70 Series Drum Brake to Disc Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I would love to convert my front and rear drum brakes to disk. Who has done it, what do I need?

Thank you!

Not an expert by any means but I'm surprised any 70 series has front drums. What year, model, etc?
Hi, I have a 1988 HJ75 Troopy and a 1993 HZJ75 Japan Fire Truck. Both of them need discs.

No box.jpg

Wanda.jpg

I will let others with more expertise chime in but in looking at the parts diagrams, it shows both options for front brakes, drum or disk. It also shows two options for the brake booster. Not sure I would bother with rear disk (not an OEM option). Looks simple enough to change out the front parts for disk (rotor, caliper, etc.) and probably the booster. Guessing Kurt @cruiseroutfit could set you up with the parts. Again, biggest bang for your buck will be front disk and it will not be quite so straightforward to try to convert the rears.

I have front 70 series axles with disc brakes on the way that can help you convert the fronts , got some for the rear also but these are spoken for already but you never know if someone backs out .

Your 88 and 93 should have completely different front axles btw, pretty weird that they came with drum brakes though

you never did say if the drums where on the front, I have a 85 Ute from Australia and it has disks on the front, guessing your troopy is also from Australia so it should also have discs in the front. drums are perfectly fine if you have them set up correctly. maybe 1999 and up got discs in the rear.

you never did say if the drums where on the front, I have a 85 Ute from Australia and it has disks on the front, guessing your troopy is also from Australia so it should also have discs in the front. drums are perfectly fine if you have them set up correctly. maybe 1999 and up got discs in the rear.

Hello,

x2.

The more information, the better.

If I remember correctly, Australian 70 Series had drum brakes until the mid 1980s. After that, they changed to disc brakes all around. Drum brakes suffered with the dust in Australia.

It is possible to convert the rear brakes from drum to disc. The parts are available.

Juan

Hi there,
I would love to convert my front and rear drum brakes to disk. Who has done it, what do I need?

Thank you!

His first post seems pretty clear to me, drums all around. Again, the fronts are relatively easy to convert. Not sure converting the rears would be worth the hassle.

Hi there,
my 1988 Troopy is from Costa Rica and the '93 is from Japan. All drums everywhere.

I have front 70 series axles with disc brakes on the way that can help you convert the fronts , got some for the rear also but these are spoken for already but you never know if someone backs out .

Your 88 and 93 should have completely different front axles btw, pretty weird that they came with drum brakes though
Hi there, please do let me know more. Where are you located?

I will let others with more expertise chime in but in looking at the parts diagrams, it shows both options for front brakes, drum or disk. It also shows two options for the brake booster. Not sure I would bother with rear disk (not an OEM option). Looks simple enough to change out the front parts for disk (rotor, caliper, etc.) and probably the booster. Guessing Kurt @cruiseroutfit could set you up with the parts. Again, biggest bang for your buck will be front disk and it will not be quite so straightforward to try to convert the rears.
Thank you so much! I'll get in touch with Kurt!
When you say diagram, is that something online or something you can share? I am relatively new to these cars and don't have all my info sorted.

Thank you!

Thank you so much! I'll get in touch with Kurt!
When you say diagram, is that something online or something you can share? I am relatively new to these cars and don't have all my info sorted.

Thank you!
There are many sources for parts diagrams online. I usually use ToyoDIY.com but there are other sources.

Middle East 2022 70 series still have drums in the back😔. I have a 2021 Vdj78 (troopy) with rear drums and very interested to know if there is a conversion kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom