4130 beef mod lower controle arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalDoug said:
...Also remember the conversations we had regarding the true level of difficulty you'd taken your 100 on prior to that trail run.

As for Amando and his 100 on the Rubicon, I just came off that trail yesterday and must say that Amando has the biggest set of brass nards I've seen on anyone. He wheeled his rig with great finess through some wicked terrain. Having wheeled with him on several occasions, on some very nasty trails, I think I can say that I know where some of the limitations of the 100 series are as compared to an 80. To say that a 100 series can match 95% of an 80 series is absolute B.S. IFS has quite a few limitations on extreme trails.

Hey Shotts- curious as to why you ignored NorcalDoug's comments above. Specifically, the part about the 100 series matching 95% of what an 80 series can do offroad being BS based on NorcalDoug's observations of your and Amando's 100s vs. 80s on the trail.

LR_RESQ said:
BTW: You may want to get in touch with Mark at MetalTechCage (sponsor) as he is working on different arms and joints. If you guys put your heads together you may come up with something super kick ass with less headaches. Just a thought. :cheers:

WOULD YOU QUIT IT!! If you keep fueling this fire, we'll never get sliders and rear bumpers. ;)
Don't want to hijack... Chad ~ PM me with details about the trip this weekend.

alaskacruiser said:
Hey Shotts- curious as to why you ignored NorcalDoug's comments above. Specifically, the part about the 100 series matching 95% of what an 80 series can do offroad being BS

Well this is Shotts 100 don't forget. I think you missed the thread where Shotts talked about the jet-packs he had stapled onto his rig for $5.

alaskacruiser said:
Hey Shotts- curious as to why you ignored NorcalDoug's comments above. Specifically, the part about the 100 series matching 95% of what an 80 series can do offroad being BS based on NorcalDoug's observations of your and Amando's 100s vs. 80s on the trail.

It's a miracle! Looks like we may have collectively cured Shott's last-word-itis! Shotts- you there, buddy? ;)

:cheers:

alaskacruiser said:
It's a miracle! Looks like we may have collectively cured Shott's last-word-itis! Shotts- you there, buddy? ;)

:cheers:

IFS RULES
100's are best
Ford Exporers ride smoother than Cruisers
Subaru Outback eats an 80 off-road

Oh, and.....I've got another 80 in my sites......a '97 with really low miles and a '97 with about 90K miles. I want to give my '93 beater model to my kids and get a nice one to wheel in. I'm negotiating on these NOW!

How much would you pay for a like new '97 w'60K but W/O lockers. If I get it, I'll go 6" lift, 37's, and regear. Regaring expense will lessen the cost of ARB lockers. How mucho???

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Oh, and.....I've got another 80 in my sites......a '97 with really low miles and a '97 with about 90K miles. I want to give my '93 beater model to my kids and get a nice one to wheel in. I'm negotiating on these NOW!

How much would you pay for a like new '97 w'60K but W/O lockers. If I get it, I'll go 6" lift, 37's, and regear. Regaring expense will lessen the cost of ARB lockers. How mucho???

Oh, I can just see it now...
Shotts in the future said:
ARB lockers are better than OEM :flipoff2:

Yeah, I'd wheel my 80 hard, but it's a 97 and for what I have invested in it, I don't want to abuse it...:crybaby:

You should see how I used to wheel my '93. I wouldn't abuse my 97 that way though.

If the kids would let me have the 93 back, I'd take it on the Rubicon or to Tellico or to Paragon...but I'm not going to do that in my 97 :flipoff2:

:rolleyes:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Yes, thanks for the advice on price. :D
Exercise your SEARCH skills.

input ARB and diffs as keywords; posts by Biff; search the 80 tech forum.

NorCalDoug said:
Exercise your SEARCH skills.

input ARB and diffs as keywords; posts by Biff; search the 80 tech forum.

No no....how much would you pay for that 80?

xlent shape
60K miles
no lockers

$14K?

I got my 96 mint inside and out with 101k for 10.9k w lockers in august 04'

BRKLYN1 said:
I got my 96 mint inside and out with 101k for 10.9k w lockers in august 04'

THAT'S WHERE I'M STUCK!

There's all kinds of 80's out there with 100K and lockers.
There's very few with only 60K.

I'm stuck as to how important those 40K less miles are?????

ShottsUZJ100 said:
THAT'S WHERE I'M STUCK!

There's all kinds of 80's out there with 100K and lockers.
There's very few with only 60K.

I'm stuck as to how important those 40K less miles are?????
To me those 40k miles are worth about $500-1000, IOW not much, if your keeping it long term, those miles are insignificant.

My locked 96 LX w/112k for $12k was a good deal, I wouldn't pay $1k more for an identical one with half the miles. And I wouldn't even buy one for the same price and half the miles, if it didn't have lockers.

firetruck41 said:
To me those 40k miles are worth about $500-1000, IOW not much, if your keeping it long term, those miles are insignificant.

My locked 96 LX w/112k for $12k was a good deal, I wouldn't pay $1k more for an identical one with half the miles. And I wouldn't even buy one for the same price and half the miles, if it didn't have lockers.

Hmmm, ya, I guess I should move on to another 80. I think you're right. My 100 has 100K and is like new. Certainly no worse off than when it had 60K. I can't tell.
Yep, I'll pass on these two.
Thanks!

I think that someone is trying to change the subject.

It seem to me that low miles won,t get you down the trail as well as lockers. that said no lockers would = no deal, You would be handicaped on the trail without them, it would be like having a 100 :doh:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
IFS RULES
100's are best
Ford Exporers ride smoother than Cruisers
Subaru Outback eats an 80 off-road

You REALLY should buy another 100, not 80 :cheers:

BRKLYN1 said:
It seem to me that low miles won,t get you down the trail as well as lockers. that said no lockers would = no deal, You would be handicaped on the trail without them, it would be like having a 100 :doh:

Ya, but I'd add ARB's when I slapped in 4.88's.

Sacriledge, I know, but I think it'd be better to get a low mileage rig without lockers and pony up for ARB's than a high mileage one with lockers, given that both vehicles' histories are largely unkown.

Sure, these are Toyotas, so mileage shouldn't matter that much. But more mileage opens up more room for previous owners to do stupid things, and buying a high mileage unit just because it has lockers can open the door to reliability issues down the road, some when you can least afford them to happen.

Your 130K mile rig with lockers can blow a head gasket within 10K because the PO never flushed the coolant, can blow a birf because they never changed the axle seals, etc. Each of these fixes would cost more than lockers, and each would leave you stranded on the side of a road, trail, etc.

Buying a Cruiser with only 60K is still soon enough for the first round of maintenance on it. Start with a good foundation, add lockers.

medtro said:
You REALLY should buy another 100, not 80 :cheers:

Bid on two 100's last month. Had one lined up ready-to-go then re-decided to not spend the 25K. Now we're lookin' for a car for the kids...GIVE THEM MY 80 was the decision. So, I need a trail rig. I finally will get a nice one. Mine was cloth, plain-jane, non-adjustable seats. I need the power seat so I can raise it.

END THREAD HI-JACK! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom