76 FJ40 dies when it stops (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The lever you mentioned is supposed to direct the air intake from the exhaust manifold area until the intake air hits a certain temperature - think it's about 80F, and then it will pull air from the forward portion of the air intake. So no problem there.

I would recommend taking the air horn off the top of the carb and checking to see if there are floaties in your fuel bowl. You can remove the two plugs on the front of the carb and drain the fuel out of the bowl. Floaties can get lodged in the jets and stall the engine at idle (or at any other speed, but mine was stalling coming up to a stop and it was because of floaties). Make sure your fuel is clean.

Also, make sure the wire on your carb is connected to a switched 12V power source. I do not see it in your picture; there is a solenoid valve on the rear of your carb, on the corner closest to the block that should have a wire sticking out of it. Needs switched 12V power.

I had this same problem for literally months. Tried a bazillion things and got information from many great dudes on the forum. I will attach my extra long post of me trying several differnt things. It ended up that I had a cracked intake manifold that had cracked from the stock exhaust. With research, it appears that this happened quite a bit .....this is a long read, but may save you some time in the long run.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/445942-engine-woes.html

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom