For Sale 74' Craigslist Landcruiser, not mine. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series

Ad says that he picked it up at Barrett Jackson, and all the "important" work has been done. What do you guys think? I'll try to add some photos but click the link.

1615422758702.png

1615422773270.png

1615422792195.png

1615422832348.png

1615422817606.png

Ad says that he picked it up at Barrett Jackson, and all the "important" work has been done. What do you guys think? I'll try to add some photos but click the link.

View attachment 2610003
View attachment 2610006
View attachment 2610009
View attachment 2610012

View attachment 2610010
1615422970250.png

Possibly this one? Have to register and login to see the price but you can at least check what he paid.

Luckily I have an account with BJ :) Says he paid 30,800.

This 1974 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser is powered by its original 6-cylinder F-engine and is paired with a 4-speed manual transmission. It features four-wheel power disc brakes, WARN locking hubs, new WARN VR8 winch, new Cooper Discover tires, new interior and new emblems throughout.

Apparently having a correctly install headliner is not on the list of “important things.” Which makes me wonder what else is not on the list of important things? Plus the headlight bezel is upside down for crying out loud. Not to mention it’s a 74 with a weber carburetor. I wouldn’t give it serious consideration at that price.

But then, again it’s late and I’ve had my whiskey!

Non color matched bedliner- yeah looks sloppy IMHO. Doors looked painted without removing hardware. Frame paint looks globed on??? For that money should see more attention to detail. Sagging headliner..... you put 40k into and can’t get that looking nice.... hmmm

IMHO, this is a 50 footer. Looks good from 50 feet away. If you had a compelling interest in a hobby, had copious time and bucket loads of money with little chance of recouping it... fine, go for it. This could be a fine hobby car fit for the right person. Frankly, I think the LC marketplace has severely topped out. Sure, there are always some jewels but in the big picture of the LC marketplace, this is when they start dressing up Nadine the pig with nylons and lipstick. IMHO.

Last edited:
you could probably get serious money off by pointing out these flaws when looking at it/test driving it, depending on how forgiving the seller is. pay special attention to certain places like the area behind the spare tire, the same area on the other side, the front fender flares, the area under the front doors. Those are very famous rust area, and sometimes end up being bondo sculptures. The little things that show could be a sign of bigger things that don't show. I could be wrong, but the rear bumper guard things look a little bit warped, and they have what looks like to be tow hooks on them. If it were my truck, I wouldn't snatch on that point on the truck, but perhaps someone did pull it out from those tow hooks. I could be mistaken, but those rear lights don't look original. To my knowledge, 1974 was the final year the lc had the handle doors and the round rear lights, but this one has later model square lights incorporated into the bumper. Just make sure t point out a lot of things when buying, and you could bring down the listing price significantly. It is a nice truck, but I'm not sure its worth 38k.

edit: I looked it up and 1974 did in fact have those lights in later months of 1974, while still maintaining the old door style

Maybe it's just my bad altitude (attitude being subjective) but during my long quest for bj40 heaven it appears that there are a several people who get caught up in the Barrett-Jackson enthusiasm rush and bought "unique" LC's that, in retrospect, didn't pan out as expected. I'm sure that the noise, enthusiasm, alcohol, thrill of an auction is pervasive but the results often net a quick resale effort after the initial bloom is off that rose. $38,000.... dollars ???.... U.S. dollars ? I don't think so, Tim. Even in LALA land.

Is anyone else bothered by the use of bedliner on the interior or is it just me? I like the original paint, even if it's a bit rusty.....
Maybe original paint color, but not original paint. There was definitely some budget painting happening at some point.
Screenshot_20210314-072108_Chrome.jpg

I am not here to try and pick apart other people’s stuff. But.... looking at the engine bay pic, if I was asking that kind of money, I’d at least push the grommets into the firewall and wipe off the paint overspray from the speedo cable. While I’m in there, may as well put on hose clamps that don’t have 2” of tail.

That guy got burned bad if he paid 30k for it. Ouch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom