Can’t get 40 to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, mudders!

Need your guys’ help. Let me preface this thread by saying the 40 started just fine when I drove it into the garage 4 years ago. I took it all the way down to frame, sand blasted and went through it (except did not touch t case, or further into block than valve cover and side cover gaskets. Nothing leaked so did not feel the need. 90k miles) and have been putting it back together and went to start today.

Specs: 1978 FJ40. For the most part all original, but in the process of desmog and have HEI distributor and aftermarket header with blocked EGR. Carb is also rebuilt. In going through threads this is what I’ve done as far as desmog and attempting to get it started. In no particular order-

-Disconnected CTS.
-Top of HIC to air vent by #8 on carb.
-Bottom of HIC to port on right at carb base.
-Advancer port to HEI dissy.
-Choke breaker to throttle positioner.
-Plugged vacuum port on left side of intake.
-Plugged EGR off side of carb.
-Power brake booster to right side of intake.
-PCV to side of intake.
-Carb evap port to charcoal canister.
-Idle set screw all the way in and then off a half turn. I believe that’s the screw next to the 3 vacuum hoses is called.
-the insulator plate between carb and intake has 2 little vents that I tied into one another.
-set timing at TDC with #1 on dissy right at #4 spark plug.

I’m getting fuel and have a couple pictures and video showing setup and what it’s doing. I’m going to be going with an Weber carb and TBI in the near future so I’m wondering if I should jump to that right now to help? All help is welcomed and open to anything!

IMG_9761.jpeg

IMG_9759.jpeg

IMG_9758.jpeg

IMG_9757.jpeg

Howdy, mudders!

Need your guys’ help. Let me preface this thread by saying the 40 started just fine when I drove it into the garage 4 years ago. I took it all the way down to frame, sand blasted and went through it (except did not touch t case, or further into block than valve cover and side cover gaskets. Nothing leaked so did not feel the need. 90k miles) and have been putting it back together and went to start today.

Specs: 1978 FJ40. For the most part all original, but in the process of desmog and have HEI distributor and aftermarket header with blocked EGR. Carb is also rebuilt. In going through threads this is what I’ve done as far as desmog and attempting to get it started. In no particular order-

-Disconnected CTS.
-PCV to side of intake.
-Idle set screw all the way in and then off a half turn. I believe that’s the screw next to the 3 vacuum hoses is called.
-the insulator plate between carb and intake has 2 little vents that I tied into one another.

I’m getting fuel and have a couple pictures and video showing setup and what it’s doing. I’m going to be going with an Weber carb and TBI in the near future so I’m wondering if I should jump to that right now to help? All help is welcomed and open to anything!

View attachment 3473209

View attachment 3473210

View attachment 3473211

View attachment 3473213
Howdy, mudders!

-Disconnected CTS.
-PCV to side of intake.

View attachment 3473209

View attachment 3473210

View attachment 3473211

View attachment 3473213
well I have a video, but it’s not letting me post.

Any time the distributor is removed and replaced, there is a chance that it is put back in 180 degrees off. If everything else looks correct I would double check the distributor.
That’s exactly what it was. Thank you! Must have a float stuck open in the carb because it’s leaking fuel like a sieve, but she’s running!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom