75 and 79 Series Pickup Discussion and Importation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My truck isn't going through a build in the traditional sense (it's more of a de-Proffitt-izing / correction phase ) and I can assure you I exceeded $39K quite a while ago.

Thanks for all of the information guys. Lots of good input here.

I guess my question is, where is the line drawn between "importing parts" and "importing vehicles"? The answer could be helpful for both the 25-year rule and the Chicken Tax.

For example, can I import a rolling chassis 79 series? What about just a 79 series frame?

There is just no way that any business can offer a turnkey 79/80 for 39k , a private person with the right connections and time to wait for the right donor deals and free labor might be able to get close to that number but anyone at an hourly rate that needs to make a profit can’t even come close to that.

Bingo. This right here. I'd like to think I have a pretty good idea on cost to build these things :)

We're over 1000 hours on the #2 truck with a few more weeks of labor to go. Granted we build them a little differently but still.....it's expensive and it's tedious and the #2 truck was easier than the first one...came as a rolling chassis, I sourced a full interior, diesel, manual, etc.

I suspect my idea of "turnkey" and the type of "turnkey" one would get for $39k are probably a little different.

Last edited:
I’m in around 20K so far on my 75/80 build. Easy another 10K to go. All work so far has been done by me so all that cost is parts. I would say about 15% of what I have spent has been R&D, changing my mind or just buying wrong s***.

I can only assume they are bringing the body into the USA and then adding the frame. Exporting a USA titled truck to then reimport it with a different body is iffy and expensive.

On another subject. I would have paid money to a solid vendor for weld in body mounts. I can see that to be needed with all the bodies now being up for sale.

Interesting

Maybe I'm crazy, but $39k seems low. I guess that "starting at $39K" is pretty vague in what you actually get. I suppose this is one way to get a 79 in the US.
I'm inclined to agree. Small parts add up fast and *j79s have alot of small parts.

On the other hand, $39K will buy a brand new Middle East spec *J79 and leave some change to ship it in pieces. I have considered parting out new HZJ76s/HZJ79s if I ever found myself with the spare time for it.
New Toyota Land Cruiser Pickup for sale in Dubai, UAE - Dubicars.com

Someone asked about new frames and I remember one of the mud parts gurus saying he could sell them new for about $5K if I recall correctly.

Maybe for a shop that is bringing in the bodies....which I think they are or were....it might not be that much. Maybe a $4k internal cost for a body. Buy a $2000 80 series with a head issue. Toss out that motor and find another 1FZFE which shouldn't be that much.....$500? Transmission should be easy. Maybe they have both of them since they're doing engine conversions on 80s. Throw 200 hours of labor in at an internal cost of maybe $30/hr(?).....that might get it roughed in....body fitted to a frame. So maybe $13k for that stuff. The rest of the job becomes the hard part......wiring, interior build out, axle builds, paint/powdercoat/etc., that's where the cost is hard to pinpoint because of how it gets finished....is it OEM, is it some kind of mismatched Toyota interior made to fit....hard to say since we haven't seen one. And of course the quality of the work....big part of the equation.

There might actually be some profit in it. Even if it's $25k in dead cost. $14k profit on a build isn't all that bad, especially if it's a "base" kit that the customer can finish how he wants it.

And I think calling it a kit kind of makes things easier to sell. Let the customer figure out the registration of their kit car. People buy kit cars all the time but I would assume being a manufacturer of kits and supplying a MSO doesn't come easy or cheap. MSOs are pretty serious.

I'm inclined to agree. Small parts add up fast and *j79s have alot of small parts.

On the other hand, $39K will buy a brand new Middle East spec *J79 and leave some change to ship it in pieces. I have considered parting out new HZJ76s/HZJ79s if I ever found myself with the spare time for it.
New Toyota Land Cruiser Pickup for sale in Dubai, UAE - Dubicars.com

A lot of the Mega Cruisers in the US came in this way as a huge pile of parts and frames chopped down the center.

Then just build it and slap a BS VIN plate on it and cross your fingers.

New frames can be had in the US through normal supply channels for between $5-6k. 26 week wait period.

You can buy a brand new 79 series frame from Toyota? Do you get to spec the frame for a particular engine? 1HZ?

It can be but you will need to widen the front fender mounts, not a hard job. The front mounts all seem to sit about the same height above the frame when comparing a 75 series, 79 series narrow and 79 series wide. Early 79 series (narrow) were basically 75 series with coils suspension on the front. Different inner fender parts but outsides were the same. As the V8 was wider thus came the introduction of the 79 series wide or as most people think of the 79 series. The frame was widened in the front 3 inches to make room for the engine and the new facelift was to cover the engine. US Customs has been educating their officers, at least up in the NW, so any truck coming in now should expect to be hit with the chicken tax. Only way to avoid it would be to buy a junk 70 series here and import the newer parts to make it look new. Parts aren't subject to the chicken tax, but there are other fees involve.

I just realized, the J75 to J79 name-change marks the suspension transition (leafs to coils), not the facelift transition (narrow vs. wide). The design facelift did not occur until 2007.

Thank you for the clarification!

Yes. They are all spec’ed for 1HZ engines since that’s the supply chain that Toyota supports for the mining industry.

I assume the frames come spec'd for the H150/151 trans as well?

I just realized, the J75 to J79 name-change marks the suspension transition (leafs to coils), not the facelift transition (narrow vs. wide). The design facelift did not occur until 2007.

Thank you for the clarification!
My thoughts were the 75 ended in 98 (year of my truck) and the 79 started in 99 which was fixed windscreen, extended cab length, and extended bed. Still the narrow front. The modern front started with the V8 diesel but still stayed 79.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom