71 frame vs 81 frame fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ive been reading some, but there are so many opinions everywhere.

whats the main frame differences. I have a complete parts car that is an 81 i believe. Its rot. it drives, and runs.

I want to use the entire drive train into my 71 frame. since the 81 frame and tub and all is rot.

Is the transmission cross member the only difference, or are mounts going to be different?

Im planning on using the shafts, and the axles from the newer rig....

well im planning on using the 71 body on the 71 frame.

im only using the 80' engine, transmission, driveshafts and the axles.

everything else will not be swapped.

I guess i will find out once i have the frames side by side.

Sounds like a fun project. A drive train swap will be a lot easier than a body swap. You won't have unsolvable issues, but there will be some oddities. Your shifter will come through the tunnel cover, and your clutch hydraulics may need reworking.

4 speed and tcase may conflict with the torque tube crossmember or be so close you can't service the parking brake drum.

thanks guys, i guess i need to relocate the torque tube crossmember. should be fun project

This is one of the best ways to go. Toyota really skimped on the frames and bodies after ~ 1976 or so. But, they improved the drive train, so, what you plan to do is one of the best.

yes, thats what i keep finding. better gear ratios, and disc brakes.

the donor vehicle i bought it runnng, from a guy in KY. the non running shell bought from nashville. just have not had time to do this. and im in planning stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom