was turned on my Lathe and is the exact same width as the hinge body so no matter how much you tighten the bolts, it can’t pinch the hinge tight.

I know, I’m a crazy machinist by heart. :D

View attachment 1894036
View attachment 1894037
View attachment 1894038
Make me one....please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom