'73 FJ40 Hasn't moved in 10 years.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a really nice looking rig. Beware the hanti-virus when cleaning out the mice/rat nest. It can kill you!

Great shape for a rig that has sprouted roots. I disagree, I wouldn't change a thing. Clean up the interior, re-upholster the seats, buff and wax the exterior and that's an easy 10k 40 in my neck of the woods. Keep the wheels.

Although that roll bar tells me that some big mods have been done by a PO so check for filler everywhere. :cheers:

While my checking account probably agrees with you, my long term plans for it need it to be able to go from sea level to 8700 feet in 1 day and start and run reliably in both places. It has hurt my business in the past couple of months when I've been snowed in and not been able to get out and service some equipment. We are also going to be adding equipment a some locations at 5500 and 8700 feet. So I was thinking about a 330hp SBC, MPI, NV4500, Atlas II TC, 4" lift and 35s, if and when I can afford it.

At least the body and panels look to be in pretty good condition

Nice find.
Pretty much plan on taking everything apart ( well not everything) and lube it up, especially the handle on the back hatch. Most seals and soft parts may be shot.. some things can just be taken apart and cleaned up others will need to be replaced. Expect electrical connections to need some attention too. The climate in that area is a real benefit vs. wet and rainy/humid.
I would recommend a mixture of ATF/OIL and kerosene or diesel in the cylinders and crank it by hand just in case a valve is stuck in the open position or anything weird like that. Often something little went wrong like a dead battery or a varnished up carb and people just put things off..
Drain the fuel tank too and have a couple of fuel filters handy too.

Awesome find! I love it when someone gets one that has been laying around for years, then bring it back to life! Good luck with it!

nice

Wow got to love the climate there!

Okay sandblast it down then spray it with salt water every day for 2 years and you'll have what you should of got for that price:eek::eek:

:p:p:p

Nice find!

While my checking account probably agrees with you, my long term plans for it need it to be able to go from sea level to 8700 feet in 1 day and start and run reliably in both places. It has hurt my business in the past couple of months when I've been snowed in and not been able to get out and service some equipment. We are also going to be adding equipment a some locations at 5500 and 8700 feet. So I was thinking about a 330hp SBC, MPI, NV4500, Atlas II TC, 4" lift and 35s, if and when I can afford it.

That is the COOLEST business writeoff ;) of which I have ever heard!!!!! Very nice and great find!

You mention running at sea level and at 8800 feet. I have a similar situation living in Sacramento half time and Tahoe half time. Our place at Tahoe is at 6500 feet but similar to your needs. I have a Ford 302 with an auto and opted away from fuel injection for the time being and have a Holley Truck Avenger tuned for 3500 feet. It is a compromise for sure but does run well at sea level and up to 8000 feet.

Great find. Have a great time. I sure have.

ID pull the plugs put oil in each one let sit a few days then drain gas tank and lines,add fresh gas then try to start it.Those cylinders are probably pretty dry. Mike

Nice find, I cant beleve what condition that thing is in. Would you mind asking what you do for your buisness? sounds like fun if you need a rig like that.

Nice find! would you mind saing what your buisness is? sounds like fun if you need a rig like that for work.

Nice find! would you mind saing what your buisness is? sounds like fun if you need a rig like that for work.

I am a wireless Internet service provider.

nice find. welcome to the addiction.:flipoff2:
These things are just like horses the buying is cheap. Its every thing after that that gets expensive.

But it is alot of fun.

ID pull the plugs put oil in each one let sit a few days then drain gas tank and lines,add fresh gas then try to start it.Those cylinders are probably pretty dry. Mike

Going to add to this as I did this for a 55 that had been sitting a long time and found you cannot just pour oil in the cylinders and crank.

Add a squirt of oil in the cylinders.

Take the valve cover off and tap the rocker arms on the valve side with a soft hammer. Your just trying to make sure any valves that might be stuck are somewhat lose.

Drain the oil.

Replace oil and filter and add something to thin it. Most auto parts stores have a product that is made to add to the oil to help clean a motor. Usually comes in a can. I've heard people using atf or kero.

Yank the distributor. And get a drill and cut the handle off a ling screwdriver. Engage the oil pump and spin it up. Turn the key on and see if you have oil pressure. Look at the valves and see if any oil is starting to flow. If not rotate the motor a few degrees and try again. Reason for doing this is to get the cam alligned so oil will flow to the head and start lubricating things. Once it starts flowing let run for a few minutes. If it runs emidiatly without having to turn the motor then turn it after the head is good so you block it off and put some pressure on the rest of the oil passages. Run it for say 5 minutes or so.

Reinstall distributor.

Drain and fill the radiator. Have a temp probe handy to make sure that once it is started the engine doesn't overheat.

Drain the tank. Connect some other gas source up to the fuel pump. Don't use the old rubber line to the FP. Use something you know is good and clean. Could even disconnect the fuel line at the carb and FP and clean it out with brake cleaner and air. Old fuel is nasty stuff.

Once you have done all that it's time to try to crank it.

If you don't you could do what I did and jump out there and pour fuel in it and crank it. It may run but probably not for long. The old oil in mine had thickened. I couldn't tell that from looking at the dipstick. As the thick stuff was on the bottom. I cranked it up. Let it run. Would fix something and then crank it back up. I let it run for maybe 15 minutes and then heard the sound of a cam bearing going out. As well the squirter for the cam gears was plugged. So the gears are shot. You would be surprised how well an oil pump will suck up a thick pudding type oil. And spray that crap all inside your cruiser.

I always see people writing threads about cruisers that have been sitting for a long time and going out an pouring fuel in them and cranking them up. It may be cool to get something running that hasn't for a long time but chances are your rolling the dice.

After 10 years I'd be replacing

Water pump
all rubber hoses (clutch and brake)
fuel pump
Have the gas tank and the radiator boiled
carb rebuilt
all oil
all fuel
all coolant
remove all brakes and rebuild
battery
all brake and clutch fluid

If it's sitting longer than 10 years

Rebuild alt
Rebuild starter
Rebuild smog pump
Rear main seal replaced
Front crank seal replaced
probably remove the crank pulley and timing cover and replace all gaskets and inspect the oil squirter
Front axle rebuild
Rear axle rebuild
Replace speedo cable
replace throwout bearing
front and rear tranny seal
Front and read t-case seal
clutch slave and master
brake master and all brake cylinders and calipers
flush every line
oil and temp senders

Old vehicles left for a long time are worth even less money than a vehicle that is in worse shape but stopped running a year ago.

IMO

Old vehicles left for a long time are worth even less money than a vehicle that is in worse shape but stopped running a year ago.

IMO

Yeah, my big fear would be bending the push rods. So I'll give tapping on the rocker arms a try. My guess was that if i did nothing to it other than make it road worthy it would be worth 4 times what I paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom