4 door Fj45 on 80 series chassis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well while trying to find a solution to that transmission issue, i had to keep going so..... we are doing the driver and passenger sides floors.
We hand fabbed the floor pans fron 16 gauge sheet metal..... cut out the rusty ones and welded in the mew ones....... danm, i wish that tranny i got was a 6L80😡😡😡😡

IMG-20210922-WA0260.jpg

20210922_153602.jpg

20210922_153552.jpg

20210922_153543.jpg

20210922_153702.jpg

I attempted to have a machine shop re-spline a 90 output in 32-spline and because it's one piece with a clutch basket it won't fit in the lathe. I have heard there was a super rare 32-spline output, but I've never seen it and if you found it I'm sure it would be more expensive than buying a used 6L80 transmission. You could keep your 90 transmission and use a Northwest Fab Black Box as the adapter and specify the 29-spline input when you order it, that is what I am using on my FJ45. The simplest route is to just get a used 80 from a 2007-2013 GM truck with 4wd. Do not get one from a car because the whole transmission must come apart to change the output from car to truck, can be done but way more effort and cost and tracking down parts. Also make sure the sticker on the side of the transmission matches a sanity check with the vehicle it was removed from, again because you need to have the engine computer you buy match year to year with the controller inside the transmission! Then order an unlocked engine computer from somewhere like PSI or Speartech and specify that you need the engine computer to match the year of your transmission, or the VIN from that vehicle. They will also need to know the part number on the fuel injectors and the engine size.

I attempted to have a machine shop re-spline a 90 output in 32-spline and because it's one piece with a clutch basket it won't fit in the lathe. I have heard there was a super rare 32-spline output, but I've never seen it and if you found it I'm sure it would be more expensive than buying a used 6L80 transmission. You could keep your 90 transmission and use a Northwest Fab Black Box as the adapter and specify the 29-spline input when you order it, that is what I am using on my FJ45. The simplest route is to just get a used 80 from a 2007-2013 GM truck with 4wd. Do not get one from a car because the whole transmission must come apart to change the output from car to truck, can be done but way more effort and cost and tracking down parts. Also make sure the sticker on the side of the transmission matches a sanity check with the vehicle it was removed from, again because you need to have the engine computer you buy match year to year with the controller inside the transmission! Then order an unlocked engine computer from somewhere like PSI or Speartech and specify that you need the engine computer to match the year of your transmission, or the VIN from that vehicle. They will also need to know the part number on the fuel injectors and the engine size.
Can't thank you enough for the info. You probably noticed that this slowed me down considerably.....
Ok... i looked into the black box and i have a few questions since you are running one.
what transfer case are you using with it ? I do have the one from the 80 series and can probably get one from a 60 series. I also have one from a 3 speed . Which one do you think will work best ? If all i need to do is order and bolt it on , that might be the route i'll take. Again, thank you !

Afraptor came to the rescue and offered a solution. The Black box idea seems like my best option. We kept working on the 45 while i did some research on all that and advsnced on rust repairs . My other projects saw some action too . Here are a few shots of my FJ40. almost done with it.

20210929_145802.jpg

IMG-20210929-WA0151.jpeg

20210929_160507.jpg

IMG-20210929-WA0199.jpg

20210929_160413.jpg

Black box to 60 series split case

When you said a 80 case I was thinking full time case (HF2AV) because that's all we got in the US. I forgot the other markets got the HF2A part time Case.
I prefer the part time Case so I was thinking the split case.
I have never heard of any one breaking a HF2AV case.
So no I don't see any advantage over the HF2A and it's most likely more durable then the HF2AV because it does not have the Viscous coupler.
Hope this helps ;)

When you said a 80 case I was thinking full time case (HF2AV) because that's all we got in the US. I forgot the other markets got the HF2A part time Case.
I prefer the part time Case so I was thinking the split case.
I have never heard of any one breaking a HF2AV case.
So no I don't see any advantage over the HF2A and it's most likely more durable then the HF2AV because it does not have the Viscous coupler.
Hope this helps ;)
The one i have was imported from the states . It is clearly a full time 4wd. Some here claim that it is better for reasons of handling. Others swear that it affects their gas milage.
Being that i elected to use a GM 6 liter engine, i can't whine about fuel economy and consumption. I could have made my life easy and used a 1hz, but no..... i want to blow my friends off the road and sound good doing it, i guess that's a small price to pay for vanity😅
The HF2AV as you call it is available here and quite plentiful. I also have access to the split case t-case from a 60 series. I'll give that HF2A a try and see how that goes.
Your input and knowledge are apreciated !

Ok. Ordering a Black box from Northwest Fab..... danm. $2089.90. That makes a huge hole in my budget , but i'm already in too deep and i have set aside great excuses to justify the expense..... car was cheap...... engine and tranny combo was cheap...... doing all of it in my own shop so labor is cheap to inexistant....... No stopping me now , so on we go , hoping that this devil won't eat me whole.
So as we kept working on rust repairs, the last 2 of the body mounts were fabricated and installed. The exhaust system is built and installed. I did so using the OE manifolds for now and 2.5" tubing going into a Y junction, exiting into a 3.5" PYPES Violator . Tail pipe exits under the rear driver side door. Can't wait to hear it roar.
I also addressed the steering. I gpt some advice from Billy Mc Kinnon , from Australia and i shortened the original FJ45 column , ridding it off of the original column's rag joint mount. We got the end machined and splined to accept the 80 series' u joint. We also shortened the collapsible mid steering shaft from the 80 series. Re-splined the end and that was all she wrote for steering...
Good to go ! Pics on all that later......
We also took out the brake booster from the fj45 and slightly modified the firewall to make it accept the 80 series booster and master cylinder.
Easy snizy...... the old hydrolic clutch madter had to be removed to fit the brake booster but i won't need a clutch anymore anyway..... as i said, i'll post pics of it all later.

awesome work and quick progress! that 40 looks awesome as well. I am trying to justify a black box from northwest fab, looking forward to see you receive/install!

Can't thank you enough for the info. You probably noticed that this slowed me down considerably.....
Ok... i looked into the black box and i have a few questions since you are running one.
what transfer case are you using with it ? I do have the one from the 80 series and can probably get one from a 60 series. I also have one from a 3 speed . Which one do you think will work best ? If all i need to do is order and bolt it on , that might be the route i'll take. Again, thank you !
Seems like you already got it ordered, which is great. I have one BB with a split case and one that is attached to an HF2AV, but not run yet. They seem to work fine with either transfer case so it just comes down to wanting AWD or not. I would DEFINITELY add a reservoir and external vent! They get hot and try and blow oil out the seals, so give it more oil and a place up higher to vent so it's happy. Don't be like me and leave it completely sealed!

Seems like you already got it ordered, which is great. I have one BB with a split case and one that is attached to an HF2AV, but not run yet. They seem to work fine with either transfer case so it just comes down to wanting AWD or not. I would DEFINITELY add a reservoir and external vent! They get hot and try and blow oil out the seals, so give it more oil and a place up higher to vent so it's happy. Don't be like me and leave it completely sealed!
Will do..... thanks !

Today we started working on the bed. We're gonna build this one from scratch. I still have the fj45 's bed butot is badly rusted. I can do rust repairs but we have enough of that with this project as it is .
I started by planning it. I considered permanentlyfixing it to the cab. That's pretty cumbersome amd moving will be hell . So , split bed and cab design it is.
We mocked up the rear part of a 40 cab to be used as a bed. I liked the look, so here we go.....

20211014_144653.jpg

20211014_144701.jpg

20211014_144718.jpg

20211014_144901.jpg

20211014_150727.jpg

The repairman failed to show up today to fix this welder so we stayed busy by trying to figure out suspension lift. I am thinking 3.5- 4" maximum lift.
We imstalled the 37" tires from my fj40 to get an idea of what it should look like when done.
I love it . Tell me what you think.
If anyone can propose a good suspension kit for this thing, don't be shy. All input is appreciated

IMG-20211016-WA0045.jpeg

IMG-20211016-WA0049.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom