4 door Rubicon vs. 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow. That's completely different. Most G-wagens, regardless of year, are possibly the most-capable factory off-road vehicles ever built! Even the early ones from the 80s had locking differentials front and rear. They were built more like medium-duty trucks than even the mighty FZJ80s. Center of gravity is surprisingly low. They were designed as army trucks for severe off-road duty. I love some of the reviewers who said that they were screaming like little girls during the testing, and the G-wagens STILL didn't tip over or roll!

Although I think that the FZJ80 AND the Rubicon are fine vehicles, modern G-wagens are incredible vehicles, once you get past the bling, pomp and circumstance.

And the old ones?

Check out this page: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18910560

And then tell me you don't want one!

The old ones were nearly completely mechanical... not a microprocessor in sight! They are superbly rugged, EVEN MORE SO THAN AN 80. How do I know? I have looked at them, in detail, side by side. There is NO comparison in build quality. I own an 80 and I really love it, but in terms of sheer build quality, the German rig is on top... by quite a lot. The frame is more rugged, the driveline is more rugged, the body is more rugged... everything.

That said, the 80 can cruise in quiet comfort at 80MPH, and the older G-wagens can't do that, although the new ones can.

Muddy1

I think you are very misinformed.

G-Wagens are lighter duty than 80-Series Land Cruisers in every way...frame, axles, drivetrain. The supensions are roughly equal. The only comparable version would be the G-Class military vehicles that are not available to the public. The general consensus is that a civilian G-Wagen can't handle 35" tires.

My 80 doesn't have any computers either...just like most diesel 4x4's of the era.

Having just sold my 2004 jeep rubicon.I would say he bragging before hes ever had to work on that heep.Yes the rubicon climbed well not as well as my toyota truck85/86 truck with lockers and a dual case. My Toyota have not been recalled for faulty heads like the jk's have I just bought my lexus 450 and its engineered way better then the jeep. The clutch in my jeep failed last xmass.when we got it apart and that process was worse the pph on the lexus.It would seem that jeeps engineers couldn't use the same bolt size more then twice every two bolts was a different wrench size including two torrexon the very top male ones at that.When we got it apart we found the front bearing retainer broke off when the throwout bearing got caught it the pressure plate.hmmm Never had that happen with my toyota clutch. the linkage for the jeep was external and didnt want to seperate from the body.more parts to buy.the exhast has to be removed from the manifold back ,Again single use bolts ....more money.Fried rubicon keep breaking auto transmission mounts and the lockers like to stop working at time there needed most.My experience with the jeep rubicon was its was worse engineered thing I have ever owed .Hell it was hard even someone to buy it at a reasonable price. 14000. for a lifted 2004 regeared to 4.88,s. full roll cage and custom bumpers 12000 pound winch took 4 months to sell .Oh and they have a fuel cut off at 93 mph except i WAS DRIVING 73 ,TIRE SIZE THE NEW GEARS and I hadn't changed the speed o yet.which is also electronic and cannot be reset for 33 inch tires with 4.88, let alone 35 in tires . Bottom line is let your friend think his is the greatest and be there to tow him out when it falls apart on the trail or freeway. The day it sold was one of the best days I've had in a long time.Jeep rubicons MY THEY REST IN PIECES, and my god have mercy on there useless souls

I helped a 2013 Jeep J/K from loosing control after its brakes stopped working coming down from Rogers Pass in Panamint last year in the same spot I helped the same guy in another Jeep the previous year when he blew the top off of his brake fluid reservoir. The Family was so thankful I was there to help them. If you ask me that is to new to start showing issues. If it happen again this year I will kindly tell them it is time for an upgrade.

I loved my jeep that had a swapped in Dana 44 and Dana 60, a swapped in 302, and a swapped in 4 speed transmission. Why did I feel like I needed to install new parts? Oh yea because the stock ones were not up to the task of 37 inch boggers. I did like that it would literally go anywhere I pointed it. It was set up perfect by the time I was done. I sold it mainly because I didn't have space for my 4 kids.
Now my 80 rolls on stock axles (upgraded shafts), stock transmission, stock transfer case, and stock engine. With 38s on it it will pretty much go anywhere I want it to. Alot of places a vehicle that size shouldn't that's for sure. It's more fun to wheel and turns heads everywhere. Everyone has seen a lifted jeep. Few have seen a lifted and dented 8 passenger station wagon

I'd rather have the $40k 4door jk any day. But what can $35k create if spent on a $5k fzj ?

This for sure. Along with all of the other comments too I agree with. You can't compare them IMO. $40k for a Rubi, enough said for comparison, there isn't one. Now try comparing any of the same years, 97 FZJ vs. 97 Jeep, or 2014 Rubi vs. 2014 200 series. Still not apples to apples, just different vehicles. The percentage of 'show' Jeeps on the road ruin it for the serious wheelers.

uploadfromtaptalk1409967392424.jpg
damn me and my big mouth. Did this at the gas station of all places tonight

I had a 04 and 05 Rubicon. They were much more capable than my locked 80. Like others stated not as comfortable as an 80. They were easy to work on and great to drive with the top down.
I would not trade my 80 for another one though. I like the space and craftsmanship better.

nothing wrong with a JK but i needed something that would hold 7 people.

anyone saying a JK rubicon is weak needs to see one in action. amazing for a stock truck.

I think you are very misinformed.

G-Wagens are lighter duty than 80-Series Land Cruisers in every way...frame, axles, drivetrain. The supensions are roughly equal. The only comparable version would be the G-Class military vehicles that are not available to the public. The general consensus is that a civilian G-Wagen can't handle 35" tires.

My 80 doesn't have any computers either...just like most diesel 4x4's of the era.
OK, my intent is not to get into a flame war here. I like BOTH vehicles. I don't know where you are getting your information comparing the two.

I'm coming clean. I OWN a 1983 G-Wagen. Having worked on BOTH the 80 and the G-Wagen, I am NOT MISINFORMED.

My 1983 G-Wagen is definitely built more stoutly than my 80. They are both sitting in my garage, right next to each other.

The G wagen weighs more, the metal is thicker, and having taken things apart (drive line, door panels, engine components), it is way way more stout. It is essentially a military vehicle that is barely street-legal. You can come over and compare. The frame, axles, and drivetrain ARE more stout. The sheet metal used to form the doors and hood, etc. are just super-thick. It is also really stripped down compared to the 80. No carpeting, no alloy wheels, no power seats, no power windows, no power door locks, no computers, no catalytic converters or soot traps, yet it still weighs more... In fact, that's part of it's problem. It is built to go off-road, and it can barely manage to hold 70MPH on the freeway, and it will complain a LOT when it does it.

Again, I don't want flame wars here. I love both vehicles. BUT, the 1983 300GD is much more stoutly built, and I am willing to stand by that statement. I own BOTH.

Muddy1

Last edited:
Go back and read the posts in chronological order. The OP specifically asked how an unlocked 80 would compare to a Rubicon.

A Rubicon is a stock jeep. It comes from the manufacturer in that stock configuration. Dual lockers, electronic sway disconnect and 4:1 TC.

This is such a dumb topic and has been brought up over and over again. Drive whatever you want to and let your friend drive whatever he wants to, go out and have fun!

Everyone's needs are different, whats better a spoon or a fork??

a stock jeep is not a rubicon.compare apples to apple and fully loaded cruiser will do what the jeep will

Jeeps are so cool! Barbie drives one!
Also phrased as:
I like the look of the Jeeps, with all the hot chicks driving them...
This is how I slammed a professional acquaintance of mine, who got his first one and told me he could wheel it harder (stock, not a Rubi). That shut him up cold in the crowd that was giggling as they listened...

That being said - Hand it to Jeep - they make the only solid axle dedicated 4WD for off roading these days sold in USA. The 4 door versions look very cool and even better when equipped. You can have a fine time with them. But with the 80, it is "Built not Bought". The difference between old car guys and new car guys is that the new car buyer writes a check, the old car guy pays for his will blood, sweat, and beers. Its a love and addiction thing.

Any A$$hole with a lot of cash can drop $40k on a loaded Jeep and then drop it off at 4WheelParts for an extra $10k of bolt ons. More power too 'em.

My question to the OP is this: why does winning the argument plague you? Your are thinking about it all wrong, like it's an apples to apples debate. His truck is like 20 years newer, which is a quantum leap in technology. He should be embarrassed if his truck did NOT mop up the trails with your fossil of technology. Tell him to get his 1995 jeep and meet you at the trail head. Better yet, Tell him to meet your 1975 FJ40... Then tell him to shut up.

[QUOTE="Everyone's needs are different, whats better a spoon or a fork??
"A Spork" why? You only need one.[/QUOTE]
Damn you beat me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom