75' FJ40 Parked for 20+ years. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After I did an engine swap on mine, well, I don't trust the original front motor mounts. Rear might be shaky but, the front, no.

On the middle of the carb is an EGR inlet tube. A 10mm (Allen) 'capscrew' has a 16mm diameter head - it will fit in the tube but not go into the tube. A short section of 16mm PCV hose will cover the barb on the carb, and over the head of the capscrew.

EGR Plug.JPG

EGR Plug2.JPG

After I did an engine swap on mine, well, I don't trust the original front motor mounts. Rear might be shaky but, the front, no.

On the middle of the carb is an EGR inlet tube. A 10mm (Allen) 'capscrew' has a 16mm diameter head - it will fit in the tube but not go into the tube. A short section of 16mm PCV hose will cover the barb on the carb, and over the head of the capscrew.

Thanks Dizzy. I went to the parts store to get some hose and I found an assortment of Dorman "bypass plugs", one of them fit the EGR inlet tube perfectly. Another cap in the kit fit the air cleaner nice and tightly.

Got a ton done this weekend. But first the good news... SHE RUNS!!!!!!! and with oil pressure!

The Bad news, the manifold gasket I had is leaking on the #1 exhaust port. It almost looks like the ports on the gasket were too large? I have a hodge podge of gaskets here but I would assume that if I had F and 2F stuff that the manifold gasket would be the same? I will order a remflex and give that a try unless anyone else has a better idea. I may take the manifolds and get them surfaced, as the exhaust mani, although flat, has some pitting. Both surfaces were spotless, I used OEM hardware, and torqued to spec using the specified tightening sequence.

More good news, I ordered some tires. You guys say the 31x10.50r15 fit so that's what I ordered. 😨 Pay Pal sent my wife an email immediately and so I got busted right away. Oh well...

List of things done yesterday.
  • Engine started a few times briefly.
  • Rear brakes torn down and replaced.
  • Finished the plumbing of the new brake lines and hoses. Everything is new minus the pressure switches on the master.
  • Cleaned up the fuel tank and got it ready for install.
  • Tested the fuel sending unit, guess I need a new one.
  • pulled front hubs for rebuild.
  • Checked axles, trans, and transfer case for lubricant.
Left to do
  • bleed brakes and adjust wheel cylinders
  • install new tires
  • alternator
  • belt
  • radiator and hoses
  • install fuel tank and passenger seat
  • adjust ignition timing and carb
  • ADVENTURE

20201004_142229.jpg

20201004_150312.jpg

20201004_150319.jpg

Last edited:
On the carb is the throttle position sensor. On the head is the temp sender for emissions. On the block is the oil pressure sensor.

It sounds like some valve clicking going on?

On the carb is the throttle position sensor. On the head is the temp sender for emissions. On the block is the oil pressure sensor.

It sounds like some valve clicking going on?
I think you're hearing the exhaust leak/s at manifold.

Being desmogged, it is going to be hard to run a canister without something in place of the Vacuum Switching Valve. Do you have the barb that connects to the PCV valve inlet on the manifold?

One of those three hoses from the 'gas filter' (as Toyota calls it) is to the choke breaker. The barb at the base of the carb goes to the vacuum advancer on the distributor, or Vacuum Switching Valve in a stock config.

Being desmogged, it is going to be hard to run a canister without something in place of the Vacuum Switching Valve. Do you have the barb that connects to the PCV valve inlet on the manifold?
I may have, I have a few that aren't installed. Are you referring to the one that has a large port and a small port in an L-shape?

If the rocker arm goes too loose when the valve closes, it jumps up on a ridge made by the oiler slot which makes it ride funny on the rocker arm shaft, then it goes back to where it started at the open valve position.

You might take a something like a dremmel tool and remove the offending ridge. Or, what I did was tighten all the valves by .003" so it didn't hit the ridge. It corrected the problem, and makes the motor have more breath as long as the valves close, but I didn't have to make a permanent change to the rocker assembly, or deal with abrasives or grinding dust around the rocker arm shaft.

Remflex gasket ordered. I've got to order the hub service kit for these warn hubs that the PO took apart and managed to lose the selector/cap on one side. I grabbed a pair of fine splines out of our cruiser junkyard and I'm hoping that the front covers will interchange. I'm in need of a few parts that I would like to get used from MUD. Please send me a PM if you have any of the following. I will buy outright or could trade something you may need.

1. windshield washer nozzle
  2. transfer case shift knob
  3. carb linkage spring (from bracket to carb)

The windshield washer nozzle is still available from Toyota. I got mine from City Racer or SOR, IIRC.
I have two '75 transfer cases, February and April. They had different threads on the shift cane.

The windshield washer nozzle is still available from Toyota. I got mine from City Racer or SOR, IIRC.
I have two '75 transfer cases, February and April. They had different threads on the shift cane.
Was trying to save some $$$ on the oem nozzle but I can wait on it if I need to. The T case should be the earlier as mine is a Jan of 75'. The knobs, also available and also $$$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom