60 Series FF hubs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We stock a variety of front/rear wheel hubs including a Japanese aftermarket for your axle. I could certainly look but what are you doing for brakes? Offsetting the flange would also push the brake drum out. What are your plans to solve that?

As for the overhaul kit, we have you covered with full kits (Koyo or Timken) or all individual parts too:

I had that FF rear axle on my cruiser. It wasn't available on USA 60s. As far as I know there's zero aftermarket parts for it. Can still get seals & bearings from Toyota though .

We have aftermarket Japanese wheel hubs, lock nut, brakes, shafts, etc. About the only FF specific part we don't stock and can't get is the axle housing itself.

This is bringing it back 12 years, so I apologize for the pic quality. The ifs hubs are a bit shorter in overall length than the 60 FF hubs, so spindle stick out would be the big problem.

The wheel bearings are the same, wheel bearing seal is the same, so the only issue is the spindle length. Not sure how to get around that, but a set of custom ifs hubs with more length would probably do it.

As for brakes, you could ditch the drums, retain the ifs disks with the ifs hubs, and bolt/weld a caliper bracket on where the old drum backing plate would be. Would be a pretty typical rear disk brake conversion from that standpoint.

I never attempted this swap due to the hub length problem, but I did try it back then.

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0376-1.JPG

You can almost see the casting seam in the 60 FF hub where the additional length is.

IMG_0377.JPG

In conclusion, wheel spacers are the easier route.

We stock a variety of front/rear wheel hubs including a Japanese aftermarket for your axle. I could certainly look but what are you doing for brakes? Offsetting the flange would also push the brake drum out. What are your plans to solve that?

As for the overhaul kit, we have you covered with full kits (Koyo or Timken) or all individual parts too:

The axle already had a disc conversion. So I figured I would keep it disc's. I was planning on calling you tomorrow. I looked on your website today and saw you listed a kit. Thanks for the imput.

This is bringing it back 12 years, so I apologize for the pic quality. The ifs hubs are a bit shorter in overall length than the 60 FF hubs, so spindle stick out would be the big problem.

The wheel bearings are the same, wheel bearing seal is the same, so the only issue is the spindle length. Not sure how to get around that, but a set of custom ifs hubs with more length would probably do it.

As for brakes, you could ditch the drums, retain the ifs disks with the ifs hubs, and bolt/weld a caliper bracket on where the old drum backing plate would be. Would be a pretty typical rear disk brake conversion from that standpoint.

I never attempted this swap due to the hub length problem, but I did input.

back then.

View attachment 2635745

View attachment 2635747

You can almost see the casting seam in the 60 FF hub where the additional length is.

View attachment 2635749

In conclusion, wheel spacers are the easier route.
I have an ifs hub that I am putting on the front. I didn't see an easy way to get around the hub being shorter... wheel spacers may be the easy solution. I was just hoping an early 80 ff hub would be the same with a wider wms...

I have an ifs hub that I am putting on the front. I didn't see an easy way to get around the hub being shorter... wheel spacers may be the easy solution. I was just hoping an early 80 ff hub would be the same with a wider wms...
Oh, sorry, didn't realize you knew all that already. Thought I was helping, having been down this road before. The 80 hubs are shorter than the ff60 hubs as well iirc, but I don't have that measurement handy.

Also, all of the fzj80 ff rear hubs are the same. The early 80 rear axles were semi floating.

Post up what you find.

I'll see if I can take a minute tomorrow to lay out a 60, 70 and 80 series rear full float rear hub side by side. We actually have all the front hubs too so perhaps one big layout if I get a moment. this would make some interesting tech.

I'll see if I can take a minute tomorrow to lay out a 60, 70 and 80 series rear full float rear hub side by side. We actually have all the front hubs too so perhaps one big layout if I get a moment. this would make some interesting tech.

This is still on my list of things to try and tackle today or this week :D

@cruiseroutfit Thanks for taking the time to measure!!

Here is pics of the email I got from Kurts guys.
The 80 rear hubs will fit on the FF60 rear from the measurements and will move out the WMS.

kurt.JPG
kurt1.JPG

I wanted to get this posted and say thanks to Kurt and his crew for the help!!!

Neat but why not just get an 80 axle

Neat but why not just get an 80 axle

I agree. If I had an 80 axle I would have used it.

That being said, if your not using the parking brake on an 80. This setup will also narrow the 80 a little if a person didn't want it that wide. It does open some more interchangeability from mr Toyota. Like you said, it is neat..

This is cool! So basically, people with the 60 series FF already installed can install these 80 hub bodies on the axle and not have to use spacers to match the front width if you go with the IFS brake upgrade?

This is cool! So basically, people with the 60 series FF already installed can install these 80 hub bodies on the axle and not have to use spacers to match the front width if you go with the IFS brake upgrade?

That is the way I see it. Which is why I was curious if if would work. It would be nice to eliminate wheel spacers. Not that I have had a problem with them. Just want to avoid a problem with them. lol.

Still need some way to make the rear brakes work. Could probably space the backing plates out to suit but then the brake lines would be to short.

I had been putting some thought in brakes as well. Why not put the backing plate on from an 80? Have discs and parking brakes?? Just a thought...

I already have 80 calipers on my rig, so spacers or new brackets are no big deal for me. But the parking brake feature might be nice.

Happy to help. The team did all the hard work (pulling parts and emailing), I just helped them measure :D

I had been putting some thought in brakes as well. Why not put the backing plate on from an 80? Have discs and parking brakes?? Just a thought...

I already have 80 calipers on my rig, so spacers or new brackets are no big deal for me. But the parking brake feature might be nice.

So what did you end up doing for brakes?

Haven't done anything yet. Was planning on doing this axle swap this winter when I am done driving it. I will try to remember to update this.

I did talk to the guy at SOSPerformance. And I am going to send him a center bore measurement. He has custom Toyota backing plates that would probably be cheaper than the factory 80 backers.. So that may be the route I go.

So a little more confirmation of the info since i was able to get all the 6-lug hub versions in one place.

From left to right:
60/70 (late 40) front disc brake hub
79-90 front drum brake hub (large Non-US front drum)
40/70/60 Full Float rear hub
FZJ80 rear disc hub.

All four have the same bearing distances/offset and should fit any of the spindles. The big difference is the height of the hub bodies.

8EBBC2E9-7FA2-47F5-82E3-3426F6D61DAD.jpeg

E0DFFA09-CDD6-413D-BBBC-9E8B5144B65F.jpeg
F7A6A02F-9614-4F7C-9406-88FBA1289080.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom