Builds 400HP Turbo 80 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! I am glad the valve train setup worked well with the different height springs and stock buckets!

Oh and ironically I reached out to Ferrea to ask why your stock sized valves had such a nice undercut on the stems but my +3mm valves didn’t and they told me the bigger valves already flow more so no need to undercut them.... ummm I think it was a total BS answer and that you got a sweet setup with the undercut valves! Lol

Yes I did

Last edited:
Cometic showed up today so I made good progress with assembly. Looks like I might be dropping it back in the truck this weekend depending on weather.

@scottryana knowing that I am going with the bolt on turbo kit in the NEAR future I hope lol...I was thinking 3" exhaust bent over the frame and a Flowmaster 60 series muffler or similar to keep it somewhat quiet. With the target HP I was thinking this should be free flowing enough but wasn't sure if it would cause an issue with the turbo spooling too quick like you mentioned in the bolt on thread.

IMG_3814.JPG

If you are going with a stand alone computer you can spool the turbo as fast as you want! ;)

Cometic showed up today so I made good progress with assembly. Looks like I might be dropping it back in the truck this weekend depending on weather.

@scottryana knowing that I am going with the bolt on turbo kit in the NEAR future I hope lol...I was thinking 3" exhaust bent over the frame and a Flowmaster 60 series muffler or similar to keep it somewhat quiet. With the target HP I was thinking this should be free flowing enough but wasn't sure if it would cause an issue with the turbo spooling too quick like you mentioned in the bolt on thread.

View attachment 1562718

If you are going with a stand alone computer you can spool the turbo as fast as you want! ;)
Yeah that's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. Thx

So the block and head came back from the machine shop. Had a good time assembling the pistons and rods though the JE piston pin clips were a pain until I figured out a technique using a pick to work them in. I decided to use a catalytic single stage paint for the block, head and valve cover. Standard black and Toyota Barcelona Red for the valve cover to give it the TRD look.

Waiting for my Cometic head gasket to show up tomorrow. I went with .066 thick.
Also cleaned up the intake, bottom cover and other aluminum parts using Alumibrite and was impressed how well it brightened up. Hopefully will have the motor back in the truck next week.

View attachment 1562003

View attachment 1562004

View attachment 1562005
:cry: It's beautiful

Did you have a chance to get any farther on your truck? Engine looks great.

Also, did you wind up with the Haltech elite 750? I think that is my pick for management (when I finally get this rolling) except it does not support knock sensors/control. I have read differing opinions on the need anyway but still not sure. I kind of feel that if the tune is right it should be a non issue.

Did you have a chance to get any farther on your truck? Engine looks great.

Also, did you wind up with the Haltech elite 750? I think that is my pick for management (when I finally get this rolling) except it does not support knock sensors/control. I have read differing opinions on the need anyway but still not sure. I kind of feel that if the tune is right it should be a non issue.
Yes I have just haven't taken the time to post up. The engine is back in and running great. Did the break in and just switched it over to Amsoil.
I did go with the Haltech elite 750 but haven't gotten it installed yet but hoping to soon.
I did install a 3" mandrel bent exhaust over the frame with a magnaflow muffler. I still need to remove the one cat because they wouldn't install the exhaust without having at least one cat...federal law I guess.
I deleted the EGR and so far nothing but one engine code for the missing rear O2 sensor.
I also installed a hot water plate heat exchanger for a shower as well as built a dual compartment aluminum tank. 12gal water and 8 gal diesel for a Airtronik cab heater for a semi truck cab which works great. I ran it two nights in the upper 30's and it only used 1/2 gallon diesel.
Now just need the turbo kit!

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

Nice! I will have to check out that heater. I want to do the shower set up too. There is a pretty easy mod for that rear 02 sensor to get that cel gone too.

Keep your cat. My wife makes me hang back a 1/4 mile or change lanes whenever I'm behind a stinky vehicle. One high-flow cat isn't going to rob you of much power.

Keep your cat. My wife makes me hang back a 1/4 mile or change lanes whenever I'm behind a stinky vehicle. One high-flow cat isn't going to rob you of much power.
Yeah I was thinking I may leave the cat for now as I would like to see Dyno results and then remove it and see the difference in power that is why I have it flanged on both sides for easy removal. I looked through the other cat that is removed and it seems to have a fair amount of screen obstructing the airflow so I am curious.

Good work. You are missing:

11291-66010
12180-13010

Otherwise, tits all the way!
Yes agreed I need to do a couple finishing touches like those. Willing to buy if your still selling them!

Truck sounds great when you fired it up! Great job
Thanks man, hearing and seeing your LX is what started me down this road of madness! :D

Also forgot to mention I installed the part time kit from cruiser outfitters as well as rebuilt the T case with all new OEM parts which made a world of difference. No more driveline vibrations!

Also forgot to mention I installed the part time kit from cruiser outfitters as well as rebuilt the T case with all new OEM parts which made a world of difference. No more driveline vibrations!

How do you like the PT kit during normal driving conditions? Feel any sportier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom