74 PA PIG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Passenger rear quarter reconstruction.
img 15.jpg
img 16.jpg

Some rust inhibitor. Hope this stuff works!
img 34.jpg

Some BobM parts.
img 14.jpg

Rust free rear quarter. Rear wheel reconstruction to follow at a later time.
img 28.jpg

Its good to see how other people do such major reconstruction. Helps me figure out if and what steps i myself might be missing during my own rebuild. Thanks for sharing

Driver's side rear. If you remember had the dimpled rear corner. Although not rusty figured it was best to take it out. Sorry for the bad angle pictures. Drivers side is tighter to the garage wall, can't step back to get quality shots.

img 46.jpg

img 63.jpg

You also see some rear sill work. Not sure if I have better pictures of the rear sill? Will check for another post.

img 65.jpg

Love it when a plan comes together.
img 66.jpg

Some sanding to do.
img 67.jpg

Wondering if this thread is getting boring? Not much narrative. As of today we're about 14 months into the project.

My proudest moment so far was finding a way to rebuild the rear wheel well profile/lip. Talked to @bobm and he said "it's not impossible, it's just medal". Unfortunately we don't had the equipment to build it from nothing. Was hoping I could find a similar rear quarter from any vehicle to use? Looked for months at cars while driving, parking lots and the internet. Bought what I thought was a similar piece off of EBAY and it wasn't even close. One day I was looking at a truck with a utility body on it and realized it was very similar to what I was looking for. Measured the radius, it was close. Made a cardboard cutout, held it up to the 55 and it matched! Worth doing some research and see if it was obtainable?
img 59.jpg

Contacted Reading Utility Box company and purchased rear wheel well replacements for both sides (figured they were the same but didn't want to take a chance). Really had not idea what I was buying? Not sure exactly what would show up. After a long wait....probably 3 months. This is what showed up. Very pleased to see it work.
img 27.jpg

Know try to figure out how to make it work?
img 25.jpg

Remember this?
IMG_2253.jpg

Had to build some structure inside the wheel well to hold and support the lip.
img 68.jpg

Cut the lip off the new replacement panels and welded them on to the vehicle.
img 69.jpg
img 70.jpg

Now we're talking! Never thought we'd get it to this level!! It is possible. Probably cheating but we got it done. Clean new wheel wells keeping the original look.
img 22.jpg

Keep it coming this gives me hope one day that I will be able to tackle mine.

I am hooked for sure plenty of pics, we like pics.

This thread is not boring in the least. I’m following with much interest, as I expect many others are. Keep up the great work and keep us updated!

Cheers,

Mike

Thinking you should post up those part numbers for the replacement Reading parts. The rest of us are going to need them at some point in time.
Will do. Need to gather what I have for the group. Was really a shot in the dark but very pleased with the results. Have to look through my notes. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom