Builds 75 Series Truck - VZ shade tree special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kelly, I believe Joe had a set of axles for sale recently, might be easier to just start with a different set that match.. IE, not the weird stuff.. Why waste good money on something that is a 1 off..

That was us. :rolleyes:

To clarify, we stock over 6500 part numbers, a large number of which fit the 7x Series, everything from steering parts to dash parts. We specialize in servicing our in-stock parts with same day shipping, that represents 98% of our orders. We do add to our inventory daily, much of which is based on customer inquiries or parts needs from our wholesale partners, i.e. if we see general demand for an item, rather than buy one we will buy 10 and keep them on the shelf. If it's not a part we will sell more than once every a year-two or we've never had previous inquiries on it... we can't dedicate much shelf space to it, it simply costs $$ to service parts on the shelf or special order. Now, as many of our regular customers will attest, we can and do often bring in onsey-twosy small trim parts, etc for them as part of regular orders but for us to setup parts in the computer, order them with our regular freight from Japan, receive them and ship... it just isn't a workable model for customers ONLY using us for that portion of their business... i.e. you've spent $12.50 with us ever, certainly you've got a source for your regular Cruiser maintenance and upgrade parts that you have been "resorting" to? IMO hey should be your go-to for special order parts as it's frankly a service not a business opportunity :D

I'd love for a business to prove me wrong, we would love to have a place to send customers for $10-100 international special order parts as we did with Beno for years.

I wasn't calling any business in the open Kurt and wasn't intending to (sorry to offend you). I posted my message out of frustration of trying to get parts and support the local businesses here on mud such as yourself.

I have spent way more than $12.50 with other local vendors and would do the same for cruiser outfitters. It is my fault for not understanding your business model and getting frustrated as I am now. For a long time I thought you just did mostly chassis parts ranging from wheels, lift kits, knuckles, and bumpers but as I see you are selling other items I thought I would ask and felt shut out real quickly.

I do understand why you don't sell the "special" parts though. Too many people out there would rather support partsouq, amayama, etc which is what I was trying to avoid using in the first place.

@2fpower I apologize for hijacking your thread with my earlier post.

No worries @FJ73Texas or @cruiseroutfit . I get it and support Kurt and other vendors here -- but understand it is a business for them.

Kelly, I believe Joe had a set of axles for sale recently, might be easier to just start with a different set that match.. IE, not the weird stuff.. Why waste good money on something that is a 1 off..
I think you are talking rear axle since this one has the VZ standard Dana axle. No, this is the front axle that was Toyota spec. I am going to see how the diff cleans up before making any big purchase. Honestly, I would put a set of locked 80 axles in it before purchasing anything else!

For looking as good as it did in the pictures it is very rough everywhere else. Nice job getting it heading the right way.

No worries @FJ73Texas or @cruiseroutfit . I get it and support Kurt and other vendors here -- but understand it is a business for them.

I think you are talking rear axle since this one has the VZ standard Dana axle. No, this is the front axle that was Toyota spec. I am going to see how the diff cleans up before making any big purchase. Honestly, I would put a set of locked 80 axles in it before purchasing anything else!

Sold my last complete HZJ73 front axle to Trey last week but if you have a 8"HP front axle I probably still have a good used front axle housing around , no 9 1/2's

Need to figure out what pinion seal I need for the rear axle. Here is information to help me identify what DANA rear it has.

Plan is to tear rear axle down soon... next up for tonight is to put in the freeze plug and try to pressurize the cooling system.

Here is the winshield wiper arm mounting.

If that really is wear, it’s the most consistent wear imaginable.... if so, I agree JB Weld, then paint. Did that on Foo years ago to fill in all the rust and it held up very well.

Sitting and rust will cause it also. I have seen it on many an old Nissan Patrol that sat for decades.

Cheers

Btw, I have a ton of used 70 parts. If you are looking for anything on the budget let me know. Got 12v wiper motor, linkage and arms if I didn’t toss the arms. Lots more too, I also have done the heater install.

If it is a HP 8” I have everything with about 500 miles on it from the knuckle out, including new knuckles and ALL oem hardware. ;)

Cheers

Need to figure out what pinion seal I need for the rear axle. Here is information to help me identify what DANA rear it has.

Plan is to tear rear axle down soon... next up for tonight is to put in the freeze plug and try to pressurize the cooling system.

Hello,

The rear axle is a Dana 60 with 4.11:1 gears.

Brake shoes and shafts are interchangeable with Toyota parts. Not sure about the backing plate, though.

Front and rear drive shafts are Dana as well. Again, they are interchangeable with Toyota parts.

Juan

Great info.... really appreciate all the comments and offers for help!!!!!

Continuing the tear down, my goal today was to check out the rear axle and check out the water in the engine. Appears this is a Dana 60 As @JuanJ stated above. And to my delight, it was full of oil!!!! I expected something up on the ring gear to be stamped 4.11, however I did not see you that.

0106CC68-7DC7-4439-B2EB-290530D2C230.jpeg

82932BEB-7329-41C3-9F30-129EBC353F37.jpeg

12CA8D06-A8E6-4876-BEB7-3EF30D5C8D08.jpeg

E26222B9-9FA9-4EE9-AD2A-FF3930FA01D1.jpeg

E30BB0F5-3038-4C08-8DEE-FA2BB7A0633F.jpeg

I have rebuilt over a half dozen 80 series E brakes and there’s always so much corrosion that the parts are totally fouled up. On this one the mechanism at the drum works perfectly however all the internal guts are missing.
3BEC54F9-A247-4F07-B08B-CEB3F3BC87BA.jpeg

And the drums are both broken and terribly worn. This leaves me wondering if there is a dicks disc brake conversion option. Wondering if the El Camino disc brakes with the E brake, would work
BFFA9D2D-D406-42B8-B146-CCF54A8A56F9.jpeg

Not a huge fan of spacers, however definitely not with five of the six lug nuts
44D533E7-F436-45F1-B00E-8211C93361AF.jpeg
3BEC54F9-A247-4F07-B08B-CEB3F3BC87BA.jpeg

F9897620-6E7E-499E-B2C8-0599D794604A.jpeg

Next up was to see if I could pressurize the coolant system. Here is where I put put the first new part back onto this car. Installed a new freeze plug in the driver side of the block. Then I tried to pressurize the entire system from the radiator cap, however it would take nothing. So I poured about 50 ounces of water in the system and watched 45 ounces come out of the bottom of the radiator. We can call that failure number one.
F9C0298E-B45E-47EE-93D3-DA0D350142E3.jpeg
24859686-84EC-4949-8999-6DDE95C70F40.jpeg

Appeared to be coming from the entire bottom of the radiator
FD6814C7-4AE4-4499-A76D-9D0E79E057DA.jpeg

After pulling the radiator, found some strange abuse
D3CE6124-8E4C-4EFA-940D-3CDA38762774.jpeg

Looks like the build date on the rear R&P is 07/06/2007, so, the R&P got shelled at some point in it's life....... No surprise here based on the other damage and "maintenance" on the truck!

After I pulled out the radiator and the radiator input/output hoses, a corked the lower port and tried to pressurize at the upper half to know avail. So I stuck a hose and funnel ( beer bong style) in the upper output side and filled with water. Found the problem, appears the oil cooler has totally been shattered!!!!! So, the next step will be to pull the exhaust manifold and swap out the oil cooler.
1248D928-BA54-4A09-A10F-EFA6C823A167.jpeg
51A70324-C711-4E76-9284-839F3C751CBC.jpeg

Hello,

Usually there is a small metal plate with 4.11 stamped on it attached to one of the bolts on the left. I guess it broke off a while ago.

The 37 x 9 stamped on the ring gear confirms it is a 4.11:1.

As for the e-brake and brake drums, you can use Toyota parts. They fit.

No disc conversion is necessary.

Juan

To give full credit to the Shadetree mechanics, I really like the ingenious use of this overflow tank. Just drilled a hole in this poly tank with a tube going to the bottom. Also like the PHH Fix.
EAF4328D-CB00-454A-BF5C-58A6EC481795.jpeg
F0C19832-EA7B-4E26-8217-C719324C9BFA.jpeg
2A60A130-6BC9-450B-B71B-A588538B9AA3.jpeg

Hello,

Usually there is a small metal plate with 4.11 stamped on it attached to one of the bolts on the left. I guess it broke off a while ago.

The 37 x 9 stamped on the ring gear confirms it is a 4.11:1.

As for the e-brake and brake drums, you can use Toyota parts. They fit.

No disc conversion is necessary.

Juan
That is awesome, thanks for your help!! Yes, any original tag is long gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom