5 speed into a Troopy questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been reading up on fitting a five speed gearbox into the BJ45 Troopy for a while but think I have confused myself. It seems to be straight forward in the late vehicles, 1984 or so but the earlier ones I have seen from around 1982 still have the gearbox parking brake and I recall reading that the transfer box is not compatible.

Will I need a new transfer box and or cross member? I have been offered a whole BJ73 which might be a donor for some parts but again not sure what changed mechanically between the late 40 series and early 70

Thanks

I installed a h55 5 speed into a 82 fj40 (2f) many years ago. It was pretty straight forward. The transfer case should be one you would normally find in a fj60. I' m not sure if 1981 was the 1st year for this type Tcase in a 40. If yours is has a diesel engine there is a difference on the spline count and the lengh of the output shaft on the h55 tranny if I remember correctly. I know it's been brought up, not sure if it was in 40 or diesel section....or both.

I used the same bellhousing and tranny mount that was the in 82 fj40. The tranny mount in the 82 40 is same the same vintage fj60. However, there are different variaions as far as the tranny mounts between years on 60s I believe. Anyhow, when I tried to mate the 2f bellhousing I had ground out two spots so to get the h55 to fit. This grounding mod does not hurt the integrity of the bellhousing. The front drive shaft was lengthen and the rear shortened. I got lucky and was able to find a fj40 tranny top shifting plate. All h55s come with a fj60 shifting top plate. If you don' t have one, some cutting will be requred to get the shift section to fit. It's actually a really nice mod in my opinion.

Last edited:
I seem to recall that 1981 was a change year, possibly when the e.brake was moved to the rear axle though both the 82 Troopy wagons I saw still had this old set up or maybe Toyota were using up old parts stock. I hope by taking the h55 from a 3b engined truck it will be an easy fit...

Wow, here in the U.S. we have the e- brake on the axle on the 82 fj40. The only other thing I did was replace the main bearings on the tcase since I had to take apart. And I used a factory manual which was a huge help. I used a pilot bearing puller and torque wrench. Pretty much everything else were common tools. Good Luck.
Make sure to replace the oiler cup with a new one. It attaches to the tcase. Helps lube the h55f tranny.

Last edited:
I have been reading up on fitting a five speed gearbox into the BJ45 Troopy for a while but think I have confused myself. It seems to be straight forward in the late vehicles, 1984 or so but the earlier ones I have seen from around 1982 still have the gearbox parking brake and I recall reading that the transfer box is not compatible.

Will I need a new transfer box and or cross member? I have been offered a whole BJ73 which might be a donor for some parts but again not sure what changed mechanically between the late 40 series and early 70

Thanks

Instead of going over all the possibility why not tell us the year of your BJ45 and the same of the BJ73. Market they are from and if they are.LHD or RHD. Going with a used transmission things like grinding the bellhousing may not need to be done.

PS the first couple of years of the split transfer were not set up for a fifth gear oiler. The LWB 40 series had the hand brake on the transfer case from 8/80 (start of the split transfer case) until the end of production.

Last edited:
If he is using a h55 from a donor, chances are the bell housing attached to the h55 will be used. The grinding that I did was 10 minute job. I wish I had the donor vechicle he will be using. Somethng else I did was instead of using the original e-brake handle from the fj40 I used one from fj60. It seemed a little better feel on the handle and easier to pull.

If he is using a h55 from a donor, chances are the bell housing attached to the h55 will be used. The grinding that I did was 10 minute job. I wish I had the donor vechicle he will be using. Somethng else I did was instead of using the original e-brake handle from the fj40 I used one from fj60. It seemed a little better feel on the handle and easier to pull.

Since we never got the 70 series I'm not familiar with the crossmember used in them. 11/84 seems to be the date the bellhousings rotated. Use the bellhousing from the BJ73 probably want to figure a way to use the crossmember from the BJ73 as well. Key is make sure not mixing parts that don't work together. I do know on the 40 series the short and mid wheel base use the same crossmember L brackets while the long wheel base used a different L brackets for the F/B than the H engines both of which are different than short/mid wheel base.

Yep, I'm not Sure If will bolt on directly without modifying it in regards to the 70 series but it looks similar to the 60. If not a US 82 40 or 60 series will bolt on. If not....You make it fit. ;)

Last edited:
Not sure if you got that version in OZ

We didn't get that variant here though I now see they were indeed sold in Europe.

I'd be interested to know what gear box crossmember the BJ45 use?...If your existing crossmember has the drain hole on the front edge as indicated by the red arrow in the pic below you have a 5 speed compatible crossmember.

P1050794.JPG

Last edited:
PS the first couple of years of the split transfer were not set up for a fifth gear oiler. The LWB 40 series had the hand brake on the transfer case from 8/80 (start of the split transfer case) until the end of production.

I think that is what confused me. The first 1982 I looked at had the transmission handbrake when i thought I had read this went out after '81. If all long wheelbase had this then i know what to expect.

I am still looking to buy a BJ45 at the moment. The problem has been that it must be Portuguese registered as I intend to keep it there. I think I might have to reduce my expectations a little and just take the plunge and get something with more kilometers than I would like. The best one so far was the first I viewed but the moment I hesitated someone else bought it the next day

The parts BJ73 is 1987 and is in france but I know the seller. As I run one of these already then hopefully I could make use of most of the parts

We didn't get that variant here though I now see they were indeed sold in Europe.

I'd be interested to know what gear box crossmember the BJ45 uses?...If your existing crossmember has the drain hole on the front edge as indicated by the red arrow in the pic below you have a 5 speed compatible crossmember.

View attachment 1687303

My guess the L brackets will be the same as the FJ45. Would have to double check but pretty sure my FJ45 L brackets have the FB stamped in them just like the short/mid wheel base does. For what ever reason the HJ47 has a different one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom