'68 build-- aka -- TANK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well had some time this morning to finish up the 4sp/TC and bellhousing. All went good EXCEPT now the transmission is hung in gear. Shifter acts like it is in a semi neutral position... I have a feeling something shifted while I had the assembly in different positions with the shifter was removed. Shifter won't move into gears (up or down) but has some play left to right... ALWAYS SOMETHING!!

J

P1010945.JPG
P1010948.JPG

Mine did that, I just took the shifter in and out of the top cover a few times and it free'd up. Did you use the 85-87 H42 with the intent of an H55F later on?

Mine did that, I just took the shifter in and out of the top cover a few times and it free'd up. Did you use the 85-87 H42 with the intent of an H55F later on?

Yeah its an '86.. I try not to use anything but 10/85 and newer trans/TC. I'll look more into it next week. Got to be something simple.

J

Ok after a day of scratching my head and finally digging deep enough into the search function I found the issue..Special thanks to @inkpot for commenting on this issue back in 2010. I owe you a :beer:if our paths ever cross. I more than likely took the shifter out while in gear because I had to pry the shift lever back into position. Anyhow, here is what mine looked like when I removed the shifter...

FYI, This is on a 4 speed.

Locked up position pic...

P1010964.JPG

Shifts smooth and freely!!!

P1010961.JPG

Coming right along, love following your builds. I must have missed it and looking back through the thread I can't find the details on the shock towers?

Pilot bearing installed and getting things ready to drop into the chassis. Funny... one of my 70 series rear bumper/frame mounts has the correct alternator mount bolt pattern, HA!!

Getting closer to freeing up more floor space in the shop.

J

IMG_20150526_123832_267.jpg
IMG_20150526_123841_328.jpg
IMG_20150526_123943_931.jpg
IMG_20150526_123952_426.jpg

J when you're out in the shop do you think you can snap a quick picture of how you bolted your engine to the stand bracket? It looks like you made spacers for the top holes? I just bought one of those and can't figure out a good safe way to do it. Thanks.

J when you're out in the shop do you think you can snap a quick picture of how you bolted your engine to the stand bracket? It looks like you made spacers for the top holes? I just bought one of those and can't figure out a good safe way to do it. Thanks.

I had to use quite a few washers to get it where I was happy. Also used 10.8 Gd bolts. I'll get a shot before I unload the stand tomorrow or Thursday.

J

Thanks, I'd use my other stand that's way heavier duty but there's an engine on it :) the harbor freight one looked much stronger online, going to reinforce it to practice welding.

I don't know exactly what it is about copper and black together , but damn that's a sexy engine ....
Sarge

Thanks Sarge. I never do anything to the norm. Closest I came was going back with an 8B4 metallic blue on my old '85-60... Then at the last minute added pearl to the paint... HA! This Subaru caramel bronze doesn't photograph well. Looks much better in person. Once I get the good paint guns out for the paint job and can make the metallics stand up better, it will be a different story.. I HOPE!

x2...have feeling once Jason's done here people will be asking why this was never a color offered. Engine looks great.

People might like it until I throw the Ford tuxedo metallic black top and accessories on.... Then I'll be cussed!! :meh:

BUT THE BEZEL WILL GO ON RIGHT!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

J

Thanks Sarge. I never do anything to the norm. Closest I came was going back with an 8B4 metallic blue on my old '85-60... Then at the last minute added pearl to the paint... HA! This Subaru caramel bronze doesn't photograph well. Looks much better in person. Once I get the good paint guns out for the paint job and can make the metallics stand up better, it will be a different story.. I HOPE!

People might like it until I throw the Ford tuxedo metallic black top and accessories on.... Then I'll be cussed!! :meh:

BUT THE BEZEL WILL GO ON RIGHT!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

J

Like they say opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink. Never been a huge fan of the black top on the 40's, but'll look good with this color. Had you though of doing a pearl white or off-white top...would look pretty sick.

Like they say opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink. Never been a huge fan of the black top on the 40's, but'll look good with this color. Had you though of doing a pearl white or off-white top...would look pretty sick.

I thought about that.. The top will be the last thing I paint. So, I could throw just the white top up on the completed rig and decide from there... Thanks for bringing it up again K, I'm gonna do that. :cheers:

J

Not feeling too swift today, but got a few things done.

Everything mated up fine. I got it put in a temporary resting position until the motor mounts arrive. Then I need to level and balance the assembly and get the transmission crossmember modified.

J

P1010968.JPG
P1010971.JPG
P1010977.JPG
P1010980.JPG
P1010987.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom