40 series steering wheel options (82'-BJ42)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I want a smaller/sports steering wheel.
I have tried searches, and though I am sure this has all been said before- sorry... what are the options, the specifications of what to look for, new and/or second hand?

Specifically, I would like a wood/timber steering wheel.
I see a fair few Italian ones on ebay coming out of Japan.
I like the simpler ones...
for example
this is the one in my van, can't remember the brand, made in italy... had a different sized spline than the previous leather covered identical sized sports wheel that I had on it- but luckily the hole pattern on the wheel was the same, so I just swapped it onto the original female spline thingy :)hhmm:) by undoing the six hex head bolts.
IMGP2489.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

that was a cheap score at $5 from a trash'n'treasure market.
My current stock wheel is in great condition- it's just too big for me-
IMGP2539.jpg

I've gone from strong-arming a 74' transit with no power steering and a sports wheel- to the BJ with its bus-sized wheel and power steer... just doesn't feel right to me, nor to how I like to drive.

Thanks for any advice,
:steer:

oh yeah... I do sorta like timber in a car...
will be going with the red one of these shifter knobs I made (for now), and have the crazy (sick) idea of making a solid timber dash pad....
each to their own (sorry for anyone who just spewed a little bit into their mouths:hillbilly:)
IMGP2848.jpg
IMGP2845.jpg

I believe almost any steering wheel will work, i put a grant in my 40, they sell adapter kits for them. any auto parts store should have a book that shows what adapter kit for the wheel you want.

GL :beer:

I wont sware to it, but the 60 series wheel may be smaller diameter

Autotecnica here do a wood version of my sports wheel, have to say it looked awful. They do a boss for the conversion all pretty easy from Repco or Auto Barn.
A steering wheel in wood off road with wet/muddy hand is real dangerous in my opinion. Go leather.
Oh and yes smaller wheel harder to turn if you don't have power steering. still harder with power steering but less noticable.

My2c

Thanks guys- so if it shouldn't be any huge problem adapting any old wheel I like... cool.

Good point Matt-
I'll bear that in mind.
For me- I think in my leisurely wheeling I should have a bit more time to wipe off the hands (and feet:grinpimp:) before I roar off again than you would in competition... but I do love the feel of a leather wheel...
It'll probably come down to what I find and like.

And seriously, you should try doing a three pointer in my van... its probably my best regular cardiovascular work out... and I love it.
I like to use a bit of muscle steering- either that or be able to spin a small wheel under power off the palm of your hand. At present it just feels wrong- big and powered...

The main thing I don't like currently is turning out of corners- in mine after turning a tight corner, and accelarating out, if you let the wheel go- it doesn't seem to want to turn itself out at all (don't know if this is a 40 thing, or just my tyre or otherwise thing). Just seems to want to hold that same degree of turn you were in- meaning you have to do a lot of big hand over hand turns...

anyway,
thanks guys.

Thanks for the link Coolerman-
that was great to see.

As mine is a different dash system- and doesn't have the standard black dash pad- I would making something to fit in this top standard position.
I am hoping to find an old had-it cracked up POS one I can use as a template- and then start carving one out.
I doubt I would try to duplicate the exact shape- but I would like to use the template to work out the fitting side.
Its going to be a long term day off- stress relief sort of project.
I do like a bit of woodwork.
DSC00244.JPG

...The main thing I don't like currently is turning out of corners- in mine after turning a tight corner, and accelarating out, if you let the wheel go- it doesn't seem to want to turn itself out at all (don't know if this is a 40 thing, or just my tyre or otherwise thing). Just seems to want to hold that same degree of turn you were in- meaning you have to do a lot of big hand over hand turns...

It sounds like you might need some caster shims up front.

Mine came with no power steering & Wooden Sports steering wheel which I intended to replace. It was bloody hard work off road with 34" Simex's on I can tell you. Since I put the power steering on, the combination works really well & feels good.And muddy hands tend tend to make it more grippy not slippery, so I'm sticking with mine. Autotechnica has good range of wheels & the bos to suit - the Importers in Thomastown are pretty cheap (03) 9464 2200Cheers
75b5_12.jpg

3Doghouse- I'll look into that,

diso- that would be great, thanks, PM on its way.

vk7ybi- I haven't quite figured that out yet. Might keep it, might (and probably will) pass it on- are you interested in it?

Matty Awful- good to know- I don't mind that wheel at all. Looks good in your truck. I am undecided about leather or wood grain as yet- there are a few nice Momo and Nardi wheels going on ebay regularly- I may grab one of them, otherwise I'll go check out autotechnica.

Thanks all,
and feel free to keep the photo's coming of the different steering wheels you've put on:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom