Stock 40 Series Suspension - How low can you go? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
Title edited ......

Most people want a nice tall lift but for me, I want about 1-2” max.

Anyone that has dealt with lift springs, a 2.5” Lift can raise a 40 6” if you put “heavy” packs on an unloaded truck.

For me, I really like the way my FJ40 looks, drives and steers with the original flat springs with the top off but when the top goes back on it sits about 1.5” too low in the back.

Cheap option 1 : longer rear shackles
$400 option 2 : Boss Airbags
$1000 option 3 : lightest OME packs and start removing leafs

I was about to pull the trigger in #2 last night because I really like the bags in my FJ60 and it’s easiest.

So, my question. Has anyone installed 40 series OME with removed leafs to lower it?

Have you ever run OME packs with stock length shackles

I’ve got Bilsteins that I like in it now. Not sure if they would take much lift though.

Pics for height. Tires are 235/85-16 that measure out about 32/9.50

6F975138-C00E-4DF7-B7F4-2385342A23D5.jpeg

B685F1C2-CFE7-41B2-9435-CFF160C66537.jpeg

B1EAC016-32DB-4118-9AAD-155E6586E0E1.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve gone that route before and have never had any luck getting them right

That is unfortunate. Sounds like the bags would allow you to fine tune your ride height exactly where you want it without having to trial and error with removing leaves. How much weight does the 4 plus carrier add?

That is unfortunate. Sounds like the bags would allow you to fine tune your ride height exactly where you want it without having to trial and error with removing leaves. How much weight does the 4 plus carrier add?

It was probably only 30# more than the stock swingout.

With the 29” tires and the hard top with no gear it sits pretty low.

I was sold on the bag idea but now I’m thinking that’s a bad idea with 50 year old springs under this truck.

I want to use it for some longer / loaded trips

330BDF2E-B851-442C-8562-C3A0C4DD7822.jpeg

Taking a leaf out isn’t going to effect the ride height UNTIL you put the top on, which is when you don’t want it to.

I moved the rear shackle hangers forward on Ruftoys to lower the Alcans I got from @Cruiserdrew until i got the ride stance I wanted. Bonus: better shackle angle.

Taking a leaf out isn’t going to effect the ride height UNTIL you put the top on, which is when you don’t want it to.

I moved the rear shackle hangers forward on Ruftoys to lower the Alcans I got from @Cruiserdrew until i got the ride stance I wanted. Bonus: better shackle angle.

Do the 40 packs have overload leafs?

adding a full length add-a-leaf to the rear fixed the ~1.5" sag I had in the rear of my rig and did not change the ride quality much that I noticed. My rig is SOA though.

Buy some used clapped out OMEs

I'm not sure why you think airbags would be bad with old leafs? The bags sound perfect to me, there when you need them for a little boost, deflated when you don't need them...

I'm not sure why you think airbags would be bad with old leafs? The bags sound perfect to me, there when you need them for a little boost, deflated when you don't need them...

I agree. Leaning back that way.

$400? Where you getting such a good deal?

I had the original springs and shackles from 1969 on mine. A few years ago I went with DAKAR, OME, and got the lightest set and I purchased grease able shackles just like the originals , except now a zerk fitting.
It lifted me from sagging beyond belief to a normal height. I know the max it lifted was 2 inches. Perhaps a bit less.

No leafs were removed. It is now similar to original height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom