72 FJ40 converted to a 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prices must be way different in California. I couldn't give mine away. Your best bet is to post it up the classifieds. It's a f and 3spd? Or f1.5 4spd? Latter would be more desirable.

It's a 1/3spd Roma, which is a bit reason I swapping it out with the 3b/5 spd.

Thoughts on how to restore this? Not sure if would be relevant when I switch to a 3B but it is still cool

FJ40 nameplate.jpg

Pulled the instrument cluster out yesterday and started to ID wires for the swap.

Couple of questions on the cluster.

The Good: Glass is in tact, no visible rust, gauges move freely

The Bad: My gasket and the seals around the glass are dry and very brittle. May need to replace that if possible. I did bend a gauge needle and am worries it may fall off.

I'd like to see about painting or at least cleaning up the exterior. Thoughts? The simple green didn't do much. May take a light steel wool to it to see if I can knock off some of the surface scuffs. Thoughts? Otherwise, I can sand it down and paint it grey.

front cluster.jpg

cluster back.jpg

brittle seals.jpg

Anyone know a good color match rattle can for the cluster and other parts in the interior. The grey parts. Couple of stubborn spots are going to require a repaint I thibk

Got a bit of an update. A big couple of boxes and pallets arrived. Got the turbo kit in from Keith (@Diesel42) and the 3B from Dan at 4WheelParts in Edmonton. Everything appeared t arrive without issue. Going to mock up the engine and transmission this week and hopefully get the engine/transmission mounts installed and the 3B/H55f and turbo on while I'm off work. Weather and kids may have other things in the way though. I need to move this F engine out of the garage as well. Might be shipping it off to the scrap yard soon.

Look like the air purge fitting on fuel filter is on the wrong hose, should be on the outlet of the filter. Double check that. Look's clean!
Can you tell me if the small coolant hose between pump and thermostat housing is included in your radiator hose kit. Thanks

Look like the air purge fitting on fuel filter is on the wrong hose, should be on the outlet of the filter. Double check that. Look's clean!
Can you tell me if the small coolant hose between pump and thermostat housing is included in your radiator hose kit. Thanks
Strangely enough, that’s how they come when you hug new ones from Toyota.

that's strange? Look into the B series Engine repair manual 1980 and the b,3b,11b,13b,13bt engine repair manual 1994 and I can see bleeder on the outlet side. But I was surprise when I took appart a 1985 3b with the bleeder intalled on the inlet. I suppose it work on both side since it's been like that for a while! Thanks

Edit: was looking at 1986_maintenance_procedure and found that (on the inlet side)...so documentation of the bleeder can be found on both position... learn something new every day!
1610933922986.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom