4130 beef mod lower controle arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL!

I do not think I would like to joust with you in the courtroom Simon..;)

cruiserdan said:
LOL!

I do not think I would like to joust with you in the courtroom Simon..;)

Another one of my Fan Club members. Semlin. That was pretty funny.

Oh and that thread...here's goes the last-itus.....fantasizing about what Toyota will put in a new truck is fine. That's your right. I was simply being objective. Pick another thread. How about a IFS vs SFA one? :D

semlin said:
a nice guy but, as he will shortly demonstrate, he has the most severe case of lastworditis I have ever seen on the internet (and, I predict, no sense of irony)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Oh and that thread...here's goes the last-itus.....fantasizing about what Toyota will put in a new truck is fine. That's your right. I was simply being objective. Pick another thread. How about a IFS vs SFA one? :D

I would like to enter this last post as exhibit "A" my lord, "example of Schotts attempting to start an argument about which thread best demonstrates his love of arguing." :D

You know, being a newbie to this forum, but having been a wheeler for over 40 years. (Yep, born in 57 and started wheeling in 61 with my dad.) I really appreciate all the different ideas that people post. And what I don't understand is the critics that will jump all over the welding technique of a certain post, while ignoring the good ideas that the person is trying to convey.

The end result is that people with good ideas will not want to post those photos because the welds are not professional, if they get a bunch of grief about the the execution of the ideas, rather than the quality of the idea/engineering.

I appreciate people posting the engineering ideas they come up with. I don't care about the quality of the welds, the weld is specific to the person doing the welding, the idea/engineering is not.

Hope that made sense,
Please continue to post pix, I appreciate all of them.

It has been a great flashback to high school. Semlin called last Shotts out perfectly, as he cast his Monty Python lure and reeled him in. now I see how and why"S100" has been branded (all in good fun of coarse). I will now search the forum for more entertaining banters. IFS no IFS I don’t care, I do wish I had that V-8 power though.

I am rubber and you are glue anything you say bounces off of me and sticks to you. and then Shotts will tell you to.

Not to get into the whole welding arguement, but my ugliest welds were the strongest. Just because its got a pretty bead dont mean its a perfect weld. I can crank the power all the way down and stack dimes on top of steel, but that doesnt mean it will hold.

Look at a weld and automatically tell its integrity, hope your an ex ray machine. And the "in my class my teacher would have made me do it again" statement is a joke. So you took one class and your an expert? I took three years of welding, got certified, and still think Im retarded compared to most the guys in the field. Back off, until youve beat the s*** out of it like he has you have no idea what it will and wont hold up to.

I still think 100's are gay, but holly crap.

By the way, thats a good lookin rig. Even though apparently its gay :D

jon, being a newby you also don't know the history. no newby would have received the response schotts did, and nor did schotts the first 2 dozen times or so, and nor would he now if he didn't argue so much and if folks didn't know he had a thick skin and a good heart and is not at all phased by these kind of confrontations. i agree it was a little strong but sometimes he comes on a little strong too. i would encourage anyone, including schotts, to carry on posting their mods. it was interesting. you'll just have to excuse us forum old farts when we occasionally cross swords.

semlin said:
I would like to enter this last post as exhibit "A" my lord, "example of Schotts attempting to start an argument about which thread best demonstrates his love of arguing." :D

LMAO!!

firetruck41 said:
Now I understand, I didn't realize they were issues with them bending under use.
I'll need to snap a pic of mine. I have a slight bend in both of mine.

alvarorb bent his up big time a couple years ago. I might have a pic of that one around somewhere...

yeah, they do bend when abused.

BRKLYN1 -- great job on the control arms. They look sweet.

As for Shotts, his 100, his 80, Moab, Amando's 100, the Rubicon, etc...

I can say that I've met Mr. Shotts and I wheeled with him and his 100 on Golden Spike (Moab). John, remember, I was right there on the trail while your puckered butt held you in your seat on several obstacles... Also remember the conversations we had regarding the true level of difficulty you'd taken your 100 on prior to that trail run.

As for Amando and his 100 on the Rubicon, I just came off that trail yesterday and must say that Amando has the biggest set of brass nards I've seen on anyone. He wheeled his rig with great finess through some wicked terrain. Having wheeled with him on several occasions, on some very nasty trails, I think I can say that I know where some of the limitations of the 100 series are as compared to an 80. To say that a 100 series can match 95% of an 80 series is absolute B.S. IFS has quite a few limitations on extreme trails. Run really tough trails in your 100 John and you'll know for yourself what these limitatiobns are.

One more thing John -- until you grow a set as large as Amando's...and wheel the Rubicon in your 80 (note that I didn't bother to mention bringing your 100), your "my 80 can do anything" statements fall on deaf ears. As far as I'm concerned, Amando's 100 has gone on trails that you'd never consider taking your 80 on.

Let me know if you're up to the challenge -- I'll save a spot for you on next year's 80s on the 'con trip. Don't sweat the grub -- we'll feed you good. Bring some extra tighty-whities...you'll need them.

There. Gauntlet thrown down. Bring it awn.

:D :D :D

One final note -- semlin, great analogy ;)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
1. There's a way to bring up the fact that one's opinion of the plate welds is that they might not hold.
2. There's a wrong way to bring that up too. Read the thread.
3. Those plate welds and arms have stood up to amazing abuse. In the 100 in Moab's Golden Spike I discovered we cut them too long and they hung up in places where they shouldn't. We banged them so badly climbing ledges the 3/8 bent over (where it was too long) but the WELDS held.
It's obvious the comments on this thread about his welds were dimeaning.

Oh, and you read AMMO's quote again.....the "that's why it was only $300 for that work". That's the bumper amount. That was the comment I was LMAO over.

Aww hell let's throw some gas on it... Since you could not understand why I made the comment I guess I will explain, though not sure why I feel the need to bother at this point. Since we have already trashed the weld and it hurt your feelings. Let me explain the 3 bills comment. There is no work in your bumpers... Everything is straight, no labor = 3 bills... Even as high as steal is $$$ you are paying for labor, and it doesn't look like any cad design went into those... Now... I'm not bashing that at all, so don't get all upset, but some other bumper have a lot more design, allot more labor, and are welded together so nice you don't even grind the weld.

-Ammo

Last edited:
ShottsUZJ100 said:
BTW...I thought I'd point out the reason the welds look like that:

In between the 3/8" plate and the arm mount, are smaller steel pieces that were used as shims so the plate would transfer equal force to the entire arm mount. If you look, the arm mounts are not "even". With this guy being a perferctionist, he shimmed it up rather than having the plate sit crooked against the mount. This will make sense when you see the pics and will explain why the plate sits out from the mount.

FYI: This is no excuse for the spatter your calling a good weld... You can "shim" all you want but the first step to any good weld is to grind, but looking at those welds and paint it looks to me like that was skipped. Now a number of other things could have contributed to this weld looking the way it does, crappy steal, i.e.: impurity’s, not enough gas, wire speed, bad wire, no wire?..Stick?... bad welder ECT. But hey, if you’re happy with them and they have served you right then that is all that counts.

-Ammo

My apologies to BRKLYN1 the arms look great.

All right Ammo, I'll bite... What is that pic of? Whatever it is, it's beautiful. I can't figure out what it's doing in front of or behind a tire, though. Looks like a limiting strap of some sort. Do tell.

-Spike

NorCalDoug said:
BRKLYN1 -- great job on the control arms. They look sweet.

As for Shotts, his 100, his 80, Moab, Amando's 100, the Rubicon, etc...

I can say that I've met Mr. Shotts and I wheeled with him and his 100 on Golden Spike (Moab). John, remember, I was right there on the trail while your puckered butt held you in your seat on several obstacles... Also remember the conversations we had regarding the true level of difficulty you'd taken your 100 on prior to that trail run.

As for Amando and his 100 on the Rubicon, I just came off that trail yesterday and must say that Amando has the biggest set of brass nards I've seen on anyone. He wheeled his rig with great finess through some wicked terrain. Having wheeled with him on several occasions, on some very nasty trails, I think I can say that I know where some of the limitations of the 100 series are as compared to an 80. To say that a 100 series can match 95% of an 80 series is absolute B.S. IFS has quite a few limitations on extreme trails. Run really tough trails in your 100 John and you'll know for yourself what these limitatiobns are.

One more thing John -- until you grow a set as large as Amando's...and wheel the Rubicon in your 80 (note that I didn't bother to mention bringing your 100), your "my 80 can do anything" statements fall on deaf ears. As far as I'm concerned, Amando's 100 has gone on trails that you'd never consider taking your 80 on.

Let me know if you're up to the challenge -- I'll save a spot for you on next year's 80s on the 'con trip. Don't sweat the grub -- we'll feed you good. Bring some extra tighty-whities...you'll need them.

There. Gauntlet thrown down. Bring it awn.

:D :D :D

One final note -- semlin, great analogy ;)

I'll respond to you Doug because I know ya. :)

Why do you think that I, you , or anybody needs to prove anything on the trail? Bringing a $75,000 investment on a trail like the Rubicon seems very foolish when a $15K 1993 is sitting the garage. :confused:
Now, a month ago when I was bidding on a second 100, a 100 that was going to be built for hardcore (frame cutting, bumper fab'ing, etc), sure, I'd luv the challenge of bringing that on the Rubi and would in a heartbeat.
It isn't about "nards" Doug. It's using the brains the good Lord gave me. Moab showed ME (don't care about others) all I need to know about a 100 and I'm done with the wild stuff unless I buy another 100. I'm thrilled Amando and others are out there with theirs running other difficult runs. Keep up the good work guys!

Oh, not sure I understand your "80 will do anything" comment? I have a beater 80. No leather, a measly lift, it's a heap compared to everyone elses in our AZ Clubs. OK, I have great app and dept angles so I can do some things some with ARB/Slee and all that stuff can't...but so what/? We might look for a nice 80 and give mine to the kids to share. Don't understand your comment?

AMMO said:
Aww hell let's throw some gas on it... Since you could not understand why I made the comment I guess I will explain, though not sure why I feel the need to bother at this point. Since we have already trashed the weld and it hurt your feelings. Let me explain the 3 bills comment. There is no work in your bumpers... Everything is straight, no labor = 3 bills... Even as high as steal is $$$ you are paying for labor, and it doesn't look like any cad design went into those... Now... I'm not bashing that at all, so don't get all upset, but some other bumper have a lot more design, allot more labor, and are welded together so nice you don't even grind the weld.

-Ammo

So I take it that you know of fab shops that will cut the frames, supply the steel, relocate the recovery points, cut and weld then install both those bumpers for under $300 including labor and painting? Did I get ripped off? The welds look really smooth don't they?

Last edited:
ShottsUZJ100 said:
The welds look really smooth don't they?

A pic of good weld on your truck might be helpful in your argument... and a pic where one could see the work that went into the black mass of a bumper in that pic.

As far as did you get ripped off, I would say no. You got the deal of the century. But then again cutting the frame, doesn't take computer aided design, drilling new holes to mount the tow loops, takes about 15 mins, welding together a box and calling it a bumper... well that can vary in time and effort. All and all for 3 bills you got a deal on the project, and I’m sure it works for you.

-Ammo

AMMO said:
A pic of good weld on your truck might be helpful in your argument... and a pic where one could see the work that went into the black mass of a bumper in that pic.

As far as did you get ripped off, I would say no. You got the deal of the century. But then again cutting the frame, doesn't take computer aided design, drilling new holes to mount the tow loops, takes about 15 mins, welding together a box and calling it a bumper... well that can vary in time and effort. All and all for 3 bills you got a deal on the project, and I’m sure it works for you.

-Ammo

Gotcha. Yes, they work, though they're kinda ugly. Well, the rear bumper's not too bad. :frown:

nothing to add but had to post so that S100 was not last.

back to the topic at hand...

did you add a little length to the rear control arms to accommodate the lift you installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom