4x4 Labs....Anyone?

SJWantsADiesel

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Thanks for the thread @FJBroBri

Starting to build up my LX450 and yesterday night, I almost placed an order for the 4x4Labs rear bumper. Reading through this thread, I went from buying - to not buying at beginning of the thread, to buying - in the middle of the thread, to let-me-shop-some-more by the end of it. From reading this thread and other ones about 4x4labs, looks like communication and lead time lag have been a persistent issue. I am looking to have my truck done and built in the next 4-6 weeks so best case, if I placed an order, the bumper would arrive towards end of my project. But I have learned not to count on best case scenarios, when doing custom work and/or projects :D

Right now, 4x4labs is the only vendor I can find that has a decent rear modular bumper under $1k. ARB will ship quick but is twice the money. IPOR will take 4-6 weeks but again twice of what I am willing to spend at this point.

SJWantsADiesel

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Everyone buys Luke's bumpers for a reason. It's worth the wait!
Yes, I see stellar reviews except one thread about the build quality. Still investigating the bumpitoffroad product - it is a bit pricier (and shipping is a little more too compared to 4x4labs).

I just realized that the swing out arms needed to be welded on to the raw/basic bumper if they aren't already welded on from "factory" so the modularity is sort of limited in that sense - that is - if you buy the basic build then adding swing outs later is fab work, not just putting on a few bolts. At the price point of bumper with swing out + a tire carrier, I also have the ARB to consider. :cautious:

FJBroBri

SILVER Star
Yes, I see stellar reviews except one thread about the build quality. Still investigating the bumpitoffroad product - it is a bit pricier (and shipping is a little more too compared to 4x4labs).

I just realized that the swing out arms needed to be welded on to the raw/basic bumper if they aren't already welded on from "factory" so the modularity is sort of limited in that sense - that is - if you buy the basic build then adding swing outs later is fab work, not just putting on a few bolts. At the price point of bumper with swing out + a tire carrier, I also have the ARB to consider. :cautious:
If you're looking for an 80 series rear bumper, I have a brand new never installed ARB unit....

Thanks for the thread @FJBroBri

S I am looking to have my truck done and built in the next 4-6 weeks so best case, if I placed an order, the bumper would arrive towards end of my project. But I have learned not to count on best case scenarios, when doing custom work and/or projects :D

Right now, 4x4labs is the only vendor I can find that has a decent rear modular bumper under $1k. ARB will ship quick but is twice the money. IPOR will take 4-6 weeks but again twice of what I am willing to spend at this point.
4-6 weeks is a very short time to order parts, receive them, and then install them all. This is assuming you have more than just a rear bumper that you are needing. I would say it's even an unfeasible time frame if you are looking to have product built for you and shipped. A company like Slee probably has enough stock to get you in business within a week, but they also aren't building stuff to order.

SJWantsADiesel

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
4-6 weeks is a very short time to order parts, receive them, and then install them all. This is assuming you have more than just a rear bumper that you are needing. I would say it's even an unfeasible time frame if you are looking to have product built for you and shipped. A company like Slee probably has enough stock to get you in business within a week, but they also aren't building stuff to order.
This would be my first Land Cruiser build of any generation but I have had a ‘85 22re pickup and Samurai built from pretty much scratch - transmission, t-case, drivetrain, lockers, armor - the works and I cannot recall having to wait for any part for 4-6 weeks. Maybe a week, tops for some small parts but then I did not order anything from small/custom shops (unless you count Marlin/LROR as small). That said, I am in no hurry to get a rear bumper so I can wait :)

Mudder

SILVER Star
A LC is different than a mini truck. It is less popular when it comes to companies making stuff for them.

thumper

Reading this has me at odds. I had the first LX450 rear bumper from Luke. Of course, I lived a few hours away from him so shipping wasn't involved. There was a lot of trial fitting due to the extra body cladding on my Lexus. Back then, it was just Luke and I believe just one or two more employees. Time was slow and responses were slow, but like anything else, I knew what I wanted and was willing to wait for it. It seems that as small businesses grow, sometimes there are growing pains in all aspects of their business. I know that I have seen this in a lot of the smaller shops in the past 15 years.
In the end, I loved my bumper. It took probably a month and a half from start to finish. I have since sold that vehicle and now with another LX450, I am considering them again. Will I go with a 4x4 labs again, not sure as I am no longer 2 hours away, but more like 14 hours away. There are a lot of choices out there, find what best suits you and go with it. Sorry for my rambling, been a long night/early morning.

SJWantsADiesel

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
The IPOR bumper page lists lots of accessories as "4x4 labs design". Does this mean the IPOR bumper is now a 4x4labs clone? Or, they just changed the spindle/accessory design to accept 4x4labs parts/accessories? I am more interested in comparing the build/clearance of the base bumper itself.

I bought 2 bumpers from luke, one for a 77 fj40 and another for a 69 fj40. Did they take long yes, are they worth the wait yes. I plan on ordering from him again. He makes a great custom product.

I'm welding up my 100 series rear kit now, and I can attest to the quality as well. Having come from designing on the fly with my previous bumper, it is really nice to have everything fit together with just minor adjustments.

cruiserfien

Black Sheep Cruisers!!

If you want another option check out Avid Offroad's 80 series bumper set up. I ordered and just installed on my 80 series. Love it, great quality and a fantastic price point.

Top Bottom