Front axle: driveshaft spline data (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
When did the spline size change (what model year) and do the '76-'84 driveshafts have the same spline size as the 60 series?

I looked in the FAQ, but it's inexplicably absent.

Last edited:
I should have been more specific. The outboard ends. But while we're at it, for the good of the group, the inboard ends too, since it's not in the FAQ.

I should have been more specific. The outboard ends. But while we're at it, for the good of the group, the inboard ends too, since it's not in the FAQ.

Do you mean Pinion flanges?

I mean the driveshafts inside the axle, which have two ends, the inboard which is connected to the spider gears and the outboard which is connected to the drive flanges or locking hubs, whichever is fitted.

and the outboard end is a cast/forged part of the axle. The semi float LC 9.5 had coarse spline spider gears in the early/later 60's, 30 spline after that. Yes, 60's same, the 80's changed it up.

The front driveshafts have splines on the outboard ends.
1692053720708.png
My question was, what year models have which spline configurations.

Idk, when they change spline count. You're not finding anything searching because you are inquiring about inner front axles. The top diagram is called ball and claw and are probably coarse spline. The lower pic is an inner axle and birfield. For info on frt ends go to FAQ'S at the top of this section and scroll down to frt ends and read away.

Last edited:
Outer Splines: 10 spline until 1975 (introduction of disc brakes). Then they go to 30 spline.

Inner axles (at differential): 10 spline though 1967. Then they go to 30 spline in 1968.
Geez! Thank you!

Idk, when they change spline count. You're not finding anything searching because you are inquiring about inner front axles. The top diagram is called ball and claw and are probably coarse spline. The lower pic is an inner axle and birfield. For info on frt ends go to FAQ'S at the top of this section and scroll down to frt ends and read away.
There is no info in the FAQ; that's why I asked the question.

There is no info in the FAQ; that's why I asked the question.

My apologies. Beno has you covered. I'm curious, what are you trying to do? If you don't mind me asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom