4 door Rubicon vs. 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would go with the Jeep ........ Every accountant, lawyer, teenage girl and middle aged house wife can't be wrong.

I'd say a Rubicon has an advantage over an 80 series back to front.

More power, better mpg, better stock offroad, more after market support, 4.1 T-case (not even possible for an 80 without major work)

For all the crap we give Jeeps, they got it right with the rubicon unlimited. Great for overlanding but at the same time great in the rough stuff.

It is what I wish the FJ Cruiser should have been.

Oh and a diesel version soon enough.

But then you compare the price of the 80 vs a new unlimited rubicon and you see where the fact that it is 30 year old tech shines through.

apples to apples you could build one hell of an 80 for the price of a stock new or even used rubicon

and as they say money talks

I think you are very misinformed.

G-Wagens are lighter duty than 80-Series Land Cruisers in every way...frame, axles, drivetrain. The supensions are roughly equal. The only comparable version would be the G-Class military vehicles that are not available to the public. The general consensus is that a civilian G-Wagen can't handle 35" tires.

My 80 doesn't have any computers either...just like most diesel 4x4's of the era.

Do they not have ABS Brake Modulators with Semiconductors and ECMs with semiconductors? How often do you hear of an ECM going out? Sometimes computers aren't all bad.

as long as the jeep has the "patriotic button", which when pressed, plays the star spangled banner... it wins. opinions are a funny thing. cruiser4life.

image.jpg
as long as the jeep has the "patriotic button", which when pressed, plays the star spangled banner... it wins. opinions are a funny thing. cruiser4life.
I assume you are referring to this button......

So my tech question is would a stock 80 off-road better than a stock 4 door Rubicon? In what situations could the Rubicon outperform the 80?

Why don't you answer this question for yourself by going out with them on a trail?
Without considering cost, fuel economy, reliability, driver's skill or any other concerns, I'd take the Rubicon any day.

image.jpg
He meant the French patriotic button.

Probably some of the reason jeeps are slowly getting better with quality just like jag and land rovers are getting better now their colonial subjects owns it.
View attachment 938582

Perhaps they still have a ways to go.

This is a fun conversation but people need to realize, and most do, that they are DIFFERENT vehicles made for different purposes and different markets. The jeep was designed to go anywhere, the toy designed to go everywhere. The jeep will out wheel the 80, period. The 80 is the choice if you are overlanding, especially in the third world. The jeep is not made to the same standard as the 80, they rattle and break. 80s, 100s and 200s are made not to. Ride in both, use both, and you will see both have strong and weak points. It is how YOU use the vehicle, what YOU use it for and how YOU feel about it that matters.

Personally I like the 80 because of what I use it for. If I wanted a pure 4 wheeler I would more than likely take a rubi and fix it up.

The one thing that CANT be argued. The Jeep is to off road vehicles what the Harley is to motorcycles. It is an icon. Its an icon that breaks down just as often, needs just as much attention (work) and breads just as much affection. The only Cruiser that can compare to the icon is the 40, except for the break downs...

We had a Jeep (Cherokee) and it was a decent truck but the motor always leaked oil. My dad sold it to a Mechanic at his work and he fixed the oil leak. The leak was due to a twisted valve cover gasket ie assembly error.
I live close to Toledo where they make the Wrangler and Cherokee. They are not exactly put together by "Crafts people" The plant follows the typical Chrysler Quality system, which is now referred to as WCM (World Class Manufacturing) by Fiat. They had over 900 of the new Cherokees sitting due to a transmission programming issue before it launched. They use reactive QC instead of Proactive. I have worked for Honda and Jeep and HD and there is no comparison.

Side note: I interviewed at Jeep for an engineering position and they told me they were hiring 2 engineers and it would be 60hrs/week. I said so your paying 2 guys 20hrs overtime wk, instead of hiring a 3rd and paying benefits. They said exactly, it's cheaper

The Rubicon does not have the quality in design and assembly the Toyota does (never will, till it's bought out by Japanese). The $51K sticker on my truck equates to $75K in today's dollars. A jeep is also not $75K

I'd say a Rubicon has an advantage over an 80 series back to front.

More power, better mpg, better stock offroad, more after market support, 4.1 T-case (not even possible for an 80 without major work)

For all the crap we give Jeeps, they got it right with the rubicon unlimited. Great for overlanding but at the same time great in the rough stuff.

It is what I wish the FJ Cruiser should have been.

Oh and a diesel version soon enough.

But then you compare the price of the 80 vs a new unlimited rubicon and you see where the fact that it is 30 year old tech shines through.

apples to apples you could build one hell of an 80 for the price of a stock new or even used rubicon

and as they say money talks

Plus you get a removable top.

Wait.

Is this tech?

I should offer to sell something.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

(the smileys still suck)

I always have to chuckle when the "...seats 7 people..." argument gets thrown in the mix.

Must be Toyota factory lore - they said that about the FJ40 as well. :)

And it can "go 70mph all day long."

:lol:

My grandfathers pickup held 10 passengers.....
My grandfather and grandmother up front and 8 grand kids in the rear bed so anything is possible. : )

I will own a Rubicon one of these days!......Maybe........maybe not...................not.

It's Batman. No it's Superman. No super powers. Yea, but Kryptonite.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread...

-c3699692-8418-4543-9ba2-5927c8e75bef.jpeg

Jeeps are still made by Dodge or Chrysler or Daimler or Fiat or whatever right?? Yeah, I remember my sweet brand new 98' with the blown HG at 35K miles...yeah, that was awesome! Give me a Cruiser any day of the week...hands down...no question...end-of-debate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom