4x4 Labs....Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having bought from Luke, although I bought a kit, and not a welded bumper, I can say that his communication is ok, but not timely, which I understand being a small opperation. The lead time on my bumper kept getting extended as well, I think it's just how it goes with these specialty manufacturers.

I feel Luke's response was totally acceptable.

I had a local shop add a bull bar to my taste.

I'll echo what some others have said here and say that Luke is doing the responsible thing here and is doing everything he should to make this right. You're buying a custom piece of hardware from Luke and then paying somebody else to install it. The transactions end at each party for each activity. I know this sucks but don't blame Luke for the other shop's inattention to detail.

Also, I'd like to see some pictures of the welds you are saying are so horrible. If you're going to blast someone's reputation on their quality of work you really need to back it up with proof. I've seen numerous examples of his shop's welding and they're some of the best examples I've seen. (and I used to inspect welds on submarines)

One other thing...does the rear bumper for the 100 require you to cut the rear crossmember off the frame? (the 80 series does, that's why I ask)

If you do cut the crossmember off as I assume, what are your plans for a rear bumper when you send the Labs one back?

One other thing...does the rear bumper for the 100 require you to cut the rear crossmember off the frame? (the 80 series does, that's why I ask)

If you do cut the crossmember off as I assume, what are your plans for a rear bumper when you send the Labs one back?

I don't remember reading anything about a rear bumper?

I don't remember reading anything about a rear bumper?

It's in the first post:

So, I ordered a custom front bumper(with a never before requested bull bar) on it and a rear bumper with attachments from 4x4 Labs, in the middle of June, for my '99 LX470.

I delivered my rig to him and he removed my stock bumpers, spent about half a day installing the rear and another couple hours on the front.

When @4x4labs did my rear UZJ100 bumper 8 years ago, it was one of the first they ever did for a 100 and I ordered custom swing-outs. To add to the complexity, they shipped me the bumper to Texas, where I did the install myself. It ended up being about 95% right (needed minor adjustments on some of the mounts), which I figured out was more than reasonable given the custom nature of the bumper and the fact that I never had the luxury of test fitting before it was put on a pallet/truck. Luke was extremely accommodating throughout the process and spent a good amount of time with me on the phone. I felt their customer service was top-notch, and I've recommended his shop dozens of times throughout the years.

I'm sorry that your experience was different, and I understand your frustration, especially with the first guy you talked to before Luke got involved. But expecting them to pay for the powder-coating or the labor you paid to install doesn't seem realistic to me. A full refund *after* you've powder-coated to your preference seems like a good compromise, although if I were you I still wouldn't be happy so long after this started.

Good luck with the next shop, hopefully you end up with product/service you're pleased with and will look at this as a lesson learned down the road. Whatever you end up picking to replace it, post pictures!

Yeah, suburban folks don't know much about living in deer country do they?

Punk!
Luke is a badass. He is probably a little bit high right now but he is making it right. Paying for labor? Cmon.

Btw shame on you for ordering that gross bull bar garbage in the first place. Can we talk about how terrible that looks?

I also paid another $400+ to have the damn thing shipped here.

And even if I installed it myself, don't you guys think YOUR time is worth anything?? If you were to install it yourself, that is?

If you look at the picture, it's not completely obvious that that it's off...just a couple inches...

View attachment 1811123
Sorry to say, but if you are hoping for someone on Mud to speak ill of 4x4labs, you'll have to look very hard. Everyone around here knows he's a stand up guy and that's why we support his business.

Not hoping for that, everyone has their opinion, for sure. I'm hoping that some of you will agree that I'm owed for labor and that the treatment toward their customer(me) wasn't very good....sure, Luke's email was honorable, but, I didn't specify in detail my experience with HD, and even if I did accept a replacement bumper, why should I be placed behind other work, be required to return it(the LC bumper) and re-install my stock bumper for the duration of the wait for the correct bumper? That doesn't make for a happy customer....:

Imagine yourself in my shoes: order a bumper, pay for it and shipping. It arrives, isn't right, and you have to wait another month(estimate...could be longer) to get what you ordered in the first place. Previous to purchasing from 4x4, I found other fabricators that made products out of 1/4" (4x4 is 3/8")steel that had a 3 month backlog that I passed up, as Luke said they could do it in a month and a half. That wasn't the case.

By the time it was finished I found Dave at Delta VS: http://deltavs.com and now I'm taking my rig to him to be the donor for his first LX470 bumpers.

Thank you for all your opinions. Lessons learned.

Sorry to say, but if you are hoping for someone on Mud to speak ill of 4x4labs, you'll have to look very hard. Everyone around here knows he's a stand up guy and that's why we support his business.

Not hoping for that, everyone has their opinion, for sure. I'm hoping that some of you will agree that I'm owed for labor and that the treatment toward their customer(me) wasn't very good....sure, Luke's email was honorable, but, I didn't specify in detail my experience with HD, and even if I did accept a replacement bumper, why should I be placed behind other work, be required to return it(the LC bumper) and re-install my stock bumper for the duration of the wait for the correct bumper? That doesn't make for a happy customer....:

Imagine yourself in my shoes: order a bumper, pay for it and shipping. It arrives, isn't right, and you have to wait another month(estimate...could be longer) to get what you ordered in the first place. Previous to purchasing from 4x4, I found other fabricators that made products out of 1/4" (4x4 is 3/8")steel that had a 3 month backlog that I passed up, as Luke said they could do it in a month and a half. That wasn't the case.

By the time it was finished I found Dave at Delta VS: http://deltavs.com and now I'm taking my rig to him to be the donor for his first LX470 bumpers.

Thank you for all your opinions. Lessons learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it all works out for you. This custom stuff is expensive, slow and comes with hick-ups. I've learned my lessons over the past 2 years of modding my 100. This isn't Amazon, and I think we get accustomed to that level of service.

Getting front and rear bumpers made by Delta VS : http://deltavs.com .... AND, feeling really good about that! Delivering the LX to Boise by the end of this week, so maybe this will turn into a positive for the rest of you too!

@FJBroBri I am excited to see what Delta does bumper wise. Please keep us updated.

As the receiver of custom work, it is YOUR responsibility to inspect it prior to installation. You didn’t do your due diligence. This is on you. You should have measured and remeasured to make sure this “never before requested” bull bar didn’t obstruct the lighting prior to installation. If you want 4x4 Labs to make it right, perhaps negotiate with them to buy another bumper, have them build it, swap them out and return the one with no turn signals/bull bar. If you’re “done “ with 4x4, then chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

In my 30 years of engineering and construction experience, making this right is your call, Luke has done everything he should do on his end.

Bad luck happens sometimes. You didn't make a mistake, but the business is offering a reasonable (not perfect) remedy. Stuff like this happens when buying custom products from small companies.

Thanks for your positive remarks and opinions about this. I don't need to make a big deal anymore about $200 here and $200 there.

Hope it all works out for you. This custom stuff is expensive, slow and comes with hick-ups. I've learned my lessons over the past 2 years of modding my 100. This isn't Amazon, and I think we get accustomed to that level of service.

True that! By the way, I like the simple bull bar added to your bumper. That would've been a better option for me, as well. I've had two local shops make me custom bumpers for other rigs and they could've done what you did.

As the receiver of custom work, it is YOUR responsibility to inspect it prior to installation. You didn’t do your due diligence. This is on you. You should have measured and remeasured to make sure this “never before requested” bull bar didn’t obstruct the lighting prior to installation.

I accept that this approach is best and the correct way to move forward with a custom product, regardless of the supplier.

Also, I'd like to see some pictures of the welds you are saying are so horrible. If you're going to blast someone's reputation on their quality of work you really need to back it up with proof. I've seen numerous examples of his shop's welding and they're some of the best examples I've seen. (and I used to inspect welds on submarines)

I can do this. Will post later today. It all comes down to opinions here, obviously.... Unless there are a panel of judges, or professional inspectors presiding over some common rules. So, for me, looking at the welds on these bumpers..it's my opinion that the weld presentation goes along better with an FJ40 era vehicle and not a UZJ100.

I would not be happy if I was in your shoes as well but I do think it's as fair as this could be. in the end, you'll be getting a bada$$ bumper from delta, which makes one of the best looking bumpers out there for the 80 series...hopefully it'll be similar in the 100. please share that once it's completed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom