40 Stalling when trying to start. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ40 Stalling
I have a 1975 40, The problem is that it is stalling while I drive and it will start when the key is all the way forward and the starter is engaged, as soon as i let go of the key and let it return to run, it stalls. See video above in the link above. Thanks.

Yes Finally,
After replacing the ignition and making sure all the grounds were grounded properly, I finally checked the ballast resistor. I replaced it and it fires up like a champ. Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Last edited:
FJ40 Stalling
I have a 1975 40, The problem is that it is stalling while I drive and it will start when the key is all the way forward and the starter is engaged, as soon as i let go of the key and let it return to run, it stalls. See video above in the link above. Thanks.
The two main issues I’m seeing are:

You’re calling it an “FJ”.
You’re holding the key weirdly.

I can’t think of any reason that’s not an electrical problem. It’s a strange one, but something is funky down the line. How are your points looking?
Have you gone over all of your grounds?

fuses good?
sounds like you are not getting power to the ignition ciruit in the run position
does 1975 use a ballast resistor? maybe that is bad

First, see above.

Second, frozen points, idle speed or mixture set incorrectly, coil wiring F'ed up, etc.
Yes Finally,
After replacing the ignition and making sure all the grounds were grounded properly, I finally checked the ballast resistor. I replaced it and it fires up like a champ. Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom