40 series 5 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@tstepp920

The threaded plug indicated by the arrow is only to allow access to a spring pin. This area is the highest frontal part of a factory top cover and almost always causes clearance issues.....On any further covers I produce, this area will be redesigned to be the same height as the top selector tunnel, giving an additional 10mm clearance.
40 series 5 speed mod.JPG

Last edited:
The raised middle section appears to come pretty close as well. You probably need some tolerance to account for the transmission flexing during operation.

Agree, the hump for the top selector rod can also cause issues.....Body / chassis mount rubbers need to be in good condition, worn out / compressed 40 year old rubbers will only add to the clearance issues.

Last edited:
All mounts and rubbers will be new in my instance. I was hoping to install the engine transmission without the constant set the tub, check clearances, remove the tub, make adjustments, set the tub, remove the tub hassle

what are some of the possible consequences if a 1" body lift were to be installed? Would this eliminate the clearance issues between the access cover and the 40 series H55F top

Steering column not going through the firewall hole? Metal brake lines need to be lengthened?

Don't forget carburetor linkage. The SA 40 Im working on has a 1" body lift, and I'm still considering the best option for sorting out the hack that the PO did on the linkage.

Pardon my ignorance and I know there have been a lot of discussions about which years make a difference. I've got a '69 with a '77 transmission and engine, so where does that put me? An H55F is definitely in my future, so this is very interesting. Thanks in advance.

ardon my ignorance and I know there have been a lot of discussions about which years make a difference. I've got a '69 with a '77 transmission and engine, so where does that put me? An H55F is definitely in my future, so this is very interesting. Thanks in advance.

In pre 1979 you shouldn't have any clearance issues with the floor. ...A lot depends on your choice of shifters, park brake, etc. I would set aside your original trans cover / hump and find a spare that you can modify if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom