6-spline/30-spline Interchangeable on Warn Hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me if the only difference between the Warn hub#28781 (6-spline) and the #28771 (30-spline) is the female spline receiver thats part of the Warn hub?

I don't know what the actual name of the part in question is, so I'm including a photo.

Since the 6-alpine hub is no longer available from Warn, I'm wondering if getting a new, #28771 hub to work on my 1970 FJ would be as simple as swapping out the "receiver".

Thanks a lot!

WarnHub_detail.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot say 100% but, I believe the 6 spline insert is the only difference. Actually, I never thought about doing that. That would be an all new hub minus the insert.

Thanks for those drawings. They do kinda 'imply' the parts are interchangeable.

The thought occurred to me a couple of days ago, that when Toyota went from a 6 to a 30-spline shaft, the easiest thing (and cheapest thing for Warn to do would be to simply swap out the shaft receiver piece.

I wish I could get Warn to comment on this, but have had no luck so far.

From my experience, The aluminium castings are all pretty much all the same, with different internals. I can't make a blanket statement that "all" for sure are the same, though. I'm pretty sure I've swapped internals like what you're asking. I've also run across this with Warn internal spline lockouts too.

I do not believe it will work. I believe the parts would interchange...from hubs of the same vintage. But the new hubs actually have a fundamentally different design, so I would not assume any parts are interchangeable.

Didn't the outer shaft change length slightly when thing progressed from course to fine splines?

What gets me is why Warn discontinued a part that was still a demand for.
There is still demand, but the numbers aren’t enough to justify new tooling for the new design internals. Of the small number of early Land Cruisers that remain, only a small percentage need new hubs. Most already have them by now. No profit to be made on them.

Hmm, maybe I should get a pair of drive flanges and sell my Warn hubs. o_O ....Nah!

Last edited:
Didn't the outer shaft change length slightly when thing progressed from course to fine splines?

No, it was when they went from small pattern to large pattern knuckles (1979)

Here is still demand, but the numbers aren’t enough to justify new tooling for the new design internals. Of the small number of early Land Cruisers that remain, only a small percentage need new hubs. Most already have them by now. No profit to be made on them.

Hmm, maybe I should get a pair of drive flanges and sell my Warn hubs. o_O ....Nah!

Sounds reasonable, but, warn had been making them for so many years one would think if money is to be made , they would continue some short runs. The six spline insert certainly does not look like much to make. I worked in a machine shop for years and to run a couple hundred of them would take a day or two.
Since I am not in the inner circle of these companies, who knows. I am not even sure the hubs are even made in the USA ?

As Mark mentions, there are two designs for these. I believe there is a thread somewhere on this or at least mention that it has been done.

If you were swapping parts of the same design, I believe it would work. I do know that the housing in the early ones are different. see pics

I also can tell you the older styles are almost half the weight of the new ones. as far as making new 6 spline pieces in a shop. not a simple as one would think. these are hardened pieces, I would guess anywhere from a 55 - 60 Rockwell. not too soft to strip and not to hard to shatter. hope this helps.

HUB1.jpg
HUB2.jpg
HUB3.jpg
HUB4.jpg

Thanks, folks. It looks like I'll have to continue my search for a new set sitting on someone's dusty back shelf.

So i took the two apart for you to see the differences. I believe you can swap the 6 pline peice into the new housing by using a few machines spacers. In the picture you can see my original 6 spline drive shaft gear in the new warn housing. The splines line up. In the next picture the difference between the two. Looks like a spacer taking up the space from one side or the other or both will make it work. Maybe a small bronze machines spacer(s)

IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG

Skully, thanks a ton for the effort! Much appreciated.

But: in your top photo the 6-spline shaft "receiver" part seems to mesh perfectly within the new housing.

Your bottom photo shows the difference between the two receivers and why spacers might be needed.

My question is wouldn't the spacers move the receiver out of the perfect fit shown in the top photo?

not if all the spacing was done outside the hub, assuming there is clearance between the part in question and the spindle. If you had to split the difference the drive shaft gear would raise slightly in the housing. as long as there is good engagement it wouldn't be a problem.
when I say slightly maybe 2-3mm (1/8 or less)

Ahhh. You mean move the whole hub assembly (in or out) to get proper alignment of the receiver with the driveshaft?

Ahhh. You mean move the whole hub assembly (in or out) to get proper alignment of the receiver with the driveshaft?

I mean spacers as part of the hub assembly see below. make (X) the same as (Y)
a machined bronze spacer would be perfect. and if you have clearance between the drive gear and the spindle have the thick spacer take up most of the space to get (Y)

IMG_0759.JPG

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. I think I need to buy a used 30-spline unit and take it and my 6-spline apart to see if having the pieces in front of me helps me understand your suggestions. Thinking in 3-dimensional abstracts does not seem to be my strong suit.

I will get back to you with (hopefully) a progress update. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom