73/74 rock sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been researching rock sliders for my 73. I am looking into options and thought I would check here. I would really like a set like Cruisin' offroads that bolt on, and go around the factory exhaust. I was wondering what people have been using now that Cruisin' is no longer making them. So far it looks like Trail gear, Coastal, and Marlin Crawler are the front runners.
What are people's current go-to options? Who has built a set of bolt on mounts for theirs and would like to share some photos/advice? There is an older thread with some photos of how Cruisin' sliders mount: BJ73 sliders [now] needed. s***. | IH8MUD Forum

Before anyone says I should just get a welder and make a set that not an option for me unfortunately (I have a pacemaker and will either start singing folk songs like Bender with a magnet, or go to the land cruiser parts yard in the sky). So am hoping to find a kit I can have a friend or a shop weld up.

Here is my short list of examples in case anyone looks for this in the future:

I have been researching rock sliders for my 73. I am looking into options and thought I would check here. I would really like a set like Cruisin' offroads that bolt on, and go around the factory exhaust. I was wondering what people have been using now that Cruisin' is no longer making them. So far it looks like Trail gear, Coastal, and Marlin Crawler are the front runners.
What are people's current go-to options? Who has built a set of bolt on mounts for theirs and would like to share some photos/advice? There is an older thread with some photos of how Cruisin' sliders mount: BJ73 sliders [now] needed. s***. | IH8MUD Forum

Before anyone says I should just get a welder and make a set that not an option for me unfortunately (I have a pacemaker and will either start singing folk songs like Bender with a magnet, or go to the land cruiser parts yard in the sky). So am hoping to find a kit I can have a friend or a shop weld up.

I'd roll with Marlin, just because it's Marlin and they make the good stuff.

Also RIP Marlin.

I'd roll with Marlin, just because it's Marlin and they make the good stuff.

Also RIP Marlin.

Marlin is what I was leaning towards, thanks for the input. I like having the kickout on there and they sound like a great option. I've had Trail Gear on a Tacoma and they worked too. Just think a kickout is handy for both getting in and out, getting things down off the roof, and pushing the body away from obsticles.

I'm in the midwest and these guys make top notch stuff, have used them 2x times now

I did a build a couple of years ago and wanted to do bolt on sliders. This is on a 98 T4R. I put a captured tube nuts with dom tubing to extend the entire length thru the frame and welded all those mounts in place. It was a lot of work but it's rock solid and you can jack the truck up on the sliders. it's also very handy to be able to unbolt the sliders and take them off for repaint or other maintenance.

yes get kickouts it's kind of what sliders are all about if you really use them.

I'm not saying this can be used on your truck, just maybe extra idea?

here are the links to my build for that setup.

The front mount for rocksliders on a 70 is a little bit tricky to make since the exhaust is running in the way . I have ordered a multiple order for 73/74 sliders from Jason at Trail Ready that should be delivered in a few weeks . Going to be more expensive then the options you mentioned but bolt on , probably going to cost a arm and a leg though sending a set acrros the country .

These should be direct bolt on for a 73. I just don't like how they hang down so low for the exhaust.

1681214712475.png

I made the set for my 73 series; however, my exhaust is inboard, so did not have to deal with that issue.

Goes fast if you have a bender. I make U shaped 1/4" steel and bolt the top like a clamp.

529aec7e-42e0-4c1e-84d1-f005fdae9565-jpeg.2952959

i bought coastal offroad sliders u weld kit and cut out about 14" or so to make them fit my 70

I looked on Trail Tailor's website but no sliders there for a 70.
He got sick of us I guess.

I looked on Trail Tailor's website but no sliders there for a 70.
He got sick of us I guess.
I ordered a bunch of them , demand for 70 series products was to low for him to keep offering them . I might sell a few sets when I get them in a few weeks , TT products are top notch

I ordered a bunch of them , demand for 70 series products was to low for him to keep offering them . I might sell a few sets when I get them in a few weeks , TT products are top notch
Go on... haha. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Thanks everyone for the reply's. This gives me a lot to think over.

I had a rear bumper made by Jason. It was a beast of a bumper and I would have gladly kept it if the wings were a bit longer for my 77. I should have kept it now that I think about it.

I bought my rear bumper from him as a kit.
It’s great.

I had a rear bumper made by Jason. It was a beast of a bumper and I would have gladly kept it if the wings were a bit longer for my 77. I should have kept it now that I think about it.
I have that bumper stashed away for my next personal 73 build 😉

Can somebody please tell how rocksliders would be properly bolted down on 73?
I took my side steps (is that the term?) off and was shocked that those by factory are bolted to the rocker with only some M6 bolts.
Of course the one bolt next to the exhaust sheered off.
Thanks Ralf

Edit: Saw the picks now. Brackets around the frame rail appear to be the standard, if bolted and not simply welded to the frame. Question answered.

Last edited:
Can somebody please tell how rocksliders would be properly bolted down on 73?
I took my side steps (is that the term?) off and was shocked that those by factory are bolted to the rocker with only some M6 bolts.
Of course the one bolt next to the exhaust sheered off.
Thanks Ralf

Edit: Saw the picks now. Brackets around the frame rail appear to be the standard, if bolted and not simply welded to the frame. Question answered.

img_2991-jpg.443754

Correct, at least for the Cruisin' Offroad ones (this is an older photo from BJ73 sliders [now] needed. s***. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bj73-sliders-now-needed-s.398742/) Looks like a solid mounting system to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom