60 series....Tech and Classifieds (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hitting terminal velocity
597043AB-7FF8-4537-9611-359696067101.jpeg

I just got back home from the cross country trip toSolid Axle Summit 3 in Ouray, CO. Before this trip the furthest I had driven my 60 was 5 hours to Hot Springs, AR and that was only one time. I was quite nervous about driving a 34 year old vehicle on a 3000 mile road trip. Over all I drove it almost 10 hours a day for 9 days straight. 2500miles of pavement, 220ish miles of 4x4 trails in 4lo, and about 280 miles of dirt or forest service roads.

Headed out there I took it slow as I didn’t really know how it would like long days of steady highway driving. I kept it around 65mph mostly. I had some temp issues that I think were related to air bubbles trapped in the system that I didn’t get out after replacing all the cooling parts. I tried to burp the system a few times along the way and got a few more air bubble out but it seemed the more I drove it the more the temps crept down. By then end of the 4th or so day the engine temps were staying mid gauge vs near the red line.

I was also really skeptical as to how it would perform at altitude, I’ve never driven a carbed vehicle at really any altitude besides sea level. I did notice a power loss as I gained elevation but I was able to maintain the 45mph speed limit on most mountain passes in 3rd gear with the pedal to the floor. The first few passes I was sweating bullets as I’ve never had my rpms above 3k that long but by the end of the week I became comfortable with reaching way up into the rev range. I actually averaged 13-14mpg in the mountains when running 91oct etho free gas.

Being a flat lander I have never needed much use for using my parking brake to get started up a hill. I quickly became a pro at that.

By the end of the week when we were headed back east I had gained a lot of confidence in the 60 so we decided to hammer down. For 8 hours yesterday and 10 hours today I had the pedal to the floor running 75-80mph, even 85 on some downhills lol. Even with the A/C on full blast my temp gauge stayed just barely above halfway. Only incident we had the whole trip was yesterday on the interstate we lost all engine power suddenly, a quick look under the hood and somehow the coil wire came unplugged. Fired up and hammer down. We almost made it casualty free but two hours out from home the A/C went from cold to hot, I think the compressor finally bit the dust.

Long winded post but I gained so much confidence in the truck this week and it was a blast to take on a trip like this. My right foot is still numb from pressing the gas for 10 hours straight today.
C7549902-3C6E-4885-A22F-6E341757C6A9.jpeg

Just did a 11 day 4000+ mile trip from AL to AZ and back. Ran 65-70 most of the way. Took two weeks to cross TX :lol:. Temps in AZ were in the low 100s and I had no overheating issues. Average trip mileage was 13.8 using 86-87 octane. Never noticed the AC dragging down the hp of the 2F cuz this FJ60 has never had working AC since I've owned it, 16 years.

The road from Artesia, NM to Las Cruces, NM is a great drive. The Chiricahua Mountains in SE AZ are fantastic. North of Tuscon the road up Mt. Lemmon is another great drive.

During the trip my power steering pump started leaking slightly that has now turned into having to refill the reservoir every few days.

Should I just replace it with an OEM one, City racer has them for $210 or is it a good upgrade to go with a Saginaw pump and get the valley hybrids adapter?

During the trip my power steering pump started leaking slightly that has now turned into having to refill the reservoir every few days.

Should I just replace it with an OEM one, City racer has them for $210 or is it a good upgrade to go with a Saginaw pump and get the valley hybrids adapter?

I’ve got two City Racer and they are great.

Where is it leaking?

I’m not 100% sure yet where it is leaking. The reservoir seems to be leaking some but there has to be a second leak somewhere else.

I’m not 100% sure yet where it is leaking. The reservoir seems to be leaking some but there has to be a second leak somewhere else.
Check the steering gear box on the frame too. I thought mine was leaking from the PS pump too, but the box ended up having to be rebuilt. No leaks after

Reactions: JTU
Check the steering gear box on the frame too. I thought mine was leaking from the PS pump too, but the box ended up having to be rebuilt. No leaks after
Same here... mine was leaking like crazy and it ended up being the box and I had one rebuilt and no leaks. I also installed a city racer pump when I put in new box, but didn’t need too.

Reactions: JTU
Same here... mine was leaking like crazy and it ended up being the box and I had one rebuilt and no leaks. I also installed a city racer pump when I put in new box, but didn’t need too.
I got my box rebuilt by West TX Offroad

Who can tell me what these two things do in my 1986 FJ60. They are located in the drivers side kick panel near the emissions computer I removed today. I presume they need to stay in the truck but I would like to know what their function is ...one seems to be a relay center (weird name on the device itself) .... anyway chime in if you know what each does.

FYI...my truck has a GM V8, the stock I-6 left the building some time ago....

20190825_161207_resized.jpg
20190825_161230_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom