'68 FJ40 WTF???? this will take a lifetime build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

took a nice spin thru the forest here in the Sierras. Gorgeous out as everything begins to wake from Winter.
Discovered my paint scheme is quite the Spring Chameleon....... Full Camo mode😂, ya hardly know im there if it wasn't for those bling Trailreadys!
Is this considered Hardcore yet??? 😅

Then it snowed overnight Brrrr!! not Summer yet 🥶🥶

More progress!
comforts for the creatures. Mastercraft Baja RS seats HEATED!!!!! got the DS installed, PS happening. MAJOR difference in comfort and retainment. side bolsters keep you in the seat much unlike the old duct-tape covered upside down snow discs in here before.😂
Still lap-belt only for now. Need to get the cage and 28gal tank in before it all is settled and ready for harnesses.

Scored a set of TrailReady Beadlocks in a 17" flavor. This will make 31" tires much more capable crawling. and in place for the future👹. now just need some tires to mount up😂 with tread on them for the con in a few weeks. 17x8 3.5"BS +25mm offset

Hitting the trail on the 10th, be there a few days. Anyone plan to be on the Con that weekend? June 10-15th

Cruisin the 40 life 😍 Picking the Kid up at school, soaking up the Vit D

there we go! all current and we go real time!!😳
i initially started this thread on Marlin, but as one could expect- crickets! so now here i am😎
Heading out to the rubicon the week before you. I believe there is a 31" run that weekend.

@zidaro This thing is so bad ass! Love the patina and also the slow progression to spring green. She is going to be a looker. Looking forward to seeing the progression, you have a nice pile of parts that's for sure!

Last edited:
@zidaro This thing is so bad ass! Love the patina and also the slow progression to spring green. She is going to be a looker. Looking forward to seeing the progression, you have a nice pile of parts that's for sure!
Haha! thanks bud. so far its been a good time. Lots of broken bolts and wormholes😅 but nothing compares to bouncing down the trail with the top off and my foot on the doorsill🤙 40life

Fabbed up and burned in these lil babes yesterday. Beefy tail light guards. 1/4" thick, should protect the lights and reflectors from "most" obstacles😂, and help protect the rear rocker a bit better than nothing

Just getting this trans cover off was a bitch!!

How the heck do i pull the trans out to replace the flywheel/clutch? looks like the bell housing cant be removed around the fly like a 22re? Do i pull the trans and leave the bell attached to motor? also- can i do this without separating the t-case from trans, and leaving the parking brake attached still. And... can i just detach the 4wd low vacuum lines from the tcase without any worry. or do i need to do something special to reattach ??

So perplexed by this old tech stuff😂😂 Feeling like an idiot.
Just hit till i have to replace the points in my dizzy😳

I did rebuild my exhaust though, and mounted my Downey OR transfer case skid!! Had lots of time since i couldn't figure out how to pull the trans😢😢

what a bitch!! i am. Had to really put a lot of baggage in my purse to get enough leverage to yank this thing out😂😂
felt like i need to get to the gym a bit....not.
so, it was a bitch. lot was frozen to the input, wouldn't pass the TO bearing assembly so was stuck till i got aggressive. Then out she came.

Fly and clutch disk look like they could have used some love a few years ago. But it still was worthy driving around town.
anyone need a flywheel? perfect aside from a need of resurfacing. Also have the complete 3finger clutch basket. Disk is in the trash.

Cleaned up the rear tcase parking brake, installed a fresh rear output seal. Maybe one less puddle of evidence at each spot i park at👹👹
Fresh rear crank mainseal and pilot are in, rear of engine mostly cleaned up, ready for a fresh fly and clutch!!

Got serious about electrical issues.
Pulled the alternator. that sucked too. lower bolt frozen so had to air hammer it out after noKroil. Which required removing the exhaust.
as i was hammering it out, realized bolt was going to, and did, contact the radiator fan shroud before releasing. Think the sonovabitch was put in backwards, with nut on back of engine!! If the nut would have been flipped to front, would just slip out. but this way the only way to remove alt. is to pull the radiator shroud. So... i did that too💩

new alt from @Cityracer and a fresh oem toyota regulator from FJparts.com and a new 10mm x1.25 4.5" bolt😂

then, while in there under the hood. Cuz most of my time lately has been spent with my head in the trans cowl. I got a lil crazy and wired in an aux fuse panel with a master fuse switch, some fresh ground wires. Wired in my seat heaters, aux/usb plugs for rear power supply at the center console, and cleaned up a bit of misc. wiring mess. 🤙

time to get busy and install the clutch! also would like to scrape 10lbs of old grease and dirt off that trans before reinstall.
Might even have the seats back in by mid-week!!!

URL=Photobucket - https://app.photobucket.com/u/zidarophoto/a/d770e87e-93dd-4ba9-9c8d-5834dfde5dcc/p/d8d63a0e-1fc9-49ac-8a70-c4ea32660582]
IMG_6096.jpeg
[/URL]

Got it all dialed. clutch in and working, trans all buttoned up, charges now, seat heaters working😂😎. Downey skid plate on. Then my Buddies we were hitting the Con with had a setback so we cancelled. Went out with my Bro for a 5 day backpacking tour in my backyard instead. It was epic.
Might sign up and Run the Roundup in Sept. Does that run req. lockers? :smack:

I am enjoying this thread. What are you using for paint? I ask because there doesn't appear to be a lot of overspray (or tape lines) but it appears far smoother/glossier than rolled finishes I've seen. Is it single stage enamel? If so, how hard was it to learn how to shoot it? Thanks!

@zidaro Any updates on this beauty! Snow must be flyin this time of year, means more shop time for the 40?!?

@zidaro Any updates on this beauty! Snow must be flyin this time of year, means more shop time for the 40?!?
nothing too exciting this summer.
cruised around locally a ton, starting to trust it and consider it reliable a bit more.
Picked up a manual t-case shift linkage set from a member here in prep for the removal of the vacuum system, to then attach it behind the SM465 .
Still accumulating the bits for the front axle swap. Picked up a full FJ80 Histeer Knuckle set from FROR, super trick. pIn process of putting together the Full Hydro Steering kit. Coming along slowly.
Winter has arrived, skiing is great. But snow has treated us well and is staying above my Homes elevation (we live at 8K) put the top on anyway😂 cuz its a comin

I just love the look of this thing. The stance with those TR's and Toyos is perfect!

Accidentally ended up in the local Mammoth Lakes 4th July Parade. My Daughter and all her friends had a blast!

We cruz all around the area, pretty much every day somewhere. no real wheeling though... it still rides like a tractor😂

OK, you gotta clear coat that thing and leave it that way, love it
To be honest i was planning to slowly return it to the Spring Green original. Local shop here was painting as i repaired/replaced body parts. However, they have now closed their doors for good, and no other shop around here so im SOL unless i buy a nice ratttttle can sprayer for myself.
It is clear coated🤙, well- i coasted it all with a rust encapsulator 2 years ago and it seems to be holding its color thru rain and 2 winters.😂😂

I love the way it looks, wish i would not have had to replace the hood and windshield frame thus ending up all pretty and painted

picked me up a lil extra range.

LRA 29gal replacement tank. pretty stoked to more than double the capacity.
install progress will get posted, since i cant find any other info on an install? anyone got beta on these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom