40 series general tech and classifieds (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BE6037E4-1639-482E-877D-2C87318F937A.jpeg
8FF73517-5ACA-4F7B-8DAC-AF583E9AD7D1.jpeg

I’ve got them but they aren’t perfect. You are welcome to them but there is no way I’ll have time to pull them off before we leave for Rubithon in four days. You can pull them while I’m gone or wait till I get back if you can’t find any others. ;)

@Bossman thanks for the offer, I found my original ones deep in the parts stash.

@wngrog the 40 had a welded front bumper on it but I cut it off to put a HFS winch bumper on. Hfs bumper uses factory frame extensions.

7557303C-71FF-49B1-99DE-B0745D36CBBD.jpeg
This rusted out 77 could be yours for $10,000. I doubt much would be left if you sandblasted it.

SHUSH’s old truck, now living in Wyoming, before and after. All new sheet metal. Only body panels that weren’t fubar’d were the hood and firewall.

That is a big ass antler under that fender...

Anyone have a decent spare 40 hood. I got a call from the body shop that fixed Jace's 100. Someone local is restoring a 40 and needs a hood. Hopefully a future CLC member.

What is the "correct" way to seal up a RuffStuff rear diff cover?

A couple of years ago I used an OEM cork gasket with Permatex ultra black on both sides. Tightened the bolts just past finger tight and let it set overnight. Tightened a couple more turns then filled with 90 wt. I thought I had the formula right because no drips until recently. Checked it to find the bolts loose and the diff essentially empty. Drained what was left tightened the bolts and refilled. Still dripping...

Anyone make a rubber gasket? Was I supposed to use thread locker on the bolts? How tight?

Usually, with permatex, you want to wait only a couple of minutes, before tightening everything down. Waiting overnight is probably what caused you trouble. Just my $0.02.

@Bodean what shocks you got on the purty truck? The huge yellow skyjacker sticker on the tuffy has given me a good idea of what springs it has, but I have tracked a clanking up front to the passenger side shock and its non-existent bushings. So gonna just replace all 4 corners. '78 sprung under with what I believe are 4" skyjacker springs.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

@Bodean what shocks you got on the purty truck? The huge yellow skyjacker sticker on the tuffy has given me a good idea of what springs it has, but I have tracked a clanking up front to the passenger side shock and its non-existent bushings. So gonna just replace all 4 corners. '78 sprung under with what I believe are 4" skyjacker springs.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Bodeans shocks are probably 20 years old.

If I was you I would take them off. Go flex out your truck by driving 45* into a ditch. This will make your tires on opposite corners hang in the air while the truck is level

Measure your stuffed sides and your stretched out sides.

Go to Bilstein website. Get some 5100 series shocks.

Bodeans shocks are probably 20 years old.

If I was you I would take them off. Go flex out your truck by driving 45* into a ditch. This will make your tires on opposite corners hang in the air while the truck is level

Measure your stuffed sides and your stretched out sides.

Go to Bilstein website. Get some 5100 series shocks.

Have had Bilstein 5100's for about 3 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom