40 series general tech and classifieds (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not me. Sorry.

In search of an early pickup power steering gearbox for Davis’s 40. Waited too late for West Texas to rebuild before the ramble. Anyone sitting on one they can spare?

Oh man. @ntsaint just went through hell with that. Save yourself. Do a Saginaw kit.

I still have rod ends and some other misc things to get swapped, but I took a huge swing at my death wobble pinata today.

Before/after
0526181649.jpg

0526181825.jpg

Took it out for a spin and got up to and slightly over 40 with not even a hint of wobble. Still think I can tighten it up even more, but knowing we can Sunday drive in it now is a good feeling.

Now gotta get those front fenders replaced and get that cage in.

Have a question about springs. So I know it is a 40 and it will ride like a 40, but the lift springs on it now sure dont move much. Wondering if a new set of springs might improve the ride. Still sprung under and probably keep it that way for the foreseeable future. Thoughts?

Likely yes. The more arch the worse the ride. Most 4” springs suck ass. The only ones that ride OK are Hell for Stout. CCOT

With the cutouts you have you should do 2.5” springs. 35’s fit good that way.

The only good riding 4" springs I've ever seen were Skyjacker Softrides. I have those on mine and they ride good. Not sure if they even make them anymore?? The HFS's we put on several rigs were ok as well. Shackle angle has something to do with it as well.

Is there a way to gain access to the captive hinge bolts on the doors? I was trying to take the doors off my 40 and all way going great until the last two bolts. One of the nuts broke free and dropped into the door, the other bolt is frozen so hard I broke an Allen wrench trying to get it free.
7055FDA3-0AED-4C69-843A-C020331A11FD.jpeg

Sure. Window crank. Or rivnut that

Most take doors off with the pins. I chose not to due to the rust, err, Patina on mine.

That is why I run the carnival straps.
My pins were pretty darn tight. After running into the issue with the screws I pounded the pins out

Get a brass drift, wire brush or wire wheel the pins, and lube them when you reinstall. They need to be tight but should not be an ordeal to remove.

Lemmie see what the ones on the pile look like and report back.

Really random, but does anyone know of a decent rattle can match to the toyota 653 Olive color? If I swap the fenders and hood from the pile over, I think I'd like to spray bomb it a more appropriate color.

Thanks

Really random, but does anyone know of a decent rattle can match to the toyota 653 Olive color? If I swap the fenders and hood from the pile over, I think I'd like to spray bomb it a more appropriate color.

Thanks
Get a couple of spray cans loaded. Most parts stores that sell paint and supplies can get paint mixed by code and loaded into spray cans for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom