'76 fj40 windshield frame wont fold down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What am I missing? Have the top off. Backed out the 2 dash knob/screws. And the frame wont budge. Could it just be rust at the frame bottom seal? Rusted hinges?? Am I just being too gentle??? Tryed WD on the hinge pins, gave up. Put the top back on for winter. Now its summer, going top less and I have a urge to drive fast and eat bugs.

Keep trying with a good penetrating fluid, which WD40 is not.
Don't be too hard on it as you may crack the glass if you twist the frame.

You could take the hinges off and see if they move freely. I had an FJ40 the PO had used silicon caulking on the windshield frame to cowl it was stuck hard. If you take the hinges off it can help you find the source of the problem. Also may help you to soak the pins if the hinges are off.

Continually squirt the hinge pins in all the gaps, with pb blaster or something similar. Eventually they may free up. It will probably take a while, maybe months. Periodically, try to work the w/s frame back in forth even if it doesn't move much, but don't force it, you may likely bend the hinges if you do. You can also tap the end of the pin and try to move it. If your in a hurry you can try to remove the hinges, but you will probably have a similar problem with the screws. Blast them too, and get a impact screw driver. May be apply some heat. I lubricated my hinge screws and hinge pins for probably a yr or more before I attempted removing the screws. The screws were still a pain to remove with the inpact driver. My top is still on, so I've not tried the hinges yet. I replace the screws with stainless steel ones.

Same thing happened to me when I first bought my 76. It ended up just being the hinges binding up due to not being folded down for years. Generous amounts of kroil eventually freed the frozen hinges. Get a friend to help, grab each side of the windshield frame just above the hinge and gently rock the windshield back and forth. Leverage is key, get a little more aggressive if needed, the frame is stronger than you think. After several tries mine loudly popped loose and has never given me any problems since. Good luck!

Great ideas, thanks for the help.
Going to spray pins and screws/bolts. And wait. Tap on them now and then, spray some more, tap and wiggle. Rinse and Repeat. I'll just have to put off the wind in my hair, bugs in my teeth fun for another time.

Savage - any luck with freeing those windshield hinges? I've got a set that are stuck as well. Stripping my 72' down for paint and can't get them freed. I've been trying off and on for weeks. Lot's of PB Blaster mostly. Tried putting them in my vise but no luck. Just sent them (along with other small parts) to a soda blaster in hopes that getting all the paint off would help. Still stuck. They look awesome and I'd hate to give up on them but s.t.u.c.k. Anyone able to help?
tempImageLwqpbu.jpg

@JustJay try boiling them, maybe a torch?

Good thought. I actually got it a few months ago. Had to get some parts sodablasted so threw these in with others. That process worked them loose. Good to go. Now just have to get them re-installed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom