4130 beef mod lower controle arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4130 beef mod lower controle arm cut and sleeved with 1.75 OD .188 wall 4130 chromoly 22.5" per arm.
lower b1.jpg
lower b2.jpg

Last edited:
I kept it to the stock spec.

I orderd 4ft (2 arms worth) 4130 1.75 OD .188 wall from Dillsburg aeroplane works 717-432-4589 for about $45 plus shipping

I don't understand why you did that, if it is the same as the original. ???

firetruck41 said:
I don't understand why you did that, if it is the same as the original. ???

He did it for stength. I've bent mine before. I spent $3 each and welded on some angle iron made of steel. They don't bend now. Pic:

I also wleded on a 3/8 steel plate to strengthen the mount.

Last edited:
Shotts,

Time for a welding class...

:)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
He did it for stength. I've bent mine before. I spent $3 each and welded on some angle iron made of steel. They don't bend now. Pic:

I also wleded on a 3/8 steel plate to strengthen the mount.
Now I understand, I didn't realize they were issues with them bending under use.

firetruck41 said:
Now I understand, I didn't realize they were issues with them bending under use.

Only when you land them on rocks, stumps, etc. :D

in addition to the controle arms i made this front bumper since for some people whats up front is what counts. I thought i would make my rig clear.
bump 1.jpg

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Who cares what's underneath? It's what's out front that counts. Amazing work on these bumpers. Front and back:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/adventurepartners/john80.html

I'm laughing....to the bank. Under $300 for both.

The sign of a crappy weld = a weak weld... You can plate it all ya want but if the weld doesn't hold because it didn't penetrate then what good is it?

There's a reason you only paid 3 bills for that work.

-Ammo

BRKLYN1 said:
in addition to the controle arms i made this front bumper since for some people whats up front is what counts. I thought i would make my rig clear.

Sorry if I made it feel like I was treading on your ground. I've seen your bumper before. It looks kind of like the one I built for my 85 4Runner.

BTW: You may want to get in touch with Mark at MetalTechCage (sponsor) as he is working on different arms and joints. If you guys put your heads together you may come up with something super kick ass with less headaches. Just a thought. :cheers:

AMMO said:
The sign of a crappy weld = a weak weld... You can plate it all ya want but if the weld doesn't hold because it didn't penetrate then what good is it?

There's a reason you only paid 3 bills for that work.

-Ammo

My thoughts exactly. I've only taken one welding class, but our instructor would've made us do work that looked like that over.

One trip to the press to prove a point about weak welds and I got the point.

Any gomer with a mig welder can gob on wire like that picture. A good weldor would have a nice weld with good penetration and, odds are, make it look decent too.

Charlie

You guys are hilarious. I have learned that complainers are usually jealous or unhappy with things on-subject. I've received so many positive comments on those bumpers you guys just make me laugh. ;p

I'm sure you guys could really find all kinds of faults with my 100? Man, I can imagine. Go ahead. I know what I got and that's all that matters. Knock yourselves out. Wanna trade straight up. :D

Hey John,

I'm not complaining. It's not my rig. Spend a few minutes reading about welding and ask some knowledgable weldors and they'll educate you about the value of crappy welds. You'll see where we're coming from.

Personally, I learned how to weld so I could work on my (now gone) rally car (SCCA Pro Rally) and also to restore a 911. The strength of a weld was my primary concern, especially with the rally car, since I had to trust my safety to the things I was welding.

A gobbed on weld like that does not have good penetration and has a lot of porosity. It may be fine for your application, but I wouldn't want a weld like that on my rig.

No thanks on the trade. I'm quite happy with my exisiting selection of vehicles.

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom